1. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 13:15
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    Ferdinand is class.
    Harry Redknapp on Friday said he was as good as any center back in the world.
    Ferdinand with Vidic is possibly the best center back partnership in the Premiership.

Sir Alex has Ferdinand on the top tier wages and resigned him on a new contract.

United have one of the best defensive records in England, whilst still playi ...[text shortened]... very other game.
    Scores against the best teams in Europe consistently.
    Why is he overrated?
    I don't care what Harry Redknapp or Alex Ferguson say about Ferdinand... that's their opinion. My opinion is that the bloke's a waste of a shirt... and I'd happily argue the point with anyone.

You're wrong about my thinking that Rooney is over-rated by the way... I think the lad's potentially one of the best players in the country.
    As well as undoubted ability, he has that nasty streak that most great footballers possess, he just needs to learn to challenge the anger and competetiveness in to the right channels, but that will come with a couple of more years under his belt.
  2. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 13:15
    Another classic.

Do you have an english phrase book with 50 quotes in it and randomly pick one each time you make a post?
    Shine your boots Guvnor?
  3. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 13:16
    Originally posted by Esoteric

In my opinion, Owen Hargreaves is Englands best player. Call me stupid but I think he is.[/b]
    Stupid.
  4. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 13:17
    Originally posted by blade68
    Stupid.
    Yeah i know. But hey, i just think he is.
  5. LA
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 13:17
    Shine your boots Guvnor?
    Not today thanks, i'm off to the beach.
  6. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 13:19
    Not today thanks, i'm off to the beach.
    Why?
    You haven't got Chelsea!!!
  7. LA
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 13:221 edit
    Originally posted by blade68
    I don't care what Harry Redknapp or Alex Ferguson say about Ferdinand... that's their opinion. My opinion is that the bloke's a waste of a shirt... and I'd happily argue the point with anyone.

You're wrong about my thinking that Rooney is over-rated by the way... I think the lad's potentially one of the best players in the country.
    As well as undoubted a ...[text shortened]... s in to the right channels, but that will come with a couple of more years under his belt.
    You are right, football is all about opinions and facts.

Ferdinand does have lapses of concentration, but since he's played with Vidic he has been a class act, in my opinion.

As for Rooney, I seem to remember a few months ago that you claimed he was overrated but maybe it was someone else.
    You are right Rooney is not the finished article but he has all the potential to be the best in England.

As for Hargreaves, in the limited number of games he's played for United he has been fantastic.
    He could be Englands solid midfield player if he can get a run of games and stay fit.
  8. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 13:23
    As for Hargreaves, in the limited number of games he's played for United he has been fantastic.
    He could be Englands solid midfield player if he can get a run of games and stay fit.
    I actually agree with you 100% on that point.
  9. LA
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 13:25
    I actually agree with you 100% on that point.
    Good.

If he can stay fit he really could be the player England need to link defense and midfield and enable us to keep hold of the ball.

All this long ball rubbish that England play is very painful to watch.

I think Hargreaves with Lampard or Gerrard would make England a much better team.
  10. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 13:27
    If he can stay fit he really could be the player England need to link defense and midfield and enable us to keep hold of the ball.

All this long ball rubbish that England play is very painful to watch.
    Also agree.
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 13:36
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Still not [b]the best in the world, is he?

Edit - And that's the key, isn't it? Whenever you put such superlatives on future possibilities it's almost always overrating. The most talented. He can become the best player in the world.

To me, this is the very definition of overrating.[/b]
    I can't think of any team he wouldn't play in. Surely, if a player can get into any team in the world, he must be one of the best?

And if I recall correctly, you said you'd take Obi Mikel over Fabregas. It seems to me that my pick is second top scorer in the league (as a midfielder), key to Arsenal's good run and playing the best football around at the moment, with skill and vision combined with a good temperament. Meanwhile, your pick has started about half of his teams games, can't pass more than 10 yards, is only really good at stopping play, and has severe head problems. I guess, seeing as you're a fan of Mourinho, it makes sense that you rate somebody who stops play over somebody who actually plays the beautiful game.

How is saying a 22 year old can become the best in the world the definition of overrating? Surely, commenting on somebody's future potential isn't overrating, but rather simply speculating?

Overrating would be classing a player as one of the top 5 central defenders in the world when all they've done is do ok in a very mediocre league playing against poor to average players, gotten knocked out by a teammate during a training ground altercation and can't even make a top team's first team. Now, that is my definition of overrating.

D
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 13:40
    Yeah i know. But hey, i just think he is.
    I agree with you to a certain extent. Hargreaves seems to have everything and is the player that United have been missing in the last couple of seasons. He closes players down so fast in midfield, it's incredible. He's 2nd/3rd fastest in United's squad (behind Evra/Ronaldo). He can pass short, he can pass long, he can shoot, he's got discipline, he can tackle, he can take great set pieces.

He really reminds me of Gattuso with a couple of differences, 1) Hargreaves has offensive ability, 2) Hargreaves has more pace, 3) Hargreaves lacks some of Gattuso's aggression (which isn't necessarily a bad thing)

D
  13. 6yd box
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 14:32
    [b]Ferdinand is class.
    i would say terry, Carvalho, Toure, vidic are all better then Ferdinand in the prem league
  14. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 14:52
    Originally posted by spurs73
    i would say terry, Carvalho, Toure, vidic are all better then Ferdinand in the prem league
    Not bad company to be keeping.

Has anybody said Ferdinand is THE perfect defender? No. He has his defects (lack of true bravery, weak in the air, some lapses in concentration, although these are getting rarer), but I also would rate him in a similar bracket as the players you named.

D
  15. LA
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 18:03
    So United get beat by Bolton.
    Great, last time we played Bolton Rooney got a hattrick.

Not sure why Ronaldo was rested, at least most of our team won't be playing in Europe this summer.

Also why did Ferguson rest Anderson when he's been playing so well in midfield this season!

Don't worry lads, Rooney is back for our next league game, thank god.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree