1. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 17:071 edit
    Holland are a good team, but Brazil should have bagged that one in the first half.

Also clearly the ref was in over his head in the match, and it's a disgrace that van Bommel and Alves finished the game on the pitch. I've read some concerns in a Danish forum about match fixing from an Asian syndicate, but I expect the WC is too big for that.

It's very sad to see these good football players dive or exaggerate offenses immensely. I remember the incident Palynka is referring to too. Robben's heading straight for Hollywood with those skills.

EDIT: Grammar
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 17:161 edit
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Holland are a good team, but Brazil should have bagged that one in the first half.

Also clearly the ref was in over his head in the match, and it's a disgrace that van Bommel and Alves finished the game on the pitch. I've read some concerns in a Danish forum about match fixing from an Asian syndicate, but I expect the WC is too big for that.

About th incident Palynka is referring to too. He's heading straight for Hollywood with those skills.
    i disagree, Brazil targeted Robben from the very beginning, they kicked him from pillar to post and back again. Both goals were the result of pressure that he created on the right flank despite their spoiling tactics. If you are going to kick a man in such a manner, expect him to sometimes fall down! They cracked after the second goal, became desperado, ungentlemanly and unprofessional behaviour followed. They can dish it out but find it hard to take! Real sore losers.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 17:16
    Originally posted by orion25
    palynka, you seem strangely one sided in your analysis. I will be the first to admit we played a dirty game. I will also admit that some players rolled around for to long after being fouled. But saying the arbiter was favouring Holland is just silly and bad loosing.

In the first 5 minutes I saw 3 hard fouls by brazilian players. 2 should have been yellow. ...[text shortened]... brazilians who couldn't take a blunder by the goalie. Also we were awesome in the second half.
    Ok, maybe I didn't express myself correctly. First, I do blame Brazilian temperament and inability to react to the first goal as the reason they lost. I thought I made that clear, but maybe not...

And you are right that the game was rough by both sides, but I think that the Dutch defense and especially Van Bommel in the midfield, were particularly cynical. The number of times Brazilian players were fouled by hitting them on the back of the ankle right before they receive the ball was ridiculously high. I really dislike this. Bastos did the same to Robben and you correctly pointed that out. Melo did a disgusting and deliberate stamp and was correctly sent off.

So I agree Brazil was also playing rough, but the consistent pattern of ankle targeting seemed almost like a deliberate strategy. My delusional comment was about using other games by Brazil as some sort of excuse. Against Ivory Coast they were also the targets and against Portugal I'm too biased to comment. 😛

And I don't think the Netherlands were awesome in the second half. I think the Brazilians collapsed after a fluke first goal (Netherlands were not really in the game until then) and then the game changed dramatically. Van Persie was poor, Sneijder was ok but not outstanding and Robben was also disappointing. Your second goal is also a clear and total failure of the Brazilian defense who let the giant Sneidjer head the ball by himself so near the goal.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 17:18
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Brazil is a much better team than the Netherlands but they completely collapsed mentally after the 1-1. In the end, Brazil can only blame themselves for giving it away.

That said, any normal ref and half of the Dutch side would not have finished this game. It's unbelievable how Van Bommel didn't even get a yellow.
    yup. same as i saw it. mello shouldn't be allowed back into brazil.. what was he doing during the second goal?

i know i predicted a draw and for brazil to go through but i'm happy the dutch might finally gets their hands on the world cup. have to watch those yellows though.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 17:24
    Originally posted by phil3000
    numbnuts ...2-1 to Holland
    where was your prediction?

oh yeah...

1-1 ---- 2-1

omg i was WELL off
  6. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 17:25
    Ok, maybe I didn't express myself correctly. First, I do blame Brazilian temperament and inability to react to the first goal as the reason they lost. I thought I made that clear, but maybe not...

And you are right that the game was rough by both sides, but I think that the Dutch defense and especially Van Bommel in the midfield, were particularly cynical ...[text shortened]... f the Brazilian defense who let the giant Sneidjer head the ball by himself so near the goal.
    Yes, that's more like what I saw. I didn't particularly see van Bommel play that rough, but, knowing his stile of play, I will take your word for this.

Ok, this is settled. Now for the next match...
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 17:26
    Originally posted by trev33
    i know i predicted a draw and for brazil to go through but i'm happy the dutch might finally gets their hands on the world cup. have to watch those yellows though.
    This also helps my 279-1 bet on Suarez + Netherlands. 😛
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 17:34
    Originally posted by Lundos

It's ver ...[text shortened]... eferring to too. Robben's heading straight for Hollywood with those skills.

EDIT: Grammar
    i'd love to know what happened with the linesman during the offside goal, he clearly let play go on after the real offside then raised his flag after robinho tapped in. then he adjusted his head set, i wonder if he got a word in his ear to raise his flag for offside. there's no way he was giving it for the actual offside.

the ref was a joke though... we needed the same ref from the portugal/holland match 4 years ago 😵

i'm going to defend robben though, they were after him all match and he was right to go down when he did... what about kaka diving trying to get a pen? hat was worse than anything robben did. just before the goal, the one paprika was talking about, there wasn't any contact but only because robben jumped over him instead on running into him. it was a free kick. look at it again.
  9. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 17:39
    This also helps my 279-1 bet on Suarez + Netherlands. 😛
    hopefully it'll look even better after tonights game.
  10. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 17:431 edit
    i'd love to know what happened with the linesman during the offside goal, he clearly let play go on after the real offside then raised his flag after robinho tapped in. then he adjusted his head set, i wonder if he got a word in his ear to raise his flag for offside. there's no way he was giving it for the actual offside.

the ref was a joke though... we n se robben jumped over him instead on running into him. it was a free kick. look at it again.
    paprika?? I though I was onion!!

Edit: It will be hard for palynka to get that bet. I think Suarez has to score at least 2 goals today if he is to have a chance at the top goalscorer spot.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 17:501 edit

Edit: It will be hard for palynka to get that bet. I think Suarez has to score at least 2 goals today if he is to have a chance at the top goalscorer spot.
    Of course it's hard, that's why it's 279-1. 😛

But if I win...

BTW: It's now 50-1 only. Getting closer! 🙂
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 17:55

before today i would've said there's more chance of suaraz getting the golden boot then holland winning the world cup. the guy is a goal machine and both ghana and holland have shown their defences to be less that perfect.
  13. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 17:59
    before today i would've said there's more chance of suaraz getting the golden boot then holland winning the world cup. the guy is a goal machine and both ghana and holland have shown their defences to be less that perfect.
    True that. Still, competition is very though.
  14. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 18:12
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i disagree, Brazil targeted Robben from the very beginning, they kicked him from pillar to post and back again. Both goals were the result of pressure that he created on the right flank despite their spoiling tactics. If you are going to kick a man in such a manner, expect him to sometimes fall down! They cracked after the second goal, became desp ...[text shortened]... fessional behaviour followed. They can dish it out but find it hard to take! Real sore losers.
    I didn't arguing that Brazil wasn't targeting Robben. I argued that in that particular situation he exaggerated a lot.

And I'm not saying that the Brazilian players were playing fair either. Only that the ref couldn't handle the intensity of the match.
  15. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    02 Jul '10 18:15

the ref was a joke though... we n ...[text shortened]... se robben jumped over him instead on running into him. it was a free kick. look at it again.
    One can always speculate as I'm sure a lot of Brazilians will do in the coming weeks.

Lol.

The free kick we can agree on, but the theatrics he can save for another stage. Also I never argued that the Brazilian were any better. Just that there's been too many dives and exaggerated situations in this WC. It's getting old fast.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree