1. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 21:43
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Of course there are some doubts about it. I'm against it and, apparently, so is ElleEffSeee.
    As am I. Bringing it in as suggested would be terrible. Though, as I said before, there are limited ways in which it could work.
  2. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Nov '06 22:10
    Of course there are some doubts about it. I'm against it and, apparently, so is ElleEffSeee.
    I'm not against it if it can be done effectively but as far as I can see this can't be done - there will always be some scenario in which the use fails and destroys an aspect of the game, e.g. passion, continuity, etc.

Small additions could be done such as having sensors in the ball and also the goal in order to instantly tell that the ball has crossed the goalline, then a radio signal could be instantly sent to the ref so he doesn't have to rely on obstructed sight. Some ginger computer nerd is bound to hack in to the system though.
  3. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 00:06
    Originally posted by sally cinnamon
    I can imagine sky would like nothing more than video refs in football. Let them line their pockets with a bit more advertising coppers. Jog on, stop messing with the game, managers and supporters have had to put up with dodgy decisions for years, some you win some you lose thats life.
    Spot on Sally.

They should all stop whinging and get on wi' it.
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 06:45
    In 20 years time or less, when it will have been a standard feature for many years, you will wonder why anyone was ever against it.

They should also immediately bring in the after-game video review and red carding of cheats - especially divers.

😉
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 08:011 edit
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    In 20 years time or less, when it will have been a standard feature for many years, you will wonder why anyone was ever against it.

They should also immediately bring in the after-game video review and red carding of cheats - especially divers.

😉
    You have a bright future as a prophet.

Edit - Seriously, I hope you're right. I think it's inevitable they introduce it to try it as the pressure can only get higher.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 08:04
    Originally posted by ElleEffSeee
    I'm not against it if it can be done effectively but as far as I can see this can't be done - there will always be some scenario in which the use fails and destroys an aspect of the game, e.g. passion, continuity, etc.

Small additions could be done such as having sensors in the ball and also the goal in order to instantly tell that the ball has cross ...[text shortened]... rely on obstructed sight. Some ginger computer nerd is bound to hack in to the system though.
    Of course, that's my point as well, I don't think it can be done effectively.

It's a bit of a tautology to say you'd be in favour of it if it's done 'effectively', innit?
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 09:23

It's a bit of a tautology to say you'd be in favour of it if it's done 'effectively', innit?
    Nope. FIFA have been mucking around with the offside rule for years, and other measures added for one reason in the past have inevitably brought about an unintended consequence. If FIFA use an ill-thought out system, which they are VERY capable of doing, I wouldn't be in favour of it.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 16:30
    Nope. FIFA have been mucking around with the offside rule for years, and other measures added for one reason in the past have inevitably brought about an unintended consequence. If FIFA use an ill-thought out system, which they are VERY capable of doing, I wouldn't be in favour of it.
    So, can it be done or not? You seem to swing around these positions.

Before you said that, as far as you could see, it couldn't but now you imply that it can.
  9. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 16:54
    So, can it be done or not? You seem to swing around these positions.

Before you said that, as far as you could see, it couldn't but now you imply that it can.
    I'm not swinging around at all - I'd be for a system that makes improvements without destroying any of the good things we have in the game now. Personally I can't see how that can be done, but then i haven't spent months carrying out a serious research study into it.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 16:59
    I'm not swinging around at all - I'd be for a system that makes improvements without destroying any of the good things we have in the game now. Personally I can't see how that can be done, but then i haven't spent months carrying out a serious research study into it.
    Obviously everyone is in favour of systems which 'improve without destroying the good things we have'. That's not saying much. In fact, that's not saying anything at all.
  11. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 18:09
    Obviously everyone is in favour of systems which 'improve without destroying the good things we have'. That's not saying much. In fact, that's not saying anything at all.
    Wrong.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 20:191 edit
    Wrong.
    Nice well thought out point. 🙄

A fan of Liverpool understanding logic. Now THAT's a logical contradiction.
  13. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 20:47
    Originally posted by therealchessfanatic
    Mark Hughes joined the call for them last weekend after what he felt was a dodgy penalty decision that got Tugay sent off. he made an interesting point that there is a natural break in play when a penalty or offside is given so thay could be used and a decision could be made very quickly for offsides and penaltys.

What do people think, should it be brought in?
    I think it's a good idea. It will reduce the number of ridiculous decisions that seem to change the score in about 50% of all matches.

I know it won't end all controversy, but it will help, like it does in so many other sports.
  14. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '06 21:50
    Nice well thought out point. 🙄

A fan of Liverpool understanding logic. Now THAT's a logical contradiction.
    The logic is so obvious it wasn't logical to spell it out 🙂

You are suggesting everyone wants change. I'm sure you realise that's not true.
  15. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    23 Nov '06 04:09
    Anything to stop Drogba destroying the game with his theatrics...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree