1. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 01:56
    Originally posted by @radioactive69
    Buzz joined the site 11 years ago. Never been a subscriber. Played 65 games in total.

Tight ass troll !!!

P.s Gave BOTT a thumbs up. Wonders will never cease.
    Ooooh. I don't spend a lot of time on this site. Sue me.
    How is this defending the game of soccer?
    Answer: It isn't.
    Apparently that is very, very difficult since none of you can seem to do it. Not even much of an attempt.
    I actually expected some "you don't understand the beauty of the game" comments or such but that would take some eloquence and its always easier to attack someone personally for ....what exactly? Spending a few years without even coming to RHP? I mostly came back for greenpawn's blog. Great stuff. I promise you I don't troll on ANY other subject whatsoever. Just soccer. PS-It's just fun for me....I DON'T really care. I have friend at work whose daughters play soccer and I give him the same treatment. He takes it with good humor.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 02:03
    Originally posted by @buzz-meeks
    Apparently that is very, very difficult since none of you can seem to do it. Not even much of an attempt.
    I actually expected some "you don't understand the beauty of the game" comments or such but that would take some eloquence and ...[text shortened]... work whose daughters play soccer and I give him the same treatment. He takes it with good humor.
    I think they get offended by the fact that very few people in the US give their sports a second thought. It isn't that we dislike soccer or rugby, it is that we just don't care about either of them.
  3. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 03:15
    Originally posted by @eladar
    I think they get offended by the fact that very few people in the US give their sports a second thought. It isn't that we dislike soccer or rugby, it is that we just don't care about either of them.
    Then why have you bothered to comment in this thread. If you don't give it a second thought you wouldn't have spent so much time in here.

Lets face it. Gridiron is a sport that no-one else in the world is interested in playing. It is slow, boring, and quite nonphysical. The reason that Americans like it is that they get to spend most of the game stuffing their faces with hot-dogs and corn-jacks or whatever unhealthy food you guys stuff down your throats. Haven't you ever wondered why Americans are so obese ?
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 07:36
    Hey, I was just proving your claim that nobody cared about your loss to Iran to be wrong.

To check my figures doesn't take much, just Google 1994 World Cup, choose wiki page, and the 16 attendance figures will be at the bottom of the article. 2 mins max.

See we are entering vaguely racist territory now, with football (soccer) fans being from 'immigrant' communities, and so clearly not your typical American , by your earlier argument.

So we are done. Have fun with the gridiron, and its in no way pernickety rules
  5. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 08:26
    I actually expected some "you don't understand the beauty of the game" comments or such but that would take some eloquence and ...[text shortened]... work whose daughters play soccer and I give him the same treatment. He takes it with good humor.
    I find it hard to believe
    1) you have a job
    2) you have a friend
    So your friend at work comment is lala land.
    The thread is about the USA not making the world cup.
    Going by the reaction in the media and many football forums I read it does seem a bug deal to supporters.

Now you make a ludicrous racist comment that real Americans hate the game only immigrants follow the teams.
    Obviously you can provide a link to back that up?
  6. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 09:04
    Originally posted by @roma45
    I find it hard to believe
    1) you have a job
    2) you have a friend
    So your friend at work comment is lala land.
    The thread is about the USA not making the world cup.
    Going by the reaction in the media and many football forums I read it does seem a bug deal to supporters.

Now you make a ludicrous racist comment that real Americans hate the game only immigrants follow the teams.
    Obviously you can provide a link to back that up?
    Racist! Really? Immigrants to the USA like soccer? That's racist? Again with the personal attacks. No defense of soccer possible. Both of you now pulling the racist cards without knowing anything about me. I was just doing this in good fun hoping to rip apart any attempt at the defense of soccer as a sport but clearly neither of you two can do that so I'm done! You win the soccer discussion but on the other hand whereas before you were fellow chess players bantering back and forth about soccer you are now beneath contempt and nothing more needs to be directed at you.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 09:293 edits
    Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
    Hey, I was just proving your claim that nobody cared about your loss to Iran to be wrong.

To check my figures doesn't take much, just Google 1994 World Cup, choose wiki page, and the 16 attendance figures will be at the bottom of the article. 2 mins max.

See we are entering vaguely racist territory now, with football (soccer) fans being fr ...[text shortened]... lier argument.

So we are done. Have fun with the gridiron, and its in no way pernickety rules
    Ah, immigrant is racist.

I wonder why it is racist. Do you think all hispanics are immigrants?

You are the racist.

Are illegal immigrants US citizens? I know I am trodding on libtard theology here, but it is a valid question.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 09:35
    Racist! Really? Immigrants to the USA like soccer? That's racist? Again with the personal attacks. No defense of soccer possible. Both of you now pulling the racist cards without knowing anything about me. I was just doing this in good fun hoping to rip apart any attempt at the defense of soccer as a sport but clearly neither of you two can do that so I' ...[text shortened]... nd forth about soccer you are now beneath contempt and nothing more needs to be directed at you.
    Do you think baseball is a sport?

If so, then you can think of soccer as a variation of kick ball.
  9. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 09:54
    Racist! Really? Immigrants to the USA like soccer? That's racist? Again with the personal attacks. No defense of soccer possible. Both of you now pulling the racist cards without knowing anything about me. I was just doing this in good fun hoping to rip apart any attempt at the defense of soccer as a sport but clearly neither of you two can do that so I' ...[text shortened]... nd forth about soccer you are now beneath contempt and nothing more needs to be directed at you.
    Again you miss the point
    Not too bright are you,?

This thread has nothing to do with football being good or bad exciting or boring.

It's about USA not qualifying. And apparent "we don't care" attitude

You ludicrously claimed only the immigrants care. Why even make that statement?

The USA spent casts amount of money trying to qualify. Statements from players say they are gutted same on many fans forums.

Grid iron is boring that's a fact. Did you try and convince us otherwise? You can't now being torn apart you resort to playing the victim.

Just go to any bar in the UK. Preferably Glasgow and announce how boring soccer is. You will be in for a eye opener. Sorry I meant eyes closed

Look at Atlanta united. New club breaking all attendence records. Or are they all immegrants so don't count in your eyes?
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 09:563 edits
    Hi there Elador

Your pal Buzz joined this jolly little thread to explain away USAs elimination from this year's WC with 'nobody cares'. Or at least the ' average American' doesn't care.

Get back to you on that phrase.

His focus seemed to be NOW ( no idea about that, haven't commented on it) and back in 1998.

I have produced evidence that the 1994 WC in USA was heavily attended, over a million people watching live the last 16 games. Buzz can't be bothered to check those figures (what a surprise!), but then makes his statement that football (soccer) is popular amongst immigrants. ( no mention of illegal)

The 1994 WC was 23 years ago, so presumably most of these 'immigrants' will have children, born 'n' bred in the good old US of A. Football (soccer) fans, like their parents.

But, according to Buzz, they are not 'average Americans' , to go back to his earlier phrase.

I think that is borderline racist. Get back to me if you need any further clarification

How forming that argument makes ME racist in any way, I am struggling to see. 🙄
  11. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 10:09
    Hi there Elador

Your pal Buzz joined this jolly little thread to explain away USAs elimination from this year's WC with 'nobody cares'. Or at least the ' average American' doesn't care.

His focus seemed to be NOW ( no idea about that, haven't commented on it) and back in 1998.

I have produced evidence ...[text shortened]... ase.

I think that is borderline racist. Get back to me if you need any further clarification
    Might need to give him a while to get back to you. He's out getting his KKK uniform ironed. 😵
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 10:191 edit
    Hi there Elador

I have produced evidence ...[text shortened]... larification

How forming that argument makes ME racist in any way, I am struggling to see. 🙄
    Do you assume all in attendance were US citizens?
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 10:26
    More to the point, do you and Buzz claim that the only attendees at football (soccer) games in USA are 'immigrants' and their children and grandchildren born in the USA?

And do both of you still label these people (especially the latter 2 groups) NOT 'average Americans'?

To answer your question, I am unsure which games you are referring to. If you mean the WC in 1994, clearly not ALL would be US citizens. Are you saying that none were?
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 10:281 edit
    More to the point, do you and Buzz claim that the only attendees at football (soccer) games in USA are 'immigrants' and their children and grandchildren born in the USA?

And do both of you still label these people (especially the latter 2 groups) NOT 'average Americans'?

To answer your question, I am unsure which games you are referring to ...[text shortened]... If you mean the WC in 1994, clearly not ALL would be US citizens. Are you saying that none were?
    Of course not.

What fraction of US citizens do you believe are soccer fans?

What fraction of those attending the games were US citizens?

See, your argument is without merit.

Your race card comment was in itself racist.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    27 Oct '17 10:361 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Of course not.

What fraction of US citizens do you believe are soccer fans?

What fraction of those attending the games were US citizens?

See, your argument is without merit.

Your race card comment was in itself racist.
    No it wasn't. I was pulling Buzz up for a slightly racist slant to his argument. That in itself isn't racist.

As I said earlier, absolutely no idea about current interest in football in USA.

My contribution to this thread was to argue that when USA lost to Iran in '98, presumably the hundreds of thousands of attendees from the 94 WC were aware you had a *soccer* team. Average Americans or not.

If you agree with that point, then my work here is done.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree