1. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    13 Jun '09 20:25
    Originally posted by barstudd
    The Fifth place Asian Team will have nothing on Teams Like Brazil and Italy who New Zealand may face in The Confederation cup, So even if New Zealand Gets smashed in the confederations cup its still a good hit out before their qualifier against the 5th place asian team.

[b]The boys will do well. If they do Iraq Aus will really feel sick haha

Socce ...[text shortened]... group qualifiers in the Asian cup before the knockout stages....so really we dont need it![/b]
    The Oceania Group is total twaddle and should really be part of SE Asia or a Pacific Rim Group with some of the SE Asian teams.

I still can't understand how Australia managed to wangle a swap to the Asia group when they are Oceanic. They asked for it and got it. It smacks solidly of coruption 😉

There could be the conspiracy theory: Because Aus was in on the Iraq invasion the tofs at The FA put some weight behind their bid at FIFA. It's a laugh admittedly but not one that goes away.

NZ has proven they can beat Aus, but only when we have our English players.. which never happens.

Ryan Nelson apparently won't even be released until the second group match if we qualify.. that is club power they should not have.

Ricky Herbert the NZ coach has loads of experience and has built up a well rounded team capable of performing upsets but what s diff Nelso would make to the qualifiers.
  2. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 03:3617 edits
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    The Oceania Group is total twaddle and should really be part of SE Asia or a Pacific Rim Group with some of the SE Asian teams.

I still can't understand how Australia managed to wangle a swap to the Asia group when they are Oceanic. They asked for it and got it. It smacks solidly of coruption 😉

There could be the conspiracy theory: Because Aus was rounded team capable of performing upsets but what s diff Nelso would make to the qualifiers.
    The Oceania Group is total twaddle -
    Twaddle or not New Zealand like Australia for many years qualified for the 1 oceania position....but because the winning nation of oceania then go's on to play a nation who previously failed to qualify in their own zone, that to me gives a good impression of what Fifa think of Oceania... all 10 oceania Teams deserve to participate equally in the world cup qualifiers as any other nation around the world, but for the winner of Oceania they only have half a chance of qualifying even after winning the group zone, by then being forced to play a another game outside their zone, why have the Oceania Zone at all then?.....further more to be fair to all participants of Oceania New Zealand should have to also participate in the opening round of the Oceania Qualifying group, just like everyone else.

I still can't understand how Australia managed to wangle a swap to the Asia group when they are Oceanic. They asked for it and got it. It smacks solidly of coruption 😉 doesn't corruption have something to do with who the refs award cheap penalty's too?
    The American Samoa's and Cook Islands should have the same right's as any other nation in their zone to participate even if they do lose 16-0 to nations like fiji......in saying that New Zealand shouldn't get any favours either, just because they are the strongest team in the group, * By particpating in the earlier rounds of the tournaments the lower teams also deal with the prospect they may lose players from being sent off, so the same situation should be presented to New Zealand,
    and By allowing Australia to move to Asia once again clarify's what Fifa really think of Oceania.

should really be part of SE Asia or a Pacific Rim Group with some of the SE Asian teams.
    I agree!! Scrap Oceania, but not the teams as they all deserve equal rights and equal qualification opportunitys to the world cup as their much larger and stronger opponants (its a waste of time playing all those games for Oceania when the bottom line is Fifa dont want Oceania in their world cup because its a weak group)...all teams of the Oceania and Asian groups should play as one zone and be a part of the round 1 qualifications groups, (No exclusions or exceptions, or Byes)...no matter how big or small they may be, all should equally participate.

NZ has proven they can beat Aus, but only when we have our English players.. which never happens. on the odd occaission NZ have caused a boil over against the Socceroos, But as far as Europeon based players go, Australia are also most of the time in the same situation, but both teams have some great local talent also so dont be too discouraged., ...always rated Vaughan Coveny as a reasonable player for nz but not sure if he still represents NZ?
  3. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 16:23
    YouTube&feature=related
  4. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 19:32
    [b]The Oceania Group is total twaddle -
    Twaddle or not New Zealand like Australia for many years qualified for the 1 oceania position....but because the winning nation of oceania then go's on to play a nation who previously failed to qualify in their own zone, that to me gives a good impression of what Fifa think of Oceania... all 10 oceania Teams de ...[text shortened]... ted Vaughan Coveny as a reasonable player for nz but not sure if he still represents NZ?[/b]
    Aus is not in the same situation ... they wee granted a move to the Asian group even though they are not in the region.

Maybe is Aus can play in Asia Central some of the excess European teams play in Oceania. Good for the goose?

Coveny must be 45 haha.

4-0 after 25 mins Spain giving lessons to the young all whites scoring at will . NZ can't make a pass connect.. Spain are playing sublime football
  5. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 23:011 edit
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQVpYvP4toc&feature=related
    well well well...that appears to put another spin on Fifa's love affair.

89.51 minute free kick should have been given to scotland but was given to Italy instead. why?- appears the refs are looking for reasons to qualify some teams...especially the big teams like Italy who attract huge crowds.

So McTayto I see after watching that goal it was a qualification match, and that result meant Italy qualified....not sure what they qualified for? was it the 2006 world cup?
  6. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Jun '09 23:143 edits
    Aus is not in the same situation ... they wee granted a move to the Asian group even though they are not in the region.

Maybe is Aus can play in Asia Central some of the excess European teams play in Oceania. Good for the goose?

Coveny must be 45 haha.

4-0 after 25 mins Spain giving lessons to the young all whites scoring at will . NZ can't make a pass connect.. Spain are playing sublime football
    4-0 after 25 mins Spain giving lessons to the young all whites scoring at will . NZ can't make a pass connect.. Spain are playing sublime football oh dear not the first up result the lads were looking for......You mentioned in an earlier post New Zealand are in need of european based players, so I posted below New Zealands team for this game against spain, what changes would you make to the current lineup if all your european players had turned up?

New Zealand 0 - 5 Spain

12 Glen MOSS (GK)
    3 Tony LOCHHEAD
    6 Ivan VICELICH
    7 Simon ELLIOTT
    8 Tim BROWN (C)
    9 Shane SMELTZ (-76' )
    10 Chris KILLEN (-85' )
    11 Leo BERTOS
    15 Jeremy BROCKIE (-27' )
    17 Dave MULLIGAN
    18 Andy BOYENS
    ---------------------------
    substitutes
    1 Mark PASTON (GK)
    23 James BANNATYNE (GK)
    2 Aaron SCOTT
    4 Duncan OUGHTON
    5 Ben SIGMUND
    13 Andy BARRON
    14 Jeremy CHRISTIE (+27'😉
    16 Chris JAMES (+76'😉
    19 Steven OLD
    20 Chris WOOD
    21 Kris BRIGHT (+85'😉
    22 Jarrod SMITH

Iraq managed a 0-0 draw against South Africa, the question still remains, is this NZ line up still capable of defeating Iraq?

Aus is not in the same situation ... they wee granted a move to the Asian group even though they are not in the region. I realise Australia and New Zealand are now in different zones, and I disagree with how Fifa manage Oceania thats why I reckon it would be fair to all nations just to merge the 2 zones together.
  7. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    15 Jun '09 06:26
    [b]4-0 after 25 mins Spain giving lessons to the young all whites scoring at will . NZ can't make a pass connect.. Spain are playing sublime football oh dear not the first up result the lads were looking for......You mentioned in an earlier post New Zealand are in need of european based players, so I posted below New Zealands team for this game against ...[text shortened]... ia thats why I reckon it would be fair to all nations just to merge the 2 zones together.[/b]
    As you know there aren't enough Euro based players to make a difference against the form shown by Spain..amazing precision passing and brilliant ball skills way above any kiwis. Nelson (Blackburn) would make a big difference at the back. (Coveny is playing in Aus and isn't good enough at 37 to play for NZ.. hmm theres a thought.

Oceania is a stupid group but it is regional based. Just taking Aus out just made it worse. No one wants to play in Oceania.. disbanding it is the best and fairest way. Aus should be made to play in it's region like everybody else.

No way can you say it was right or fair to allow aus to play in the middle east. Is there any other example of a country playing in another region.
  8. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 00:141 edit
    As you know there aren't enough Euro based players to make a difference against the form shown by Spain..amazing precision passing and brilliant ball skills way above any kiwis. Nelson (Blackburn) would make a big difference at the back. (Coveny is playing in Aus and isn't good enough at 37 to play for NZ.. hmm theres a thought.

Oceania is a stupid grou o play in the middle east. Is there any other example of a country playing in another region.
    Here is an interesting stat for you.
    now I have excluded Tuvalu as they are not a member of Fifa, and Papua New Guinea who had not fielded a team for this qualification.

If Fifa merged both Oceania and Asia together there is a totel of 51 teams, New Zealand would be ranked 10th of 51 teams (highest ranked Oceania Nation) according to the current Fifa standings...and off course Australia ranked at number 1😉.

Oceania would then have the same qualification opportunitys as asia, it does give teams like New Zealand a little more than a half a point chance of qualifying, as it stands the 5th place Asia team V the 1st place Oceania game could go down to who is just having a lucky day?

If New Zealand or any other Oceania team for that matter can't cut a top 5 position after 4 or so rounds of Asia/Oceania group qualifiers then they wouldn't deserve to be at the world cup.

but as it stands playing for a 0.5 spot is ridiculous and unfair.
  9. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 12:56
    well well well...that appears to put another spin on Fifa's love affair.

89.51 minute free kick should have been given to scotland but was given to Italy instead. why?- appears the refs are looking for reasons to qualify some teams...especially the big teams like Italy who attract huge crowds.

So McTayto I see after watching that goal it was a qualifi ...[text shortened]... at result meant Italy qualified....not sure what they qualified for? was it the 2006 world cup?
    It was a qualification match for Euro 2008 finals
    A draw or win put us through and Italy out.
    Someone was smiling on Italy that day :'(
  10. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 23:47
    It was a qualification match for [b]Euro 2008 finals
    A draw or win put us through and Italy out.
    Someone was smiling on Italy that day :'([/b]
    well hopefully this time in their quest for a spot in the 2010 world cup doesnt have that same fate.

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/europe/standings/index.html

Still alive behind the netherlands who have already won the group in group 9 and qualified for the cup , scotland currently 2nd (7 points)with 2 games in hand opposed to FYRmacedonia 3rd (7 points)1 game in hand....I see if they last the group to run 2nd they will have to go into a sudden death play off....will be another nail biter for you like italy game.
  11. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Jun '09 23:592 edits

Oceania is a stupid grou o play in the middle east. Is there any other example of a country playing in another region.
    Only the one European based player? I was under the impression from your earlier post that New Zealand had a swag of European based players that didnt turn up for the recent games, and that New Zealand would be a stronger team if only they could only get these players to turn up.

New Zealand are still capable of upsets from time to time., many Kiwi's in the A-League which is much stronger that it was initially...

Just to rub it in:

Australia 2-1 Japan (cahill seem to love playing Japan, 2 goals)
    😉
    and my prediction moved one step closer on who New Zealand play in their final World Cup qualifier, as New Zealand will play the winner of Saudi Arabia V Bahrain
  12. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 20:12
    well hopefully this time in their quest for a spot in the 2010 world cup doesnt have that same fate.

Still alive behind the netherlands who have already won the group in group 9 and qualified for the cup , scotland currently 2nd (7 points)with 2 games in hand opposed to FYRmacedoni ...[text shortened]... l have to go into a sudden death play off....will be another nail biter for you like italy game.
    Scotland never take an easy road 🙁
  13. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    18 Jun '09 23:01
    Only the one European based player? I was under the impression from your earlier post that New Zealand had a swag of European based players that didnt turn up for the recent games, and that New Zealand would be a stronger team if only they could only get these players to turn up.

New Zealand are still capable of upsets from time to time., many Kiwi's in ...[text shortened]... their final World Cup qualifier, as New Zealand will play the winner of Saudi Arabia V Bahrain
    I know they have more in English football and playing across Europe. The coaches are always moaning about not being able to get them for int's. I think Ryan Nelson is the only Prem player.

NZ lost again.. 2-0 to SA in the confed cup. one last game againt Iraq to save some pride but I can't see it going well. The guys aren;t performing well under Ricky Herbert (ex-Oxford player)
  14. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Jun '09 07:394 edits
    I know they have more in English football and playing across Europe. The coaches are always moaning about not being able to get them for int's. I think Ryan Nelson is the only Prem player.

NZ lost again.. 2-0 to SA in the confed cup. one last game againt Iraq to save some pride but I can't see it going well. The guys aren;t performing well under Ricky Herbert (ex-Oxford player)
    Well your win for NZ against Iraq didnt quite happen as you were hoping for, but atleast they got something out of it in a 0-0 draw.

will need to improve over 2 games to qualify... but 😀 on the bright side Iraq are ranked 7th in Oceania/Asia Fifa rankings only slightly behind your next opp....so a nil all draw not too bad, and think yourself lucky your not going threw South America to qualify that would be a much harder task, Uruguay or Ecuador I think way to strong for NZ.

they would have to play the winner of Saudi Arabia (ranked 5th Asia/Oceania) V Bahrain (ranked 6th asia/Oceania), so a qualification is not totally beyond New Zealand (ranked 10th Asia/Oceania) provided they play a good away result they could be in for a good outcome?
  15. Standard memberbarstudd
    dinky-di Aussie
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Jun '09 08:073 edits
    Scotland never take an easy road 🙁
    I see they may not even get the chance to play in the hard road yet if they dont get the better stats.

I see that in Europe the 9 group winners qualify automatically.

Group 9 consists of five teams, one less than the other pools. When calculating the best runners-up, therefore, matches played against the sixth-placed finishers in Groups 1 to 8 will not be taken into consideration. The criteria will be as follows;
    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/europe/secondplace.html

According to this this then there is no guarantee Scotland dont finish within the top 8 of 9 statistics....so there is still a chance they may not even take the hard road yet?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree