Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Standard member deathbypawn
    Pancake Gobbler
    31 Jan '07 04:11
    so do travis lutter and matt serra have any chance to beat anderson silva and george st. pierre. In my opinion the champs will win overwhelmingly...I am really looking forward to seeing quentin rampage jackson fight as well as mirco crocop.

    Any MMA fans out there who do you think will win?
  2. 31 Jan '07 04:16
    Originally posted by deathbypawn
    so do travis lutter and matt serra have any chance to beat anderson silva and george st. pierre. In my opinion the champs will win overwhelmingly...I am really looking forward to seeing quentin rampage jackson fight as well as mirco crocop.

    Any MMA fans out there who do you think will win?
    They have no chance. Only a hail mary would save them. I don't know if they'll get knocked out, but they won't win. I mean, did you see St.Pierre slap Hughes around like he owned him? The guy is a freak, and he is the rightful welter weight champ, I think he'll be there for a long time!
  3. Standard member deathbypawn
    Pancake Gobbler
    31 Jan '07 04:35
    for some reason matt serra vs george st pierre has been moved all the way to ufc 69...i just looked on the web site can you believe randy couture is fighting tim silvia for the belt oh my god ufc 68 will be the best card ever...rich franklin is fighting matt hughes is fighting and randy couture vs sivia are kidding me....for travis lutter vs anderson silva silva has nasty striking but lutter is better on the ground so if lutter stands toe to toe silva will dominate but if lutter can get silva to the ground who knows.

    Quintion rampage jackso is one of 3 men to beat chuck liddell so i am excited about him and mirko cro cop is the best heavy weight in the world...can you imagine randy couture beating silvia and then defending against cro cop wow I cant wait
  4. 03 Feb '07 21:33
    Originally posted by eddiedean
    They have no chance. Only a hail mary would save them. I don't know if they'll get knocked out, but they won't win. I mean, did you see St.Pierre slap Hughes around like he owned him? The guy is a freak, and he is the rightful welter weight champ, I think he'll be there for a long time!
    Matt hughes will regain the title IMO.
  5. 03 Feb '07 21:34
    Originally posted by deathbypawn
    for some reason matt serra vs george st pierre has been moved all the way to ufc 69...i just looked on the web site can you believe randy couture is fighting tim silvia for the belt oh my god ufc 68 will be the best card ever...rich franklin is fighting matt hughes is fighting and randy couture vs sivia are kidding me....for travis lutter vs anderson sil ...[text shortened]... .can you imagine randy couture beating silvia and then defending against cro cop wow I cant wait
    Cro Cop is not the best Hw of all time,that honor belongs to fedor.
  6. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    15 Feb '07 14:23
    Anyone watch last night? I'm getting keen on this sport. I still have a problem picking who I want to win.

    Basically, I wait til one guy is getting dominated for a round or so... and decide I want them to win.

    There was a fight last night with some guy 'Drew' I think his name was, he spent the whole match on his back against the wall. "Come on! Make it happen!"

    So, with about 35 seconds left in the last round he broke free and put a knee to this 'wrestler's' face. Took him OUT!

    The last fight was also good, the key match. Elbows to the skull ended the fight with heavy bleeding.

    After another thread here talking about this sport, as brutal as it seems I've decided it's safer than boxing. Boxers get pounded in the head time after time... in UFC, they end it quick.

    Good stuff, nice way to pass the time til baseball starts.

    P-
  7. 15 Feb '07 14:29
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Anyone watch last night? I'm getting keen on this sport. I still have a problem picking who I want to win.

    Basically, I wait til one guy is getting dominated for a round or so... and decide I want them to win.

    There was a fight last night with some guy 'Drew' I think his name was, he spent the whole match on his back against the wall. "Come on! ...[text shortened]... they end it quick.

    Good stuff, nice way to pass the time til baseball starts.

    P-
    Bloody savage.
  8. Standard member telerion
    True X X Xian
    15 Feb '07 17:31
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Anyone watch last night? I'm getting keen on this sport. I still have a problem picking who I want to win.

    Basically, I wait til one guy is getting dominated for a round or so... and decide I want them to win.

    There was a fight last night with some guy 'Drew' I think his name was, he spent the whole match on his back against the wall. "Come on! ...[text shortened]... they end it quick.

    Good stuff, nice way to pass the time til baseball starts.

    P-
    That was re-run from back last year.

    I always thought that the David Loiseau - Evan Tanner fight was kind of a disappointment. It's just a bummer to see a good fight end on one wicked elbow cut. There's some talk among fans that maybe elbows on the ground should be eliminated to reduce the number of stoppages. There are some guys who will be getting dominated on the ground, but throw a weak elbow from their back. They are very effective in stopping your opponent, but they can get a cut going and get a ref stoppage.

    Brandon Vera had a nice match. It's too bad it looks like he won't be staying with the UFC. He's getting offered insane money to move to EliteXC (a org that will probably fail within the year).

    The Fitch-Koscheck fight had a classic ending (though the rest of the fight is pretty boring thanks to Josh's lay 'n' pray). Quick question: Why do you refer to Koscheck as a "wrestler"? The guy is an extremely accomplished collegiate wrestler. Very legit. Maybe you mean that he is more now than just a wrestler?

    Anyway, I'm glad that you're diggin' the sport. It takes tremendous athleticism, and the strategy is so much more rich than in other fighting sports. If you really are starting to it, you should check out clips from the old UFC (no time limits, many fewer rules). It can give you a deep appreciation for why fighters are so well rounded now, the grappling/submission vs. stand-up interplay, and just how dominate the MMA fighters of today are compared to those of yesteryear.
  9. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    15 Feb '07 18:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    That was re-run from back last year.

    I always thought that the David Loiseau - Evan Tanner fight was kind of a disappointment. It's just a bummer to see a good fight end on one wicked elbow cut. There's some talk among fans that maybe elbows on the ground should be eliminated to reduce the number of stoppages. There are some guys who will be getting nd just how dominate the MMA fighters of today are compared to those of yesteryear.
    Thanx for the info, I'm not very good with names... so I won't be learning much, the effort is appreciated.

    I said 'wrestler' because he tends to want to get the other guy on the ground, and win that way rather than stand and fight (striker?).

    He was on top the whole match, making him seem a better wrestler than the other guy. There was no insult intended.

    Good stuff!

    I'll also add I don't mind the fight being stopped when someone is bleeding, that's his problem if he can't keep his blood on the inside where it belongs.



    P-
  10. 15 Feb '07 22:12 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by deathbypawn
    for some reason matt serra vs george st pierre has been moved all the way to ufc 69...i just looked on the web site can you believe randy couture is fighting tim silvia for the belt oh my god ufc 68 will be the best card ever...rich franklin is fighting matt hughes is fighting and randy couture vs sivia are kidding me....for travis lutter vs anderson sil ...[text shortened]... .can you imagine randy couture beating silvia and then defending against cro cop wow I cant wait
    george st. pierre was injured i think so he pulled out for now