1. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 10:03
    Originally posted by AussieG
    Brett Lee? I'm almost glad that he's not playing! Not only is he not the future of Australian cricket but his best is behind him too.. he doesn't have the pace any more and he can't swing it. Bring in the new guys I say..
    Still bowling at 150 km , has found how to reverse swing in English conditions. It would of been good watching him serve it up to those Pommies.

He will be back for the 3rd test.
  2. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 10:07
    Originally posted by InlandRevenueUK
    I actually think Panesar bowled acceptably. However Swann and Broad look ineffectual and once again Flintoff looks the only bowler who can keep the opposition batsmen under sustained presure.

So we will probably bowl him into the ground again and sound suprised that he has been injured for the nth time...
    They should of picked Harmison, his pace and bounce worries the Aussies.He also possesses a bit of arrogance , whereas Swann and Broad are more of your mummies boys.
  3. Standard memberElamef37
    Queenslander
    Tropical North
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 13:06
    Originally posted by boarman
    Still bowling at 150 km , has found how to reverse swing in English conditions. It would of been good watching him serve it up to those Pommies.

He will be back for the 3rd test.
    ...as long as Hilfenhaus stays!
  4. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 21:39
    Ponting should have declared after North had his century. He let emotion get in the way of a test win. Sure, letting Haddin make a century too was nice, but unnecessary in the match context.

It probably won't change the outcome of the series, but it might just have given the English belief, so the series might be closer than it should have been.
  5. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 21:59
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Ponting should have declared after North had his century. He let emotion get in the way of a test win. Sure, letting Haddin make a century too was nice, but unnecessary in the match context.

It probably won't change the outcome of the series, but it might just have given the English belief, so the series might be closer than it should have been.
    Nonsense! The Aussies had enough time to win the game but Englands last 2 batsmen did well to hold out. There were 69 balls to get the last wicket plus mop up a few runs (13 I think?) So credit to the last 2 English batsmen to hold out for that long. And the fact that England were only 13 in front by the end proves that Pontings declaration (and Australias lead) was pretty much spot on.

Say the Aussies got that last wicket with say, 9 overs left (which was quite possible) it would effectively nullify your point totally and render it incompetent.
  6. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 23:291 edit
    Originally posted by AussieG
    Say the Aussies got that last wicket with say, 9 overs left (which was quite possible) it would effectively nullify your point totally and render it incompetent.
    Yet the Aussies didn't, making me 100% right.

Again.

😏
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    12 Jul '09 23:44

Again.

😏
    aussie is right, who would've thought monty would've lasted 11 overs?
  8. Standard memberlordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    her special destiny
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 04:29
    Originally posted by trev33
    aussie is right, who would've thought monty would've lasted 11 overs?
    Agreed. If Australia couldnt get Panaser out in ten overs, then credit to England and they deserved a draw.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 07:29
    Originally posted by lordhighgus
    Agreed. If Australia couldnt get Panaser out in ten overs, then credit to England and they deserved a draw.
    The English team should be filling out lottery tickets after that near escape. When I was watching there were many near escapes for English batsmen.
  10. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 08:01

Ponting declared at the right time, how was he to know that the last session on day 4 would be washed out.
  11. Joined
    13 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 09:07

Again.

😏
    So are you trying to tell me that 11.5 overs ISN'T enough time to get the the English number 10 or 11 out? Come on now.. of course it is! You've just gotta give credit where it's due. Even though your cricket knowledge appears a little vague at times, surely you would agree with me here?

I know the Aussies didn't win on this occasion but given the same situation again, I would be very confident of victory next time - even against South Africa!
  12. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 09:26
    You all seem to be focussing on the wrong thing, ie: the tail-ender Houdini escape.
    The horrible decision dismissing Bopara could also have been a turning point. But again, this is not the issue.

Ponting should have declared, but he allowed emotion to cloud his judgement. He was having a laugh at the expense of the tiring English 'attack' and instead of showing belief in his bowlers he let his innings trundle along.
    Batting once after a first innings score of 450 odd is not likely, although the English batting almost turned that into a reality.
    I was impressed with Hauritz - I've never actually rated him as a threat.

Ponting made a big error in judgement and I hope he pays dearly for it, although I don't believe the English have it in them...
  13. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 10:35
    You all seem to be focussing on the wrong thing, ie: the tail-ender Houdini escape.
    The horrible decision dismissing Bopara could also have been a turning point. But again, this is not the issue.

Ponting should have declared, but he allowed emotion to cloud his judgement. He was having a laugh at the expense of the tiring English 'attack' and instead o ...[text shortened]... nt and I hope he pays dearly for it, although I don't believe the English have it in them...
    The only error in judgement is yours Crowley.

Given the time left to bowl out the English in the 2nd innings , he gave his bowlers ample time to do it.What he didnt count on was the 1 lost session on day four and the stubborn English tailenders.

You have shown in the past that you are not a Ponting fan and your criticism of him was always going to surface.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 11:26
    ahhhhh the pain!
  15. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    13 Jul '09 20:35
    Originally posted by boarman
    The only error in judgement is yours Crowley.

Given the time left to bowl out the English in the 2nd innings , he gave his bowlers ample time to do it.What he didnt count on was the 1 lost session on day four and the stubborn English tailenders.

You have shown in the past that you are not a Ponting fan and your criticism of him was always going to surface.
    Not a Ponting fan? I've said before that I think he is one of the most destructive batsmen I've ever seen.

He made a mistake in this test. No big deal. Hell, it happens to mediocre captains all the time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree