1. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    05 May '07 16:07
    I've been reading that a couple of EPL teams are thinking of suing the FA over the Tevez/M scandal because West Ham was fined but not deducted points. The fine was pretty steep, but a pittance when compared to the cost of relegation. Do these teams have a legal leg to stand on? Based on prior cases, should West Ham have lost points? Curious to hear some opinions, since mine is still up in the air.
  2. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 May '07 18:27
    I don't think Sheff Utd and Wigan should bother sueing - they've got a much easier option open to them:

Last day fixtures:

ManUre vs West ham
    Sheff Utd vs Wigan

and current table:

Pos Team GD Pts
    16 Sheff -22 38
    17 West h -25 38
    18 Wigan -23 35

West ham are bound to lose away to ManUre, so should Wigan beat Sheff Utd 1-0, they both stay up and West ham go down on goal difference 😵
  3. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    05 May '07 18:51
    if man utd have already won the title they won't need a victory. quite likely they will put out an under strength squad and rest their best players ready for the fa cup
  4. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    05 May '07 20:04
    Originally posted by Wycombe Al
    if man utd have already won the title they won't need a victory. quite likely they will put out an under strength squad and rest their best players ready for the fa cup
    In my opinion it has nothing to do with who will or won't go down this season.
    The absolute facts are that WHU fielded an illegible player... in the past that has been at least a 3 point penalty.
    The 5.5M is nothing compared to Premiership survival.

If someone had said to Paul Jewell/Neil Warnock/Alan Pardew et al, give us 5M at the beginning of the season and we'll award you 3 points they'd all have taken it.

It's very disappointing to think that the fact that WHU have someone close to the FA would in anyway influence the penalty.

WHU should have a minimum of 3 points deducted - end of story.

On a similar note. I can't believe that the fact that L**ds have gone in to administration before the season ends means that they've had a points deduction this season instead of next.
    What must Rotherham United fans be thinking at this moment?
  5. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    05 May '07 23:331 edit
    Appreciate the input from all. It seems a shame, then, if there's precendent for point deductions in similar cases. In any of the articles I've read about the story, there's no mention as to the justification for not deducting points. Has that been mentioned in any of the British media?

Edit: I just saw that Tevez figured heavily in West Ham's win over Bolton. Jewell must be ready to murder someone.
  6. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    07 May '07 16:40
    Originally posted by blade68

On a similar note. I can't believe that the fact that L**ds have gone in to administration before the season ends means that they've had a points deduction this season instead of next.
    What must Rotherham United fans be thinking at this moment?
    Just as an observation, but even without the 10 point deduction, Rotherham would be going down.

And now I'm reading that Charlton are considering legal action, as well. This could get messy.
  7. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    08 May '07 14:34
    I can't believe any legal action would succeed.

Liverpool played a reserve team against Fulham last weekend and lost - can Charlton now sue Liverpool?

I believe the league should be sorted out on the pitch, every one gets bits of luck over the season.
  8. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:03
    Originally posted by invigorate

Liverpool played a reserve team against Fulham last weekend and lost - can Charlton now sue Liverpool?

I believe the league should be sorted out on the pitch, every one gets bits of luck over the season.
    I agree with letting the play sort things out. When all is said and done, Wigan and Charlton will have to look in the mirror. They're the ones that didn't win when they needed to.

But I think it's still worth asking the question: If there was a precedent established wherein the infraction committed by West Ham has historically resulted in a point deduction, why the exception in this case?
  9. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 May '07 23:59
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    I agree with letting the play sort things out. When all is said and done, Wigan and Charlton will have to look in the mirror. They're the ones that didn't win when they needed to.

But I think it's still worth asking the question: If there was a precedent established wherein the infraction committed by West Ham has historically resulted in a point deduction, why the exception in this case?
    And further to that, by not enforcing a deduction of points in this case (for playing an illegally registered player) it sets a precedent for other teams to play suspended or unregistered players without fear of losing points, just paying a fine.

Example - if Petr Cech gets suspended for the FA Cup final, Jose could just play him anyway and cop the fine. (Obviously, this wouldn't happen, but it illustrates a point)

Didn't some team get kicked out of the FA Cup this year for fielding an unregistered player?

It smells pretty suspect to me.

With any luck, Spam will lose to Man U and Sheff will throw the game against Wigan and this will become a moot point.
  10. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    09 May '07 19:22
    Originally posted by Crita

With any luck, Spam will lose to Man U and Sheff will throw the game against Wigan and this will become a moot point.[/b]
    I'd be happy for The Blades to throw the match if WHU were losing heavily at Old Trafford.... we would have metered out our own form of justice!
  11. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    09 May '07 19:25
    Originally posted by invigorate

In my opinion a Manager should be able to play whichever players he chooses (Tevez and Mascherano being exceptions obviously!)... it's wrong that Benitez has been chastised by other Managers (my own included) for playing a supposed 'weakened' team...

No-one complains about Chelsea/ManYoo/Arsenal/Liverpool 'resting' players before Euro games in September do they?
  12. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    09 May '07 20:16
    It might be poetic justice; but if I wanted to see shenanigans determining who ends where, I'd watch Serie A. 😉
  13. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    09 May '07 20:37
    Originally posted by Fleabitten
    It might be poetic justice; but if I wanted to see shenanigans determining who ends where, I'd watch Serie A. 😉
    It didn't do Italy any harm.... they're World Champions!
  14. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Moves
    10 May '07 13:57
    Their national side is world champions. Their domestic league is a wreck. I'd hate to see the EPL head that way.
  15. Joined
    15 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 May '07 17:442 edits
    Opposite to stated knowledge there is no precedent for points deducted fo fielding an ellegible player, if so please kindly show us where and when.

What is elligible about either player, they were both loaned to West Ham to play during the season, no-one else wanted them.
    So like whats your problem lots of players play on loan.

Sheefield cant afford to through the game because West Ham could get a draw and that wouyld mean they go down.

and by the way its the Premiership not epl.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree