1. Standard memberdoctor rhythm
    useless at chess
    Moves
    21 Dec '08 13:37
    well done united....champions of England,Europe and now the world.
  2. 6yd box
    Moves
    22 Dec '08 21:40
    Originally posted by doctor rhythm
    well done united....champions of England,Europe and now the world.
    very good point.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '08 22:35
    Originally posted by spurs73
    very good point.
    Not really the "world" championship is it...lets be honest more a triumph for marketing and shirt sales?
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    23 Dec '08 02:17
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Not really the "world" championship is it...lets be honest more a triumph for marketing and shirt sales?
    Perhaps your right...but it's pretty nice to be given the distinction of been the best team in the world and gives us another trophy Chelsea have never won πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    23 Dec '08 10:23
    Originally posted by divegeester
    All a team can do is win the tournaments that UEFA/FIFA put in front of them.

The Champions League is pretty much the world club cup given the difference in quality (as a result of difference in budgets) between European teams and rest of the world teams.

D
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Dec '08 12:022 edits
    Originally posted by Jamesqt
    Perhaps your right...but it's pretty nice to be given the distinction of been the best team in the world and gives us another trophy Chelsea have never won πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
    Ok, ok, ok and we only managed a lame draw last night I know. I have a man u mate who is wearing out his phone texting me with how proud he feels, and I have to yawn the jealous yawn and look casually and hopefully to the Christmas fixture list.

Well (cough) done man u. See you in the league😠
  7. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Dec '08 13:06
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    The Champions League is pretty much the world club cup given the difference in quality (as a result of difference in budgets) between European teams and rest of the world teams.

D
    i wouldn't say that in s. america. what would your reason be for the s. american teams having such a good record in the world cup cup? whatever format.

i'd love to see a proper world club cup...maybe 16 league winners from around the world competing in a euro 2008 style tournament.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Dec '08 18:491 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    i wouldn't say that in s. america. what would your reason be for the s. american teams having such a good record in the world cup cup? whatever format.

i'd love to see a proper world club cup...maybe 16 league winners from around the world competing in a euro 2008 style tournament.
    Exactly, a proper mix of the top world clubs 😏
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 Dec '08 19:22
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    All a team can do is win the tournaments that UEFA/FIFA put in front of them.

D
    Sounds like no1's argument about the NBA winners being World Champions.
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    24 Dec '08 09:52
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Sounds like no1's argument about the NBA winners being World Champions.
    How is saying that a team can only win the tournaments put in front of them to be crowned champions anything like 2Bit's argument?

My second point was in response to the person who claimed that the World Club Cup wasn't "really the "world" championship". Also, saying "pretty much" is in no way categorically stating that they are "world champions" without the tournament to back it up as 2Bit and the rest of America do.

The fact of the matter is that to enter the World Club Cup you have to win your continental federation's cup. My point was to the people who write off the cup due to the lack of perceived competition. I think the format is good, given that the calendar doesn't allow a full scale, month-long tournament like trev33 mentions above.

D
  11. Joined
    29 Oct '04
    Moves
    25 Dec '08 04:32
    very good point.
    I thought Zenit is the champion of Europe.
  12. 6yd box
    Moves
    25 Dec '08 11:58
    Originally posted by trev33

lets git rid of the CL and have Trev33's version instead. Much better format then the joke that is the CL
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 Dec '08 21:16
    lets git rid of the CL and have Trev33's version instead. Much better format then the joke that is the CL
    You seem to have been banging your head against the stupid tree even harder than normal these days.

Tell me, durrs... apart from being misbranded, why exactly is the most popular of the confederation cups a "joke"? A cup in which the best teams in the world produce spectacular games, year after year.

D
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    26 Dec '08 21:40
    It's obvious that this post was put on the wrong tread...the thread this was meant to go on is somewhere in the general section amongst such statements like teapots should be made of chocolate, the earth is really flat and Hitler was really a nice guy!

In theory Trev33's idea sounds good but the reality is it would be a tournament with only half the best teams in the world in it! e.g Chelsea wouldn't qualify despite been the 2nd or 3rd best team in the world! The South American league is the best league outside Europe but miles behind the Premiership and La Liga!
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '08 22:28
    Originally posted by Jamesqt
    South American league is the best league outside Europe but miles behind the Premiership and La Liga!
    you would quickly change that to the argentine or brazilian league if you watched any peruvian or bolivian league football...even the ecuadorian league which produced this years south american champions is very poor. quito had 2 players and a lot of luck throughout that tourney.....

anyway, it's true my idea will never happen. the only way something like that could happen if the winners of each league didn't play in their league or their continental cup (CL asian cup etc.) the following year to compete in a club world cup played throughout the season.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree