1. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    29 Oct '08 15:301 edit
    Anyone following the "World Series of Poker" on tv? One of the final nine is billed as a "chess hustler." How unfair to see that such a "loser" is now at least a millionaire!
    In the USA, most chess tourament cash payouts are funded by entry fees anywhere from $20 to $300. For this ultimate poker tournament, over 6000 entrants paid a $10,000 entry fee. I think roughly 600 out of the 6000 received some cash payout -- 10% seems like good odds.
  2. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    30 Oct '08 04:21
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    Anyone following the "World Series of Poker" on tv? One of the final nine is billed as a "chess hustler." How unfair to see that such a "loser" is now at least a millionaire!
    In the USA, most chess tourament cash payouts are funded by entry fees anywhere from $20 to $300. For this ultimate poker tournament, over 6000 entrants paid a $10,000 entry ...[text shortened]... I think roughly 600 out of the 6000 received some cash payout -- 10% seems like good odds.
    i WATCH IT EVERY WEEK
  3. Northeast
    Moves
    01 Nov '08 06:23
    It's very good TV, plus you learn a lot.
  4. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    01 Nov '08 09:57
    In the USA, most chess tourament cash payouts are funded by entry fees anywhere from $20 to $300. For this ultimate poker tournament, over 6000 entrants paid a $10,000 entry ...[text shortened]... I think roughly 600 out of the 6000 received some cash payout -- 10% seems like good odds.
    Why's it unfair? He's got where he is through his poker skill - what bearing does that have on his past chess hustling?
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Nov '08 18:462 edits
    I was in Denver and saw a hustler on the street wanting to play chess for $10.00 a game.
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Nov '08 18:46
    If you like your odds, get in there. I have played in the WSOP, but I don't play the Hold'em tourney, but rather the Omaha H/L and 7 card stud tourneys. I have never won one, but I have cashed in two small ones. It is a lot tougher than you think to win those tournies. There are bad beats you can't account for. Sometimes the suckouts are absolute killers. You have seen many of them if you watch. I was actually at the WSOP (as a spectator) watching until they got to the final 3 tables. I watched Matasow hold court and get gutted. I saw Helmuth lose his temper twice, and then get knocked out of the show. It is becoming more and more difficult for true pros to win the WSOP Hold'em crown because of the tremendous number of amatuers and online players plunking down the cash to play and catching some cards. All I am saying is the odds aren't that great without lady luck on your side.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree