1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 17:13
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The term "World Champions" regarding the NBA Champion dates from the beginning of the league in 1947. At that time, there was no other professional leagues in the rest of the world that I can find (the first outside the US I've located was formed in the Philippines in 1983).
    lulz!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1_Ethniki

The first Greek Championship was held in 1928 by the Greek Basketball Federation which organized all the championships until 1992.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 17:21
    http://www.msxnet.org/humour/world-according-to-america.png
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 17:251 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    lulz!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1_Ethniki

The first Greek Championship was held in 1928 by the Greek Basketball Federation which organized all the championships until 1992.
    That "league" doesn't appear to have played in more then half the years between 1928 and 1947 and quite a few after that. It doesn't seem to have formalized its structure until 1963.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 17:27
    http://www.msxnet.org/humour/world-according-to-america.png
    As I thought, this thead is nothing more than a pathetic "America bashing" one by smug EuroTrash. Grow up.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 17:332 edits
    Like many others here, you confuse unsupported assertions with an actual argument based on facts.

The term "World Champions" regarding the NBA Champion dates from the beginning of the league in 1947. At that time, there was no other professional leagues in the rest of the world that I can find (the first outside the US I've located was f 't one of them esp. why there isn't any serious dispute that they are the best team).
    Flimsy. Boring. Poorly argued. With a hint of juvenility thrown in. Your whole thing here is nothing but an assertion - in tandem with a definition of "World Champions" that probably isn't accepted by anyone in the 'world' except for you and some of your fellow Americans. Not up to your usual standards. Nor up to the standards you demand of others.

As I thought, this thead is nothing more than a pathetic "America bashing" one by smug EuroTrash. Grow up.

Ah yes, we reach the zone where you and DSR overlap.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 17:341 edit
    That "league" doesn't appear to have played in more then half the years between 1928 and 1947 and quite a few after that. It doesn't seem to have formalized its structure until 1963.
    Haha!

How is that relevant? There were already Greek Champions at the time. Besides, it's not the only one. Spain, Germany, even Portugal had national Champions at the time. There's probably more, but I can't be arsed to look any more.

BTW, do you already understand that Best =/= Champions or are you still pretending to be ignorant?
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 17:36
    Don't cry now. It must hurt when you realize you're an ignorant fool, but it's a necessary step towards enlightenment.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 17:41
    Haha!

How is that relevant? There were already Greek Champions at the time. Besides, it's not the only one. Spain, Germany, even Portugal had national Champions at the time. There's probably more, but I can't be arsed to look any more.

BTW, do you already understand that Best =/= Champions or are you still pretending to be ignorant?
    There doesn't seem to have been professional teams at the time; the cite clearly says the "championships" were part of the Pan-Hellenic Championships which encompassed other sports.

There is no international competition for the "World Championship" of basketball. Since there is not, it's simple logic to say that the team recognized as the best, which has competed against and defeated the other teams that are recognized as the best competitio, by all reasonable followers of the game is the World Champion. Constant America bashing by you and others here really doesn't change the fact that the NBA Champions are legitimately the World Champions of basketball. Wherever you want to make an argument to the contrary (without the "the Americans are bad BS"😉, feel free.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 17:44
    Don't cry now. It must hurt when you realize you're an ignorant fool, but it's a necessary step towards enlightenment.
    Your juvenile attempts at insults don't change the fact that since you and the others have no reasonable arguments here, you've simply resorted to the tired tactics of attacking the US. That this is completely inappropriate to a discussion regarding the NBA, which is not exclusively an American league, doesn't seem to make any difference to you morons.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 17:47
    [they] are recognized as the best competition, by all reasonable followers of the game is the World Champion.
    No they are not. By some Americans maybe. But not by followers of the game out here in the 'World'. Assert that they are the best team in the world by all means. But please don't be so willfully ignorant with terminology and titles that have actual, specific meanings.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 17:50
    There doesn't seem to have been professional teams at the time; the cite clearly says the "championships" were part of the Pan-Hellenic Championships which encompassed other sports.

There is no international competition for the "World Championship" of basketball. Since there is not, it's simple logic to say that the team recognized as the ...[text shortened]... o make an argument to the contrary (without the "the Americans are bad BS"😉, feel free.
    Best =/= Champion.

As long as you continue to be ignorant of this fact, all your chest-beating claims of 'rightful title' will continue to based on a mistake.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 17:541 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    No they are not. By some Americans maybe. But not by followers of the game out here in the 'World'. Assert that they are the best team in the world by all means. But please don't be so willfully ignorant with terminology and titles that have actual, specific meanings.
    You are either incredibly ignorant or just being a jerk. Are you seriously claiming that there are basketball fans out there who think that the NBA isn't the premier basketball league, by far, in the entire world?

The Greek national team is one of the best "national" teams in the world. It is currently in the US playing a series of exhibition games against below average Division I COLLEGE teams. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE5DB163CF93BA25752C1A961948260

They barely beat Ivy League Columbia for God sakes!
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 17:55
    As long as you continue to be ignorant of this fact, all your chest-beating claims of 'rightful title' will continue to based on a mistake.
    Actually I have been finding his knee-jerk Americanist chest-beating claims of anti-Americanism more intriguing.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:00
    You are either incredibly ignorant or just being a jerk. Are you seriously claiming that there are basketball fans out there who think that the NBA isn't the premier basketball league, by far, in the entire world?
    I have lived in various places around the world for 18 years and I am a keen armchair sportsman and a person who ends up with sports fans friends wherever I go. I have never met a non-American sports fan who uses your World Champion terminology, except perhaps with a dose of wistful sarcasm. I would have expected you to have applied a similar dose of wistful sarcasm to this 'World Champion' nonsense too. But instead, you've just kind of made a carping jingoistic fool of yourself on this thread.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Nov '08 18:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    Actually I have been finding his knee-jerk Americanist chest-beating claims of anti-Americanism more intriguing.
    It's not unusual. He's used the word EuroTrash more than anybody that I can remember in this site.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree