1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    18 Oct '09 20:00
    The College Bowl game system needs changing. I think only those teams that win there conefrence should play in Bowl games, regardless of there poll ranking. There are about twice as many bowl games as there needs to be. Cutting the amount of bowl games in half would give more credibility to the teams playing in them. This is not going to happen of course, but college bowl games should be about quality play. Not the almighty dollar 😏
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '09 20:31
    Originally posted by bill718
    [bowl games should be about quality play. Not the almighty dollar 😏[/b]
    Two questons, what world are you from and how did you get here?
  3. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 16:022 edits
    You value quality play? A most heretical concept indeed. How dare anyone blaspheme the Almighty Dollar!!
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 16:50
    It used to be that only the winner of conference went to bowl games. I think a change in rules to the old form would ruin conferences. Why would anyone want to be in the SEC and have to beat Florida, LSU, Alabamba etc if they could be in a bad coference and play in a bowl game? Especially if you had enough name power to be independent and get a good schedule (Notre Dame now, Penn State previously, perhaps everyone in the top 40 if it helped them get to bowl games in the future). I believe that if you want to see go games week in week out, this would not help -- what you need is to reward teams that play tough games and discount teams that win without playing tough competition. This would lead to better out of conference games, formation of strong confernces and then good conference games and the best teams play each other in bowl games anyway.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    19 Oct '09 18:18
    Originally posted by bill718
    The College Bowl game system needs changing. I think only those teams that win there conefrence should play in Bowl games, regardless of there poll ranking. There are about twice as many bowl games as there needs to be. Cutting the amount of bowl games in half would give more credibility to the teams playing in them. This is not going to happen of course, but college bowl games should be about quality play. Not the almighty dollar 😏
    Bill, it used to be that way, but when it was, the conferences were smaller. There is no advantage to the mega conferences if only one school could go to a bowl. You would see them shift back to many smaller conferences, and the quantity of bowl games would not reduce tremendously. I would say if you placed a limitation of 3 teams from any conference going bowling under the present conference alignment, then you may have fewer games, but you would also have lower quality. The third place team from the Mac is not going to be a better team than the 4th best team from the Big 12, Pac 10, SEC, or Big 10 more than likely. As long as they can find advertising sponsors for the games, the games will be there. If you ever want to see the elimination of televised sports, let Congress repeal advertising as a tax deductible expense, and they all go bye bye.
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 14:02
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Bill, it used to be that way, but when it was, the conferences were smaller. There is no advantage to the mega conferences if only one school could go to a bowl. You would see them shift back to many smaller conferences, and the quantity of bowl games would not reduce tremendously. I would say if you placed a limitation of 3 teams from any conference go ...[text shortened]... ed sports, let Congress repeal advertising as a tax deductible expense, and they all go bye bye.
    I agree - as long as people watch these games, all of these bowls will continue to exist - and there will probably be more of them. (in fact, a new bowl game was recently announced that will be playing in Yankee Stadium),

The question I have is -- who exactly watches most of these games? The premier bowls usually have worthy matchups that people would want to see. But does anyone really care about the International Bowl? Outside of alumni, these games offer zero interest level. Are alumni enough to attract big money from advertisers? Wouldn't the money better be spent on ads for a Kenny Loggins Christmas Special or any of the zillion other holiday specials that air at this time of the year?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 14:271 edit
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I agree - as long as people watch these games, all of these bowls will continue to exist - and there will probably be more of them. (in fact, a new bowl game was recently announced that will be playing in Yankee Stadium),

The question I have is -- who exactly watches most of these games? The premier bowls usually have worthy matchups that people would ristmas Special or any of the zillion other holiday specials that air at this time of the year?
    To be honest, I like watching my Buckeyes in any bowl they attend. After all, who doesn't want to follow their team all the way through post season and watch them end it all with a potential win? In fact, if beaseball had a similar system perhaps it would be more entertaining to me than simply watching a few select teams dominate year after year.

Edit: Of course this year, I don't think they will be going to a bowl. 😳
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 16:40
    Originally posted by whodey
    the Toilet bowl still has an opening. 😉:'(
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 21:17
    To be honest, I like watching my Buckeyes in any bowl they attend. After all, who doesn't want to follow their team all the way through post season and watch them end it all with a potential win? In fact, if beaseball had a similar system perhaps it would be more entertaining to me than simply watching a few select teams dominate year after year.

You are ridiculous. Ohio State loses one conference game (after being one away from tying the conference record for most consecutive road victories) after losing a fairly competitve game against USC and now you think the Buckeyes are the Reds. Despite what you might hear, the Big 10 is a competitive conference and Ohio State simply is not going to win the conference every year.
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    20 Oct '09 21:35

all you need to make it to a bowl is a .500 record. Ohio will be going to a bowl of some sort, and it will most likely be a bowl that most people have actually heard of.

then again, if they end up in one of those legions of no-name bowls, I would agree with you that this would constitute "not going to a bowl".
  11. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    21 Oct '09 01:36
    Well, the Insight Bowl is played just a handful of miles down the road from me, and i go with one of my kids each year. It allow me to see a Big 12 v a Big Ten team. Since I'm a Big ten fan this lousy crap bowl works just fine for me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree