1. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 15:37
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    if greece and denmark can win the euros then we all have a chance.
    You are right ,but unfortunetly i dont think England will ever win anything again for many a year to come !.
    The simple equasion is ... play a top ranking team and lose ,it's alright beating Switzerland and Poland but when it comes to the big boys ,say no more .
    If England were transformed in to the boxing world we would be FrankBruno , get fed easy wins with opponants with advertisements on the souls of their boots .
    Then, when a top fighter steps in to the ring thats it ,game over ..
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 16:22
    Originally posted by phil3000
    You are right ,but unfortunetly i dont think England will ever win anything again for many a year to come !.
    The simple equasion is ... play a top ranking team and lose ,it's alright beating Switzerland and Poland but when it comes to the big boys ,say no more .
    If England were transformed in to the boxing world we would be FrankBruno , get fed easy wins ...[text shortened]... e souls of their boots .
    Then, when a top fighter steps in to the ring thats it ,game over ..
    I have always had a soft spot for the English side, but got tired of their failures and excoriated them the last WC. I agree with you that within our life times we will not see any credible production, especially since nations like Spain caught up and won it all and are likely to keep improving. England indeed wilts against the big boys!
  3. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 16:24
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    what happened to freddy adu, i thought he was going to be the U.S. version of messi?
    he sort of dissappeared didn't he?
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 20:13
    Originally posted by Red Night
    he sort of dissappeared didn't he?
    He began playing really bad football and never truly developed, too easy to mark and disappeared in critical matches.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 20:18
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Nah! We can get better and keep all other sports as well. As for the kit, I agree entirely. we need a new and better looking one. Ice hockey? They're all Canadian anyway! Basketball players cannot dribble a soccer ball and are too tall like Crouch and would make fools of themselves on the pitch and football players are too bulky and slow.
    Football players are too bulky and slow? Which position? I think its hard to generalize when there are those that play football who run a 4.2 40yd dash.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 13:54
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Football players are too bulky and slow? Which position? I think its hard to generalize when there are those that play football who run a 4.2 40yd dash.
    Law of averages. Average weight in NFL is 250 lbs. or thereabouts. There's good reason they get clocked in 40 yd dash and not longer runs. They can't sustain such speeds and also need the rest of shifting offense/defense throughout the game. I don't know of any player who can run a 4.2 being agile in any other way. Just take a gander at the NFL college combine and watch the drills. American football is designed for short bursts of action and while a lot of key positions require agility they don't match soccer for suppleness and grace. Same applies to basketball. Perhaps the point guards might be schooled in soccer, but not likely they could translate their vision into a field as large as a normal pitch. Baseball? Nah. Let's not go there. Hockey? Nah also. There's good reason why crossover between sports rarely happens excepting kickers who come from soccer into NFL and do quite well until you see them try and tackle!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree