1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 17:14
    Originally posted by Palynka
    You're seriously deluded if you think that only ex-players can know the "intent". You cannot know what he was thinking anymore than a non-player. Unless you want to make some claim about mind-reading skills, it all comes down to observation.
    Holy cow, this is EXACTLY what i'm saying. I know what the guys on the ice are THINKING. I'm not reading their minds in some kind of magical predictive way.

Think of it like this:

A hot girl walks by a guy. He turns his head and looks her up and down.

Now, you know EXACTLY what this guy is thinking but it doesn't mean you are a mind-reader. You know because you've been in the situation yourself many times and have thought the same thing.

No difference. For non-players though, they've never been in the position as the player on the ice, so they dont' really know what he's thinking most of the time.

I can't believe you are actually trying to disagree with this. Crowley, fine. Retard. But you?? Shame shame.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 17:23
    Originally posted by uzless
    Holy cow, this is EXACTLY what i'm saying. I know what the guys on the ice are THINKING. I'm not reading their minds in some kind of magical predictive way.

Think of it like this:

Now, you know EXACTLY what this guy is thinking but it doesn't mean you are a mind-reader. You ...[text shortened]... actually trying to disagree with this. Crowley, fine. Retard. But you?? Shame shame.
    I'm sure Nordlys could tell what the guy was thinking, despite never having been in the same situation.

Do you have another anecdotal example? I've given up on expecting anything beyond those.
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 17:24

Think of it like this:

Now, you know EXACTLY what this guy is thinking but it doesn't mean you are a mind-reader. You ...[text shortened]... actually trying to disagree with this. Crowley, fine. Retard. But you?? Shame shame.
    Not only are you convinced you are right, you now can tell whether someone who (correctly) disagrees agrees with you is a retard or not. It must be fun to go through life being so ignorant.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 17:341 edit
    I played basketball for 9 years in a proper club with a proper coach. I think I know why you think this way. For example, I can play 10 minutes with someone and, almost regardless of how good he is, I can tell whether he played in a club or not. Movement without the ball, the awareness of what the other players are doing, the way they have all the "fundamentals" already ingrained in their movements is something which is clear as day (at least in basketball, I presume this is true for most sports).

But this is fundamentally a question of not only knowledge about the sport, but about automating routines. It's not that they can't understand, it's that even if they understand they never had it drilled down to the point where you don't have to think about it.
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 18:37
    Originally posted by Palynka

Do you have another anecdotal example? .
    Yes, the clip!
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 18:39
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Not only are you convinced you are right, you now can tell whether someone who (correctly) disagrees agrees with you is a retard or not.
    Just because someone agrees with YOU, it doesn't neccessarily mean you are both correct.

It may just mean you are both wrong.
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 18:53
    Your posts on this topic are garbage. You have no idea. I am done with you.
    Feeling's mutual, bubba...
  8. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 18:551 edit
    Just because someone agrees with YOU, it doesn't neccessarily mean you are both correct.

It may just mean you are both wrong.
    i
    I don't think I am right because someone agrees with me. I think I am right because you just don't have to be smart to watch sports (especially when TV provides announcers to continually explain things to you). I just am wondering why you think it is ok to decide which people who disagree with you are retarded and which posts are garbage.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 19:161 edit
    I think I am right because you just don't have to be smart to watch sports (especially when TV provides announcers to continually explain things to you).
    Do you really think that was his point?

(PS - This is a good instance of why the poster thinks you're retarded and that your posts are garbage.)
  10. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    23 Nov '09 20:22
    I just am wondering why you think it is ok to decide which people who disagree with you are retarded and which posts are garbage.
    Because he's gotten this far. He's decided to just go ahead and dig it 6 feet deep.
  11. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    24 Nov '09 13:58
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Do you really think that was his point?

(PS - This is a good instance of why the poster thinks you're retarded and that your posts are garbage.)
    I know two things:
    (1) his initial premise is that you can only understand a sport by playing it and why would anyone bother watching it if they did not play. The fact that millions of people with expertese in things other than sports attend events each year just seems to disprove this theory. Furthermore, people have the ability to learn without playing by watching on TV and getting the advatage of instant replays and diffenent camera angles to see things that you could have missed the first time. There are announcers who explain things, there are newspapers and talk shows which break down plays and games. There are coaches shows where coaches answer questions about the game etc. His point seems clearly wrong to me.
    (2) He has stop discussing his "point" and has instead decide to insult people. Perhaps when it clear that an argument has no merit, all they have left is to call a post garabage and calling people retarded. I have no problem with people disagreeing with a point of view and everyone certainly can disagree with mine. I simply feel it is ridiculous that I am reading someone who is insulting people personal especially when they certainly appear to be right.
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 23:071 edit
    I always find it amazing that many of the guys who talk and watch the most sports are the same guys that can't play.
    Sports are necessary for male small talk. You have to know about them even if you couldn't care less if you want to be able to chat with other random guys.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Nov '09 23:45
    Originally posted by EmLasker
    I stopped watching sports about a year ago when i realized i can barely pick up a 30 pound sack of grain, the more sports i watch, the more incompetent i feel.......
    As long as you can pick up the TV remote contol you'll be fine -- chill out.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree