Where?
    Every where
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '17 18:28
    Originally posted by @roma45
    Every where
    You must be at least 60 or 70, either that or you grew up and lived your life in some back woods area.

Today's lifting is not about getting "muscle bound". That would be 1960's lifting. Everything must translate into explosiveness and flexibility. The core is now given priority since the core is what ties all the muscle groups together.
  4. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    21 Oct '17 18:39
    Originally posted by @eladar
    You must be at least 60 or 70, either that or you grew up and lived your life in some back woods area.

Today's lifting is not about getting "muscle bound". That would be 1960's lifting. Everything must translate into explosiveness and flexibility. The core is now given priority since the core is what ties all the muscle groups together.
    Not sure what my age has to do with the USA football team failing to qualify for the world cup.
    Maybe if they did less weights and more ball practice they would have been there.

Did you ever coach a championship team?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '17 18:49
    Not sure what my age has to do with the USA football team failing to qualify for the world cup.
    Maybe if they did less weights and more ball practice they would have been there.

Did you ever coach a championship team?
    Your age has to do with your perspective. Your experience in the sport colors your expectations.

If all you know is training that has been rejected, you would think your failed training techniques are still valid.

Conference champion? Sure. State champion? No

But every state champion team runs a lifting program.
  6. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    21 Oct '17 19:14
    Your age has to do with your perspective. Your experience in the sport colors your expectations.

If all you know is training that has been rejected, you would think your failed training techniques are still valid.

Conference champion? Sure. State champion? No

But every state champion team runs a lifting program.
    Its colour
    Well done on having a winning team though

I would prefer skill training to weights every time
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '17 19:151 edit
    Its colour
    Well done on having a winning team though

I would prefer skill training to weights every time
    Why do you think one negates the other?
  8. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    21 Oct '17 19:27
    It's obvious
    More weight training = less time to spend on improving ball skill.
    In football more damage is done to the opposing team from a skillful pass or shot than a hope and hit power shot.

Weights are okay for sports that rely on only strength shot putt etc.
    I wonder how long Messi and Ronaldo pump iron rather than do ball practice.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Oct '17 19:36
    I've never seen a sissy-handegg player nimble enough on his feet to block Johan Cruijff's dodges, and neither have you. No good being able to take his punches if he doesn't go through, but around you.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Oct '17 19:46
    It's obvious
    More weight training = less time to spend on improving ball skill.
    In football more damage is done to the opposing team from a skillful pass or shot than a hope and hit power shot.

Weights are okay for sports that rely on only strength shot putt etc.
    I wonder how long Messi and Ronaldo pump iron rather than do ball practice.
    No one spends every minute of the day developing skills. Only so many hours pay dividends.

The hour you take strength training plus 10 hours of skills training pays off compared to 11 hours of skills.
  11. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    21 Oct '17 20:05
    Originally posted by @shallow-blue
    I've never seen a sissy-handegg player nimble enough on his feet to block Johan Cruijff's dodges, and neither have you. No good being able to take his punches if he doesn't go through, but around you.
    Maker you wonder what he would go for in today's insane transfer market
  12. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 03:39
    If there are two teams with similar level athletes and one team adds weight training to the program, the team that lifts will eventually dominate the team that doesn't.

That is if all other things are equal. Same level of athlete, same level of coaching and such.

Once again ignorance is coming into play if you think otherwise.
    I think most NFL players training is centred around eating corn dogs or pizzas and drinking beer. The only weight training those blokes do is train themselves to put on more weight.
  13. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 03:43
    Did you read the link?

Proper weight lifting increases speed and agility. Proper weight lifting decreases injury.

A faster, quicker more durable athlete will out perform a slower more injury prone athlete.
    Most of those NFL stars just pump themselves full of steroids to help with that. The only lifting they do is lifting their arm to their mouth to drink their pints or lifting there arm to shut their wives/girlfriends up. Too many roids !!
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 17:21
    Michael Hussey, an outstanding cricketer was late in arriving in the Aussie test team. He was 30. When he got a chance to play for an Australian A tour when he was younger he decided to prepare by doing lots strength training. In hindsight he admits it was an impedement to his success. He failed for Australia A and had to wait many years before he got another chance to play for Australia where he became a phenomenal batsmen for the rest of his career.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '17 18:09
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    Michael Hussey, an outstanding cricketer was late in arriving in the Aussie test team. He was 30. When he got a chance to play for an Australian A tour when he was younger he decided to prepare by doing lots strength training. In hindsight he admits it was an impedement to his success. He failed for Australia A and had to wait many years before he g ...[text shortened]... er chance to play for Australia where he became a phenomenal batsmen for the rest of his career.
    So he was an idiot and spent too much tme lifting and not enough developing skills.

He had bad training advice.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree