1. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    07 Jul '07 01:00
    Originally posted by robscullion
    So what is sport? Is golf a sport? Nascar? When you're manipulating your stomach contents using your abdominal muscles to make more room, we're getting into the realm of the physical at least as much as Nascar. And believe it or not, they train to increase the endurance of their jaw muscles. It's certainly not mainstream, but its not just a bunch of fat ...[text shortened]... eat to compete. I don't think most of them eat like this more than a few times per year.
    Mate if you think thats sport your on another planet.

And i should know as back when i was younger there was a steak eating contest and it consisted of eating as much steak in 4 minutes ,using knife and fork,with no drinks,salt,pepper etc .
    I was lucky enough to win out eating 1 kilo of steak in the allocated time,and there was no technique used ,it was just shovel it down your gob.There was no manipulating stomach contents ,plus in a timed eating contest you dont really have time to do what you said .
    So go back and sit in that comfy chair and get back to being the couch potato that you obviously are. 🙂
  2. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    07 Jul '07 03:45
    Originally posted by boarman
    Mate if you think thats sport your on another planet.

And i should know as back when i was younger there was a steak eating contest and it consisted of eating as much steak in 4 minutes ,using knife and fork,with no drinks,salt,pepper etc .
    I was lucky enough to win out eating 1 kilo of steak in the allocated time,and there was no technique used ,it was ...[text shortened]... ck and sit in that comfy chair and get back to being the couch potato that you obviously are. 🙂
    And that's exactly the state of the Nathan's contest before Kobayashi: People stuffing as many hot dogs down their throat as they could, but without technique or training. He *doubled* the previous record all-time in his first outing in 2001. And this isn't some 7 foot, 400 pound eating machine. He was 5' 6" and 110 pounds!

I'm sure I'll never convince you, but IMHO he raised the bar so far I think it really has crossed the line into sport. At least as much as some other borderline endeavors people call sport. Christ...bowling is more drinking than throwing a ball if you're doing it right. Or darts...yeah, that's real athletic.

And as for the couch potato thing, just you wait 'til I find my reaching stick. I think it's under all these cookie crumbs and aluminum cans somewhere...
  3. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 22:01
    And that's exactly the state of the Nathan's contest before Kobayashi: People stuffing as many hot dogs down their throat as they could, but without technique or training. He *doubled* the previous record all-time in his first outing in 2001. And this isn't some 7 foot, 400 pound eating machine. He was 5' 6" and 110 pounds!

I'm sure I'll never convinc ...[text shortened]... hing stick. I think it's under all these cookie crumbs and aluminum cans somewhere...
    how aren't they fat?
  4. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 22:18
    Dunno about all of them, but Kobayashi has done some serious weight training since he started. Went from 110 pounds in 2000 to 195ish now, all with under 10% body fat. That last part is according to him (via the Wiki), but seeing him on TB, I don't think he's lying.
  5. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 23:07
    Dunno about all of them, but Kobayashi has done some serious weight training since he started. Went from 110 pounds in 2000 to 195ish now, all with under 10% body fat. That last part is according to him (via the Wiki), but seeing him on TB, I don't think he's lying.
    is that your faviorte sport?
  6. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 02:32
    Not really. I always try to watch the Nathan's contest, but that's more of a holiday event than anything else. I work less than a mile from the yearly site of the Philly Wing Bowl and have never made the trip.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree