Moves
    24 Jun '09 21:51
    Spain's win steak is no longer!!!
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    24 Jun '09 22:143 edits
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Landon Donovan isn't bad, but he's FAAAAAR away from being one of the best in the world.

And as for y'all beating Spain... snowball's chance in hell.

I just shocked that Italy didn't go through; what a bizarre set of circumstances at the end of the games in group B.
    the USA needed an impossible scenario just to be in position to play Spain today.

Do you believe in miracles? Yes!

and now....

Do you believe in miracles again? Yes!! Yes!!

The last time an American snowball made it's way so successfully through a very hot place was back in 1980 at Lake Placid.

Now...Do you believe miracles happen in threes? Or will it end up being "jugo feo" against Brazil?
  3. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 08:27
    Firstly, congratulations to the USA for making it to the final of the Confederations Cup (for you Americans, this is not to be confused with the World Cup!)
    Despite the strange way in which they qualified for the semi-final, they deserved to beat a very lacklustre Spanish side, who appear to be reverting to type.

Secondly, an appearance in the final of the CC, does not make USA 'one of the top sides in the world'... I just thought I'd mention that before ya'll start getting ideas above your station!

Denmark won the Euro Championships in 1992 - and weren't recognised as a top side.

Thirdly, whilst the USA have an excellent workrate and team ethos by the looks of it - technically they're still a 3rd world nation.
    Donovan, Howard, De Merit, and Dempsey aside, the rest would struggle to get into Oldham Athletics reserves.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    25 Jun '09 12:21
    Originally posted by blade68
    Firstly, congratulations to the USA for making it to the final of the Confederations Cup (for you Americans, this is not to be confused with the World Cup!)
    Despite the strange way in which they qualified for the semi-final, they deserved to beat a very lacklustre Spanish side, who appear to be reverting to type.

Secondly, an appearance in the final of t ...[text shortened]... e Merit, and Dempsey aside, the rest would struggle to get into Oldham Athletics reserves.
    it was not the World Cup -- but it was more than a random match. These types of wins are extremely rare for America, so there's going to be a lot of hype when they occur.

if Spain was "lackluster", why would that be? They had an undefeated streak to maintain. They probably took it for granted that they'd romp by the Americans. A truly great team knows they can never take a night off.

I do agree the US is far from being one of the top sides in the world -- which is why I compared their win over Spain with the US hockey team upsetting the USSR in the 1980 olympics which was the all time greatest upset by an American team in any sport.

Next up for Spain -- a grudge match against the Oldham Athletics reserves!! I expect it to come down to a shootout. 😀
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 02:11
    Originally posted by Red Night

I think we can take Spain.....

Is it time to finally admit the obvious truth that Landon Donovan is one of the best mid-fielders in the world?
    Incredible call RN.

Those Euro-Snobs are slow on the uptake.

USA USA USA
  6. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 02:12
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Help, I have foot in mouth disease!

Congratulations USA, I think you've stunned the world with tonight's performance. Your coach REALLY did his homework, and therefore your team had an answer for everything the Spanish threw at them.

The ref and linesmen were pretty bad, Michael Bradley should not have been sent off, Spain should have had a pe ...[text shortened]... side calls.

But jeez! The game was a lot more entertaining than I was expecting. GG to you.
    Thanks Hoppy.

Bradley is a great coach.
  7. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 02:15
    Originally posted by Yuga
    Spector and especially Demerit really nice finds in the back, Onyewu played terrific, and Howard of course a high-class goalkeeper.

Harkes had good analysis in the commentary in the US coverage, the other commentator really boring though.

Why the US brings in Conor Casey in the ends of games I don't know, he seems slow and fat to me, should replace him w ...[text shortened]... ld like to see more high pressure by the US, they went into a shell for a while against Spain.
    I agree with you Conor Casey is a lump.

he's suppossed to be our Rooney, but even rooney isn't that fat and slow.

But, don't question Bradley. He has something in mind for this guy.

Alot of people questioned his decision to put his son on the team almost two years ago and look how that has turned out.
  8. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 02:221 edit

Secondly, an appearance in the final of t e Merit, and Dempsey aside, the rest would struggle to get into Oldham Athletics reserves.
    So aside from on the top 5 mid-fielders in the world and the best keeper on the planet, our team is second rate?

Let's not forget we were missing four of our best players and we still stomped the best Europe has to offer.

It's a new era gentleman.

I think we can take Brazil. We're playing well and they looked flat against RSA.
  9. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 07:34
    So aside from on the top 5 mid-fielders in the world and the best keeper on the planet, our team is second rate?

Let's not forget we were missing four of our best players and we still stomped the best Europe has to offer.

It's a new era gentleman.

I think we can take Brazil. We're playing well and they looked flat against RSA.
    As I expected... you win a couple of matches and are getting ideas above your station...

Calm down.
  10. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 15:01
    As I expected... you win a couple of matches and are getting ideas above your station...

Calm down.
    This was a pretty important victory for us.

This may have been our biggest win ever.
  11. Standard memberYuga
    Renaissance
    OnceInALifetime
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 17:09
    This was a pretty important victory for us.

This may have been our biggest win ever.
    The talent gap has decreased for sure.

Holding Spain to 8 shots on goal and none of those golden opportunities, that's a great accomplishment.

The US has been great in defending against corner kicks, winning balls in the air.

US needs more ball control in the midfield before I'd consider them a world class side.

But the way the US played in the past two games is great for US soccer.
  12. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 18:09
    Originally posted by Yuga
    The talent gap has decreased for sure.

Holding Spain to 8 shots on goal and none of those golden opportunities, that's a great accomplishment.

The US has been great in defending against corner kicks, winning balls in the air.

US needs more ball control in the midfield before I'd consider them a world class side.

But the way the US played in the past two games is great for US soccer.
    hear hear
  13. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 18:19

Secondly, an appearance in the final of t ...[text shortened]... e Merit, and Dempsey aside, the rest would struggle to get into Oldham Athletics reserves.
    So the USA was lucky and we are a 3rd world country talent wise?! lol what do we have to do to get some sincere credit for our accomplishments? Typical euro-snobbery...
  14. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 19:00
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    So the USA was lucky and we are a 3rd world country talent wise?! lol what do we have to do to get some sincere credit for our accomplishments? Typical euro-snobbery...
    beat Brazil 😀

then do it all again next year in the World Cup -- although if that happened, there'd probably be more excuses about how lackluster all the other teams were playing.
  15. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 19:371 edit
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    hear hear
    Hey Mike.

Was that one of the greatest things you ever saw?

How great was Lando?

Bring on the Brazilians

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree