1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 16:281 edit
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    I don't mind that. I won't be presenting these ideas to the FA. The kind of rule changes I'd like to see in any game would be about giving the fans more value for money and making the game more exciting to watch. That's why I enjoy the IPL so much because it brings glitz and the format induces action.
    IPL is the greatest tournament on TV, ghagra cholis, crazee fans, last over finishes, cricket legends, M S Dhoni helicopter shots, Dale Steyn, Bollywood actresses, its the best.
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 17:241 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    There are entire tracts of our coastline dedicated to hitting small balls into holes with sticks, its ludicrous.

The worst thing about soccer and you need have no fear, we also refer to it as such, is inconsistency with decisions and arguing with the referee. You do not see this in rugby and it is not tolerated in cricket either.

The opponen ...[text shortened]... the game as in IPL 20/20 when anticipation is created waiting for the decision to be announced.
    Not to mention tracts of peat bogs being raped just to add a smell to some overrated firewater.

The diffence is, golf helps to preserve the environment, not destroy it permanently.
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 18:083 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Agree about the toss arrangements.

I think if the batsman at the non-striker's end leaves his crease before the ball is bowled then it should be permissible [and completely acceptable] to run him out ["mankading"] without any warning: just adjudicate it like a stumping or run out.

Now, as far as I know this dismissal is legal, but apparently umpires pressu itself to "mankading".

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/604156.html
    I agree on the latter point. Even to this day, batsman 'backing up' take huge liberties and are often outside the crease as the bowler enters the final stride of delivery. I have never understood why this practice is not frowned upon, let alone protected.

The expectation should be that the batsman should not leave the crease until the ball has been released, as this is the point when the ball is 'in play'. This should be clarified in guidance. Anyone not doing this is in breach of the spirit of the game, and therefore no warning should be expected or given if the bowler can run the batsman out for this.
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 18:16
    Originally posted by FMF
    Here is an interesting one...

"Permit two run-outs off the same delivery"

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/625340.html

What do you reckon?
    Interesting. It could have a huge impact on an individual game, as it would result in two new batsman at the crease at the same time.

As I think batsmen are protected enough as it is, I might be swayed.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 18:274 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Good one.

What about a video review & 'jury' system on - say - the following Monday to decide on off the ball incidents and other serious matters that can be clearly seen but were not seen during the match: a bit like what they have in Aussie Rules?
    Most misbehaviour at the top professional level in league situations could be eliminated if penalties in the form of a deduction of points was applied following video review. I would not care whether the referee had seen it on the day or not. It would be an additional sanction.

So, you'd grade the offences, say 1 for a shirt tug, dive etc, and higher levels for violent conduct etc. Every time a team reaches 5, you deduct one point.

Fines are irrelevant to players at the top level. Suspensions are often just an inconvenience and favour teams with the larger squads. Deductions of points would actually get the managers' attention and make it worth their while to take action.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 18:35
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Not to mention tracts of peat bogs being raped just to add a smell to some overrated firewater.

The diffence is, golf helps to preserve the environment, not destroy it permanently.
    I suppose.
  7. Berks.
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 21:44
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Most misbehaviour at the top professional level in league situations could be eliminated if penalties in the form of a deduction of points was applied following video review. I would not care whether the referee had seen it on the day or not. It would be an additional sanction.

So, you'd grade the offences, say 1 for a shirt tug, dive etc, and hig ...[text shortened]... oints would actually get the managers' attention and make it worth their while to take action.
    I'm another who would like to see something along this line introduced, including things such as abusing the officials too. It would probably be the best use for technology in football as anything else is either going to be of little use (goaline technology) or very difficult to introduce to a free flowing game.

It's also something which can be applied lower down with spot checks done on lower league (including non-league) clubs.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 21:492 edits
    Originally posted by Peakite
    I'm another who would like to see something along this line introduced, including things such as abusing the officials too. It would probably be the best use for technology in football as anything else is either going to be of little use (goaline technology) or very difficult to introduce to a free flowing game.

It's also something which can be applied lower down with spot checks done on lower league (including non-league) clubs.
    How long do you estimate it would take someone with video technology to be able to render a decision in order to ascertain whether a ball was over the line and relay that information to the referee?
  9. Berks.
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 22:01
    How long do you estimate it would take someone with video technology to be able to render a decision in order to ascertain whether a ball was over the line and relay that information to the referee?
    Not very long. I did say that I think that particular piece of technology isn't much point, not that it isn't fast enough.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 22:30
    Originally posted by Peakite
    Not very long. I did say that I think that particular piece of technology isn't much point, not that it isn't fast enough.
    Not much point? the most infuriating thing about soccer is the appalling inconsistency of refereeing decisions, from free kicks, to penalty kicks to goal line incidents to sending offs, video technology would effectively eradicate this in an instant.
  11. Berks.
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 22:48
    Not much point? the most infuriating thing about soccer is the appalling inconsistency of refereeing decisions, from free kicks, to penalty kicks to goal line incidents to sending offs, video technology would effectively eradicate this in an instant.
    Errors in whether the ball is over the line are uncommon; you would eradicate something which is overall a minor problem.

None of the other things mentioned have a suitable technological solution at present.

I'd disagree with you about the most infurating thing in football being the refereeing. I think the attitude of players and club officals towards them is far worse; whether it be trying to deliberately decieive the referee or abuse them.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 00:22
    IPL is the greatest tournament on TV, ghagra cholis, crazee fans, last over finishes, cricket legends, M S Dhoni helicopter shots, Dale Steyn, Bollywood actresses, its the best.
    I am a lifelong fan of cricket but, having seen some of it, I cannot summon up any interest in the IPL. As for the T20 World Cup I believe I did read a match report on the final. I am aware of bums on seats considerations and income generation with T20 etc., but it's meaningless cricket to me. I hope it doesn't damage other formats of the game too much in cricketing terms.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 08:203 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am a lifelong fan of cricket but, having seen some of it, I cannot summon up any interest in the IPL. As for the T20 World Cup I believe I did read a match report on the final. I am aware of bums on seats considerations and income generation with T20 etc., but it's meaningless cricket to me. I hope it doesn't damage other formats of the game too much in cricketing terms.
    How is it likely to damage other formats of the game in cricketing terms? Does blitz chess or chess960 damage the format of classical chess?
  14. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 09:22
    How is it likely to damage other formats of the game in cricketing terms? Does blitz chess or chess960 damage the format of classical chess?
    The "powers" need to learn from it and evolve. Anything that stagnates will die if everything else around it is evolving. T20 is colourful and exciting.. there's no doubt about that... and has bought some "interesting" innovations to the game like the "free hit". If you're trying to attract new players into the game that's exactly what you need.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '13 10:021 edit
    How is it likely to damage other formats of the game in cricketing terms?
    Things like shot selection, building an innings, the value placed on your wicket when batting, the more absorbing and extended cat and mouse between a skillful bowler and a skillful batsman, and how to respond to the strategic situations that long passages of play can create. In the first class context, the kind of bowling used in T20 is too negative and lacking in rhythm for the first class game. Sorry, I assumed you were a fan of other formats and not just T20. The 'damage' to the cricket skills needed for the first class game have been widely discussed. I assumed you would be aware.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree