1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    26 Sep '09 21:10
    I must question why auto racing is called a sport. I know it takes some skill to drive well at high speeds, but can any race really be called a sport when the machine does 98% of the work??😏
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    26 Sep '09 22:29
    Originally posted by bill718
    I must question why auto racing is called a sport. I know it takes some skill to drive well at high speeds, but can any race really be called a sport when the machine does 98% of the work??😏
    I'm not a racer by any means but have taken some hi speed driving courses at Thunderhill in California and PIR in Portland Oregon and after a few hours behind the wheel at high speed and all your concentration being pushed to the limits and bracing yourself constantly thru high speed turns, believe me you are more tired and exhausted then you could ever imagine at the end of the day.
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 02:03
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I'm not a racer by any means but have taken some hi speed driving courses at Thunderhill in California and PIR in Portland Oregon and after a few hours behind the wheel at high speed and all your concentration being pushed to the limits and bracing yourself constantly thru high speed turns, believe me you are more tired and exhausted then you could ever imagine at the end of the day.
    I imagine you are correct, but the question still stands...can a auto race be called a sport when the machine does 98% of the work??
  4. Madison Square Garde
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 04:29
    I imagine you are correct, but the question still stands...can a auto race be called a sport when the machine does 98% of the work??
    Yes, and a very dumb threadπŸ™„
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 Sep '09 12:21
    the same could be said for archery
  6. Joined
    14 Aug '01
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 12:47
    I am told golf is sport, if that is the case then so is juggling and ballroom dancing.
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 13:371 edit
    Originally posted by Dr. Brain
    I am told golf is sport, if that is the case then so is juggling and ballroom dancing.
    BLASPHEMY!
    To be a good golf player takes a degree of fitness, years of practice and much concentration of skills on the day.
    Play 36 holes in a day and tell me golf is not a sport...

I suppose the same goes for juggling and dancing.

The jury is out, for me at least, when kids list chess as their school sporting activity though.

RE: Auto racing
    Motorsport is seriously boring, but it's still a skilled person using a 'tool' in order to win a race. That's a sport in my eyes.
    Will you say horse racing, sailing etc. aren't sports next?
    What about canoeing? Hell, that canoe is doing all the work keeping you afloat!
  8. Joined
    14 Aug '01
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 13:42
    Well if a skilled person using a 'tool' is an athlete, Bill Clinton was the Carl Lewis of the White House.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 13:511 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    BLASPHEMY!
    To be a good golf player takes a degree of fitness, years of practice and much concentration of skills on the day.
    Play 36 holes in a day and tell me golf is not a sport...

I suppose the same goes for juggling and dancing.

The jury is out, for me at least, when kids list chess as their school sporting activity though.

RE: Auto racing orts next?
    What about canoeing? Hell, that canoe is doing all the work keeping you afloat!
    my definition of a "sport" is that it's a competitive activity where bodily movement plays a non-trivial role.

this would apply to auto-racing, golf, ballroom dancing, and juggling.

this would also apply to chess - IF it's a super-speed 1 minute game where your ability to rapidly manipulate pieces and hit a time clock would play a significant role in winning or losing.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 15:01
    98% of the work?

right. i'm no fan of motor sports but it's much more of a sport than horse racing by your logic.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 15:311 edit
    Granted the machine is a tool in the process, but it cannot drive itself. Also there are several technical and tactical ways of driving a car that makes a difference in finishing first or last. Since it is the same car, then you cannot correctly surmise that 98% of the work is by the machine. The sport is in how you maneuver and navigate that machine.

You could make a similar arguement about swimming. Without water, there is no swimming. Should it be a sport....of course it is.

Then there is horse racing. Is this a sport? If it isn't, why do they have sports books placing wagers on the races regularly?

The term sport also means "competition".
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 15:32
    Originally posted by Dr. Brain
    Well if a skilled person using a 'tool' is an athlete, Bill Clinton was the Carl Lewis of the White House.
    Can a cigar be classified as a tool?
  13. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '09 20:301 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Granted the machine is a tool in the process, but it cannot drive itself. Also there are several technical and tactical ways of driving a car that makes a difference in finishing first or last. Since it is the same car, then you cannot correctly surmise that 98% of the work is by the machine. The sport is in how you maneuver and navigate that machine.
    orts books placing wagers on the races regularly?

The term sport also means "competition".
    The olympics has a number of horse events - but unfortunately they don't award any medals to the ones doing all the real work. Stupid anthropocentric IOC 😠
  14. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 05:551 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    BLASPHEMY!
    Play 36 holes in a day and tell me golf is not a sport.....
    Horse hockey. If the pro had to carry their own club, maybe. If they had to have the stamina of a tennis player, maybe. The same drunken Scots that created a stupid game where you go chasing down a tiny ball are probably the same ones that insist it's a 'sport'.

But before we rank on the Scots let's pause to reflect that it takes Americans to showcase this riveting the-action-never-stops sport on television. 😴 😴

I'm sure some fans would listen to this major sport on the radio.... 😴 😴 😴 😴 😴 😴 😴
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 15:54
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Horse hockey. If the pro had to carry their own club, maybe. If they had to have the stamina of a tennis player, maybe. The same drunken Scots that created a stupid game where you go chasing down a tiny ball are probably the same ones that insist it's a 'sport'.

But before we rank on the Scots let's pause to reflect that it takes Americans to showcase th ...[text shortened]...
    I'm sure some fans would listen to this major sport on the radio.... 😴 😴 😴 😴 😴 😴 😴
    The same drunken Scots that created a stupid game where you go chasing down a tiny ball are probably the same ones that insist it's a 'sport'.

Isn't any sport just a "stupid game" - often involving people that go chasing a ball around?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree