1. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    16 Oct '17 21:02
    Originally posted by @roma45
    So two guys running into each other wearing crash helmets is a sports in the USA.
    And mega padding

Would take being hit by a 'linebacker', whatever that is, if I had full US football padding against being hit by, say, Billy Vunipola, in Rugby Union garb (relatively no protection)
  2. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    16 Oct '17 21:45
    Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
    And mega padding

Would take being hit by a 'linebacker', whatever that is, if I had full US football padding against being hit by, say, Billy Vunipola, in Rugby Union garb (relatively no protection)
    Remember wade Dooley?
    England player and total nutter
    A policeman in Blackpool nickname the Blackpool tower 6feet 8 inches.
    But when boots and helmet on a true giant not a lovable gentle giant

Met him a few times a while ago he was always looking for trouble. Not a bully though he would go through the padded brigade like a dose of salts
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    16 Oct '17 21:52
    Remember wade Dooley?
    England player and total nutter
    A policeman in Blackpool nickname the Blackpool tower 6feet 8 inches.
    But when boots and helmet on a true giant not a lovable gentle giant

Met him a few times a while ago he was always looking for trouble. Not a bully though he would go through the padded brigade like a dose of salts
    He played for Preston Grasshoppers in amateur days.

A real tough hombre. Approx 20 stone of muscle hitting you, unpadded.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Oct '17 00:52
    Originally posted by @blood-on-the-tracks
    And mega padding

The mega padding is what allows for the continuous collisions. The impacts in football are much more intense and far out number the collisions in rugby.

How many rugby players end up paralyzed for the rest of their lives? Why do some football players get paralyzed? Because it is such a wimpy sport.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20050420/neck-injury-most-common-with-football
  5. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    17 Oct '17 03:14
    Originally posted by @eladar
    The mega padding is what allows for the continuous collisions. The impacts in football are much more intense and far out number the collisions in rugby.

How many rugby players end up paralyzed for the rest of their lives? Why do some football players get paralyzed? Because it is such a wimpy sport.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20050420/neck-injury-most-common-with-football
    Watch a game of rugby league. Mega collisions every tackle. No padding. No prolonged stops after every play. Game continues non stop for 80 minutes with very few stoppages. Probably the most brutal and physical game in the world.

If you get a chance watch the Rugby League World Cup that is kicking off in a week or so. Australia should easily win it. Have won 10 of 14 World Cups and runners up in another 3. Should be some huge tackles.
  6. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    17 Oct '17 08:56
    Originally posted by @radioactive69
    Watch a game of rugby league. Mega collisions every tackle. No padding. No prolonged stops after every play. Game continues non stop for 80 minutes with very few stoppages. Probably the most brutal and physical game in the world.

If you get a chance watch the Rugby League World Cup that is kicking off in a week or so. Australia should easily win it. Have won 10 of 14 World Cups and runners up in another 3. Should be some huge tackles.
    Try watching shinty
    Only the insane play that game.
  7. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    17 Oct '17 09:06
    Try watching shinty
    Only the insane play that game.
    It makes a mockery of the basic non-contact sport called NFL. NFL reminds me of those sumo wrestling. More pads than anything else.

Yeah watched some Shinty on youtube. I thought that was more like a war than a sport. Give everyone a stick and tell them to kill each other with it. Totally brutal !!
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 Oct '17 15:40

What you don't understand is the relationship between extra protection and severity of collision.

If they want to lower the intensity of the hits, they should remove the face mask and go back to a leather helmet.
  9. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 11:57
    Wow, the football Gods certainly weren't smiling on the USA today.

It would take an absolute miracle for them to be eliminated today and that's what happened.

Anyone know how they managed to be beaten by the lowly T& B? Unbelievable !!
    Sorry buddy but WTF is the wold cup,?
    I am amazed the spelling police did not notice . 😉
  10. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 14:32
    Sorry buddy but WTF is the wold cup,?
    I am amazed the spelling police did not notice . 😉
    Psssst.........keep this quiet. I usually spell something wrong just to watch that fool BOTT jump up and down like a girl with her panties in a knot. It usually works to prod it out of its hole. Ssssshhh !!! Shouldn't be long now before it lurks out and I can slap it with a thong.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 15:31

Funny, nothing close to nfl impacts.
  12. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 16:02
    Funny, nothing close to nfl impacts.
    You must be kidding. What impacts. They wear helmets and inches and inches of padding as opposed to the rugby league players who were nothing more than their Guernsey. The impacts in rugby league are just as hard but there are as many in one game of league as there are in a complete season of NFL. There is very little physicality to NFL. They have one team that runs on to defend. Another team that runs on to attack. Another team that does nothing but return kicks. Some bloke that does nothing but punt. Another bloke that only kicks goals then runs of. Does anyone even work up a sweat other than the cheer girls ???
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 19:08
    You must be kidding. What impacts. They wear helmets and inches and inches of padding as opposed to the rugby league players who were nothing more than their Guernsey. The impacts in rugby league are just as hard but there are as many in one game of league as there are in a complete season of NFL. There is very little physicality to NFL. They have one ...[text shortened]... t only kicks goals then runs of. Does anyone even work up a sweat other than the cheer girls ???
    You are simply ignorant.

I've played tackle football without pads, just guys playing on a field and a ball.

I've also played in pads.

I can tell you first hand that the impacts in pads are much more violent.

Without pads you get more busted noses and bloodied mouths, but in pads you get more blown knees, concussions and kneck injuries.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 21:05
    [b]You are simply ignorant.
    Well spotted. Get no argument from me there.

However, somewhat unusually, I seem to be on his side on this sports argument.

In rugby union, athletes weighing up to 20 stone, all muscle, take part in frequent high impact collisions. There are many injuries, muscular and osteopathic.

In UK the players are moving to reduce the number of games played to allow for recovery/less chance of injury.

I don't see how US Football, with heavily padded players , offers more chance of injury.
  15. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    18 Oct '17 21:30
    You are simply ignorant.

I've played tackle football without pads, just guys playing on a field and a ball.

I've also played in pads.

I can tell you first hand that the impacts in pads are much more violent.

Without pads you get more busted noses and bloodied mouths, but in pads you get more blown knees, concussions and kneck injuries.
    Is there no organisation that looks at player safety?

To me it would be obvious to ban the padding and crash helmets if they cause more injuries.

Make it faster and more skillful

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree