villar (paraguay)

de silva (paraguary)
    maicon (brazil)

ovil (germany)
    schweinsteiger (germany)
    sanchez (chile)

tevez (argentina)
    suarez (uruguay)

as and actual team playing with each other i'd porbably play suarez in the middle of attack instead of forlan with robben on the right and villa on the left. and they would kick all your other teams asses 😉
  2. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 13:06
    I've posted this during the quarter finals. Now that the Cup ended, it's a better time to debate who should be in the tournament first team. Here's mine:

Stekelemburg (Ned)
    Lahm (Ger)
    Lucio (Bra)
    Alcaraz (Par)
    Coentrão (Por)
    Schweinsteigger (Ger)
    Sneijder (Ned)
    Ozil (Ger)
    Iniesta (Spa)
    Forlan (Uru)
    Villa (Spa)

Honorable mention to Muller. I was between him and Iniesta.
  3. Joined
    26 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 02:19
    Chicharito one of the best under 25 that played in the world cup, especially considering the minutes he played.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Jul '10 11:32
    Originally posted by eljefejesus
    Chicharito one of the best under 25 that played in the world cup, especially considering the minutes he played.
    Chicharito deserves honorable mention indeed, but not a spot in the final eleven. He got lost most of the game against Argentina even though he scored. Next cup he'll probably earn the golden boot.

My eleven:
    GK Casillas
    Def: Lahm/Ramos, Pique, Puyol, Bronkhorst
    MidF: Xavi, Iniesta, Muller
    Forw: Forlan, Villa, Sneijder
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    15 Jul '10 11:56
    Originally posted by hopscotch
    Why do so many people want to change football to make it more like another sport? Hockey, American Football, Rugby, Baskethoops, etc. What next? Tennis?
    Why are so many fans opposed to their sport evolving?
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Jul '10 16:431 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Why are so many fans opposed to their sport evolving?
    I know very few football fans who wouldn't change anything about the sport. But not all change is good.

For instance, scacchipazzo's suggestion about rolling subs would actually help defensive teams. It's tiring to keep pressing the opposition when they've got possession - one reason Spain had a tendency in the World Cup to score late on against tiring defences. Let players have a breather and you actually make defensive tactics more effective.

When you've already got the World's most popular sport, you know you're doing something right. Change, yes, but only carefully.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Jul '10 01:51
    Originally posted by mtthw
    I know very few football fans who wouldn't change anything about the sport. But not all change is good.

For instance, scacchipazzo's suggestion about rolling subs would actually help defensive teams. It's tiring to keep pressing the opposition when they've got possession - one reason Spain had a tendency in the World Cup to score late on against tiring de ...[text shortened]... t popular sport, you know you're doing something right. Change, yes, but only carefully.
    You raise an excellent point indeed. I had not considered that particular. Therefore, scratch that idea. The changes I'd like to see are the ones favoring offense. I would like only blatant offside called for example. I would love power play like temporary sendoffs lasting five minutes instead of yellow cards, reserving permanent sendoffs for only De Jong like fouls. I would also like the goal to be widened and made higher by six inches. Dives should be penalized with a power play penalty. Faceoffs at opponent's ends might take care of poachers. All yellow card like fouls if not bad enough for a five minute sendoff should be a free kick for the fouled team. Anything to avoid lackluster games like this WC final.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Jul '10 23:301 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    You raise an excellent point indeed. I had not considered that particular. Therefore, scratch that idea. The changes I'd like to see are the ones favoring offense. I would like only blatant offside called for example. I would love power play like temporary sendoffs lasting five minutes instead of yellow cards, reserving permanent sendoffs for only De Jo uld be a free kick for the fouled team. Anything to avoid lackluster games like this WC final.
    I'm still thinking about those changes you put forward...interesting.
    As for the final being lacklustre, I disagree. There were many chances. Had one of them gone in ...say in the first 45 min, it would've ignited the game.
    Once a game goes into extra time , teams are always going to play for the draw or scoring one on the counter. Especially in the finals. I think spain used that fact to their advantage in their last three games.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Jul '10 23:56
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I'm still thinking about those changes you put forward...interesting.
    As for the final being lacklustre, I disagree. There were many chances. Had one of them gone in ...say in the first 45 min, it would've ignited the game.
    Once a game goes into extra time , teams are always going to play for the draw or scoring one on the counter. Especially in the finals. I think spain used that fact to their advantage in their last three games.
    Full of drama, but lackluster indeed. We'll have to disagree on that. I expected a little better out of the Dutch, but indeed held out hope they would not come out hacking like they did against Brazil Since they won that one there was little hope of an open, creative Netherlands. Paul the Octopus was right and I also feel the Ducth self jinxed with the premature sale of championship merchandise. never fails. Teams that do that or their fans get egg on their face. Happened to us in Dallas. Mayor announced parade route for Mavericks since they were up 2-0. Lost next four in a row for Miami's 1st championship!

But I digress. Soccer needs a goal scoring boost. We now have two WC champions scoring less than 12 goals in winning the cup. Defenses are a lot tougher these days. In the NFL annual adjustments are made to favor offense. Soccer needs to catch up with this idea. I would also like a too many defensemen in the "zone" rule like in NBA. A free kick could be awarded from a set spot. Lastly. Good riddance Jo'bulani ball. It was like watching kids play with a beach ball, overinflated at that!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree