1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 12:53
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Damn lucky is what they were. Great game though. Now why doesn't Mexico play like that all the time? They could go very far.
    They played awful, as always, though with more heart than usual.

For me, you should cut that coach's head. Pronto.

He had the game in the pocket and he ordered (or allowed) the team to step back and defend, instead of going for the kill.

Bruce Arenas had, in my humble opinion, a little bit more gut than that.

Then again, it's not easy to play under the Mexican noon and at 2000 meters above the sea...
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Aug '09 14:59
    Originally posted by Seitse
    They played awful, as always, though with more heart than usual.

For me, you should cut that coach's head. Pronto.

He had the game in the pocket and he ordered (or allowed) the team to step back and defend, instead of going for the kill.

Bruce Arenas had, in my humble opinion, a little bit more gut than that.

Then again, it's not easy to play under the Mexican noon and at 2000 meters above the sea...
    Heart is what I was referring to. They lack guts most of the time. I'll never forget that semifinal in 86 WCup against Germany. They should have won. But, ah, guts, there were none! Mexico is one of the only teams of its caliber, along with Spain and Chile who have never shown thier caliber in the big tournaments.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 10:15
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Heart is what I was referring to. They lack guts most of the time. I'll never forget that semifinal in 86 WCup against Germany. They should have won. But, ah, guts, there were none! Mexico is one of the only teams of its caliber, along with Spain and Chile who have never shown thier caliber in the big tournaments.
    I beg to differ about Spain... or at least halfway, until the World Cup.

Indeed they have always underachieved to the names they have and the astonishing quality, but the Euro Cup may be a good sign that they may be changing.

Let's see. Do you think they'll deliver in South Africa?
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    14 Aug '09 12:02
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I beg to differ about Spain... or at least halfway, until the World Cup.

Indeed they have always underachieved to the names they have and the astonishing quality, but the Euro Cup may be a good sign that they may be changing.

Let's see. Do you think they'll deliver in South Africa?
    No reason for them not to. I think the loss to USA will shake them out of their doldrums.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree