1. Joined
    11 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Sep '07 16:02
    Originally posted by trevor33
    i don't like the way the seedings are based on previous world cups, a lot has happened in 4 years. ireland should be one of the top 4 seeds.

the sa england match should decide who gets to the semis. other than that unless ireland can pull an upset against france your other 3 teams should make the semis.
    I very much doubt that Ireland can pull a surprise against France; they are just not good enough. The French are looking awesome, their preparation has been immaculate. I saw them at the millennium stadium last month against Wales and they were in great shape. For me everyone is talking about the All Blacks and the Springbok, you'll get no argument from me there but I just get a feeling the French will be the ones causing an upset this time! No I am afraid Ireland are good side but vastly over-rated, quarter-finals at best.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Sep '07 17:21
    Originally posted by Dr. Brain
    If Portugal score 4 points it will be a modern day miracle.....although if Stuart Dickenson is blowing the game anything is possible. He will probably award 4 points for 'good effort'
    True. Nobody here cares about rugby. I didn't even know Portugal was in the cup until I saw the fixtures in this thread.
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    06 Sep '07 21:001 edit
    Originally posted by boarman
    ok here are the first games

France vs Argentina
    New zealand vs Italy
    Australia Vs Japan
    England Vs USA
    Wales Vs Canada
    South Africa Vs Samoa
    Scotland Vs Portugal
    Ireland Vs Namibia
    France
    NZ
    Australia
    England
    Wales
    South Africa
    Scotland
    Ireland.

It's not exactly rocket science. The only possible upset could be Argentina.

D
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Sep '07 22:39
    Originally posted by 1WhiteKnight
    I very much doubt that Ireland can pull a surprise against France; they are just not good enough. The French are looking awesome, their preparation has been immaculate. I saw them at the millennium stadium last month against Wales and they were in great shape. For me everyone is talking about the All Blacks and the Springbok, you'll get no argument from ...[text shortened]... this time! No I am afraid Ireland are good side but vastly over-rated, quarter-finals at best.
    explain why you think they are over-rated?
  5. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 05:23
    Originally posted by Palynka
    True. Nobody here cares about rugby. I didn't even know Portugal was in the cup until I saw the fixtures in this thread.
    Leave this thread then,nobody here cares about you .
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 07:20
    Leave this thread then,nobody here cares about you .
    Did your wife run away with the milkman or something?
  7. Standard memberboarman
    member 001
    Planet Oz
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 09:16
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Did your wife run away with the milkman or something?
    I wish!!!!!
  8. Joined
    11 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 09:48
    Originally posted by trevor33
    explain why you think they are over-rated?
    Over the past fix or six years each and every six nations I have heard the same rhetoric, this is Irelands year. I don't disagree that the Irish team has some very talented players, some of the best in the world even, but collectively as a team they are not as good as everyone makes out they are. They have been courted as this great side, but quite simply great sides win tournaments, they have been close to winning the six nations for a number of years, but failed. Their world cup record is less impressive. The All Blacks are regarded by a lot as the best side in the world, although I know a number of Springbok that would argue that point. Why are the NZs so desperate to take home the world cup? 20 Years being regarded as one of the greatest, if not the, rugby nation and not a world cup to lament such a claim.
    Ireland had their best chance at Crooke Park to win the six nations and grand slam this year, they squandered it to the French. They can't cross the line and win, they are a good team, but I am bored of hearing how well they will do in each and every six nations and now the world cup, sorry they don’t deserve such a build up.
    Ireland cannot win this world cup, they will at best get to the quarter finals, where they will meet the All Blacks and crash out, that is if they manage to beat Argentina, and last world cup they only managed to scrape that one, the Irish line up hasn’t shifted a whole lot since then where the Argentineans have improved greatly.
    I can’t argue the Irish backs are not up to it, they are fantastic and they have one of the best second rows in the world, what I’m saying is in sport you can have all the talent in the world, but without the mentality you’ll get no where. And that is what marks a champion team or sportsman, those who don’t fall short when the question is asked or freeze at the last.
    If I were Irish I would be worried as I feel their best chance at winning a six nations is about to pass them by, England will not do so good in this world cup (semis at best) and bounce back in the six nations, France will be under new management after the world cup so who knows, Italy getting better, Scotland showing signs they can compete (well maybe!) and Wales….well issues there so anyone’s guess really, the six nations to come are going to be tough affairs.
    I guess after all I have said you could turn around and say they are still a great team but underachieved, maybe, but no one remembers those teams.
  9. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 11:28
    Originally posted by 1WhiteKnight
    Over the past fix or six years each and every six nations I have heard the same rhetoric, this is Irelands year. I don't disagree that the Irish team has some very talented players, some of the best in the world even, but collectively as a team they are not as good as everyone makes out they are. They have been courted as this great side, but quite simp ...[text shortened]... nd say they are still a great team but underachieved, maybe, but no one remembers those teams.
    I think what it comes down to for Ireland is that with BOD in their side, they can beat anyone on their day. I can't say that I can see them winning the WC, but I'm not going to rule them out.

As for the match tonight... I'm torn between my will to see the Argies gain another big scalp, and wanting Les Bleus to play well as the northern hemisphere's only real chance at the title..

It's going to be close, but this is my call:

France 20 -- 18 Argentina
  10. Joined
    11 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 15:16
    Originally posted by HumeA
    I think what it comes down to for Ireland is that with BOD in their side, they can beat anyone on their day. I can't say that I can see them winning the WC, but I'm not going to rule them out.

As for the match tonight... I'm torn between my will to see the Argies gain another big scalp, and wanting Les Bleus to play well as the northern hemisphere's only re ...[text shortened]... at the title..

It's going to be close, but this is my call:

France 20 -- 18 Argentina
    Beating some on your day and being a great side worthy of continually being tipped to do well in tournaments (ie win them) are two completely different things. I agree, Ireland have the quality to beat some of the best in the world, however, they don't, and haven't and that is fundamentally why I say they are not as good as they are sometimes hyped up to be.

As for winning the world cup, well, firstly Argentina, they will find this a hard game but I think they will squeeze it; they then have to play France at home. Ireland hasn’t beaten France for the last five meetings, that includes the Crooke Park encounter in March, which lets face it they gave away and is only a glowing example of what I was trying to say in my previous post. This French side has grown since then, enormously, the Irish have not, they were found wanting at Murryfield not so long ago. That means they will meet the All Blacks, and well, sorry, Ireland are not that good.

All said and done, I have great respect for the Irish team, as already mentioned I think the quality of their backs is awesome coupled with a second row as good as anyone, they are a very good side.
  11. London
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 18:471 edit
    ok here are the first games

France vs Argentina
    New zealand vs Italy
    Australia Vs Japan
    England Vs USA
    Wales Vs Canada
    South Africa Vs Samoa
    Scotland Vs Portugal
    Ireland Vs Namibia
    Argentina
    New Zealand
    Australia
    England
    Wales
    South Africa
    Scotland
    Ireland

The first games all seem to be pretty easy picks apart from France vs Argentina, but I'm just going to go on their past matches. It's something like 4-1 to Argentina in the last five.
  12. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 21:16
    Come on guys, give your scores, don't just name the victors.
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 21:22
    Originally posted by Crowley
    France 12 - Argentina 17

D
  14. London
    Moves
    07 Sep '07 22:521 edit
    Originally posted by Crowley
    France 12 Argentina 17
    New Zealand 53 Italy 12
    Australia 48 Japan 9
    England 35 USA 22
    Wales 28 Canada 10
    South Africa 24 Samoa 17
    Scotland 40 Portugal 9
    Ireland 60 Namibia 3

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree