1. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    708
    19 Sep '13 05:36
    Giving up a first round pick.

    Excellent pick up for the Colts with ballard out and a great opportunity for Richardson who will now have a top tier organization behind him.
  2. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    1810
    19 Sep '13 15:23
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    Giving up a first round pick.

    Excellent pick up for the Colts with ballard out and a great opportunity for Richardson who will now have a top tier organization behind him.
    Trades are always unexpected in the NFL and this one is no exception. The Browns are now fully stocked with draft picks for 2014 including 7 in the first four rounds and they will obviously be targeting a franchise QB like Bridgewater, McCarron or, gulp, Manziel among other pieces. Seems logical if you're competing in the AFC North with Flacco, Big Ben and now The Ginger and his freak receiver.

    I guess if you'd rather build around pieces other than your running back who may have only a few years of prime before they're broken down, it's not a terrible idea, but it can't be anything Browns fans can be happy about. They've essentially punted away this season and will tank for a top 3 pick only two games in.
  3. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    708
    19 Sep '13 17:01
    Originally posted by Zamboner
    Trades are always unexpected in the NFL and this one is no exception. The Browns are now fully stocked with draft picks for 2014 including 7 in the first four rounds and they will obviously be targeting a franchise QB like Bridgewater, McCarron or, gulp, Manziel among other pieces. Seems logical if you're competing in the AFC North with Flacco, Big Ben an ...[text shortened]... y've essentially punted away this season and will tank for a top 3 pick only two games in.
    Well put. It is a good move in the NFL of today when you can Draft a first round talent at QB, stock up on top talent at wide reciever and running backs are seemingly abundant enough to snatch one late in the draft or, failing that, acquire one in free agency.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    The Energizer
    where you want to be
    Joined
    28 Jan '07
    Moves
    66534
    19 Sep '13 23:381 edit
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    Well put. It is a good move in the NFL of today when you can Draft a first round talent at QB, stock up on top talent at wide reciever and running backs are seemingly abundant enough to snatch one late in the draft or, failing that, acquire one in free agency.
    However, there are a few things you are forgetting here.
    First, the pick the Browns spent of Richardson was much higher than the
    pick they will receive in return for him.

    Second, the Browns already paid the signing bonus to Richardson, so the
    Colts get him at a discount.

    Third, there are no guarantees on ANY of the QB's listed being a "franchise" QB.
    Including Manziel (if and when he comes out this year).
    I personally think Manziel will be the next Tebow. A guy destined to play a
    new position if he wants to play on Sundays.

    This was a win-win for the Colts because they fill a need.
    It is a win-win for Richardson because he gets out of Cleveland and goes
    to a team competing for the playoffs.
    However, for Cleveland, I see it as a losing proposition unless they end up
    getting very lucky in the draft. Granted, with that many high picks, you
    would think the odds favor them not totally screwing it up.
Back to Top