1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '12 22:21
    Big day in the pool and Phelps and Soni (among others) strike gold and Gabby Douglas takes the women's all around title in gymnastics.

I don't follow Olympic sports very closely, but one would figure that the US would expand its lead once track starts as the Chinese are not usually as competitive on the track as they are in the pool.

The US got the most medals in Beijing, but the Chinese won more gold. It would be nice to take the most gold in London.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    02 Aug '12 22:251 edit
    I will say though that I gain little pleasure watching the basketball team beat up on poor Nigeria, jumping up and down celebrating as they whoop up on a bunch of players who are really doing their best, but just don't belong on the same court.

I don't know what can be done about it. I guess you can't just give the US a bye into the semis or something, but they're jumping around a little too much for my taste.
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    02 Aug '12 22:36
    Originally posted by sh76
    I will say though that I gain little pleasure watching the basketball team beat up on poor Nigeria, jumping up and down celebrating as they whoop up on a bunch of players who are really doing their best, but just don't belong on the same court.

I don't know what can be done about it. I guess you can't just give the US a bye into the semis or something, but they're jumping around a little too much for my taste.
    Why have pity on any country who sends a team to the Olympics?
    No, they won't all measure up, but if that was their worry, then why did they enter?
    They knew who Goliath was before they came.
    Don't think for a moment they don't all entertain the notion of being David.

Maybe you don't remember when the USSR used to dismantle all comers in basketball.
    Our college kids thrown together into a a makeshift team, against teams that had
    had played together for 8-10 years. Wasn't much fun then either.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    03 Aug '12 15:22
    Originally posted by shortcircuit

Our college kids thrown together into a a makeshift team, against teams that had
    had played together for 8-10 years. Wasn't much fun then either.
    Especially when they get three chances to shoot the winning shot.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree