1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 16:09
    Originally posted by jofaz
    Usually the Superbowl is just an awful game. But this was a great game -- there was no point in the game where the losing team could not have gone ahead with one score.
    Man o man...we have huge disparities in the quality of a football game apparently.

If it wasn't the Superbowl game, and just some regular season game, i think most of you would change your mind.

The 4th quarter was good, but i still say the first 3 quarters sucked balls. A good finish does not a good game make.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 19:51
    Originally posted by uzless
    What????????

You Yanks have an odd concept of what a National Anthem is. It's supposed to be, you know, AN ANTHEM!

Not some love song!

Ever since Whitney Houston it's been one singer after another singing the anthem as slow and dreamy as possible.

You guys should change the name from The US National Anthem to The US National Love Song! 😛
    You must be kidding; "Oh, Canada"?????(a good song, but an NA couldn't be more syrupy)

The Star Spangled Banner is a real bitch to sing with wild changes in pitch; opera singers mess it up. Sparks sang it beautifully.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 19:531 edit
    Man o man...we have huge disparities in the quality of a football game apparently.

If it wasn't the Superbowl game, and just some regular season game, i think most of you would change your mind.

The 4th quarter was good, but i still say the first 3 quarters sucked balls. A good finish does not a good game make.
    You must really hate football or be a rabid Patriot fan. The first three quarters were tense, hard hitting football which set the stage for the decisive 4th. Only someone who doesn't know anything about the game would say they "sucked".

And a great, classic finish filled with must make plays make a GREAT, not a good game.
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 20:00
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    You must be kidding; "Oh, Canada"?????(a good song, but an NA couldn't be more syrupy)

The Star Spangled Banner is a real bitch to sing with wild changes in pitch; opera singers mess it up. Sparks sang it beautifully.
    Speed up the tempo, and some cymbal smashes, stomp your feet and rock the beat....now there's an ANTHEM!

But the biggest thing is speeding it up...not slowing it down to some kind of navel gazing Jesu/Maria Carey type song.

Personal preference, I suppose.
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 20:051 edit
    You must really hate football or be a rabid Patriot fan. The first three quarters were tense, hard hitting football which set the stage for the decisive 4th. Only someone who doesn't know anything about the game would say they "sucked".

And a great, classic finish filled with must make plays make a GREAT, not a good game.
    It was a mistake filled game. They looked like a college team..or worse, the Miami Dolphins!!

It was frickin amateur hour in the first half...dropped passes, bad throws, quarterbacks not tucking the ball away, fumbles, fumbled balls batted down field for a penalty instead of out of bounds....I think Manning had a passer rating of 55 in the first half.

Hell even the kicker kicked his kick-off out of bounds! Who does that in a SUPERBOWL of all games???

Brady misses a wide open Moss at the end of the 3rd quarter for what should have been an easy touchdown.

Who was the cornerback who had an easy interception on a badly thrown overthrow that just went through his hands?

Manning named MVP with only 19 of about 40 pass attempts

Sure, the defense hurried an immobile Brady and sacked him because he couldn't move but for the most part it was Amateur hour out there.

And if the frickin NE linebackers had just tackled Manning instead of trying to throw him to the ground he wouldn't have got away to make that lame duck throw that gets picked off 9 times outta 10 in any other game.

I guess I just expect more from Pro athletes in the biggest game of the season.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 20:14
    It was a mistake filled game. They looked like a college team..or worse, the Miami Dolphins!!

It was frickin amateur hour in the first half...dropped passes, bad throws, quarterbacks not tucking the ball away, fumbles, fumbled balls batted down field for a penalty instead of out of bounds....I think Manning had a passer rating of 55 in the first half.
    ...[text shortened]... r out there.

I guess I just expect more from Pro athletes in the biggest game of the season.
    You seem unfamiliar with the concept of teams playing DEFENSE.

At least look up the stats; Manning was 19-34. Personally, I would have given the award to Justin Tuck as the best performer on a defensive line that dominated the game. Eli did lead the G-Men 83 yards with 2:30 to go, though he was a bit shaky on the pass Samuel could have picked and threw a prayer that David Tyree answered.

I have never seen an NFL game with no mistakes; I guess you see them all the time.
  7. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 20:47
    I thought the Super Bowl was a great game. It was a game that the defenses settled in and took over. When the game was late the two teams had to produce or lose. new england scored to go ahead then it was up to their defense to own the Giants and the Super Bowl. The New York Giants offense vs the new england defense then became what the Super Bowl was about. The Giants now had to produce or lose. I guess the Giants wanted the win more then did new england. This Super Bowl matchup is worthy of being called a championship game.
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 21:09

At least look up the stats; Manning was 19-34. Personally, I would have given the award to Justin Tuck as the best performer on a defensive line that dominated the game. Eli did lead the G-Men 83 yards with 2:30 to go, though he was a bit shaky on the pass Samuel ...[text shortened]...

I have never seen an NFL game with no mistakes; I guess you see them all the time.
    Ding-Ding-Ding!!!

Tuck was clearly deserving of the MVP award, and it was simply a great game. But to appease the OP, why don't we have next years super bowl teams throw out their defenses and play with the defense from the nearest D-II college. That should give him the idiotic one-sided game he wants; The team with the ball last wins.

P.S. I'm a huge fan of pitchers duels in baseball. Jack Morris will forever be my hero solely for his work in game 7 of the 1991 world series.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 22:12
    I enjoyed the game, but never could bring myself to believe it was real. It was like enjoying a WWF (or WWE nowadays, right?) match. The Pats threw it.
  10. Standard membermochiron
    The Don
    Nihon
    Moves
    05 Feb '08 23:59
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Is this most watched for Americans or most watched worldwide?
    Ney...It's called the World Cup...

but the Superbowl is usally good as well.

This one was a good one. Period. Great D and great 4th quarter.
  11. Standard memberRobolash
    The NY Giants Fan
    Moves
    06 Feb '08 03:19
    acorrding to statistics it was a good show, second most watched program besides the series finalie of MASH
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 06:21
    Originally posted by Robolash
    acorrding to statistics it was a good show, second most watched program besides the series finalie of MASH
    Survivor and American Idol were the most watched programs in the US for years.

Ratings do not equate to quality my friend.
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 06:34

At least look up the stats; Manning was 19-34. Personally, I would have given the award to Justin Tuck as the best performer on a defensive line that dominated the game. Eli did lead the G-Men 83 yards with 2:30 to go, though he was a bit shaky on the pass Samuel ...[text shortened]...

Ahhhhhhh, i just figured it out. You guys are all Yanks and I'm Canadian. You only watch NFL football, whereas we also watch CFL games.

The CFL has a bigger field, 12 men on the field and only 3 downs instead of 4. This places a higher degree of accuracy and precision on the offense. Running backs and wide receivers have to read the defense and break off routes during blitzes...they have to pick up the blitzing back and they MUST come up with the catch or else it's punting time right away.

Where you guys see, "great defense", I see the inability of the offense to adapt to the defense. I saw poor offensive execution rather than good defense. The Giants offense looked like it did all year....I didn' see them do anything different or special until the 4th quarter.

I was at a Superbowl party here in Toronto and we were all commenting on how bad a game it was and how junky the offenses were...anyone ever hear of a screen to slow down the blitz packages?? 5 sacks on Brady is a joke if you are the dude setting up the New England offense. It might have been a different game if Brady could have actually moved somewhere, anywhere, outta the pocket to buy a bit of time. Hell, he looked like JP Lossman out there for a while! And that last possession for NE was a joke 38 seconds to get a field goal and they just throw hail mary's to an injured Randy Moss who couldn't even jump??

Anyway, to each his own. If y'all want to give credit to the defense, rather than slap the offense for not adapting, then alright.
  14. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 06:431 edit

At least look up the stats; Manning was 19-34. .
    19-34..

I said 19 of about 40.....close enough dude.

Either way, 19-34 is barely over 50% completion...def not MVP numbers but everyone elses numbers were so bad there was no one else to give it to.

I would have given it to the punter. 😉
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Feb '08 13:231 edit
    Ahhhhhhh, i just figured it out. You guys are all Yanks and I'm Canadian. You only watch NFL football, whereas we also watch CFL games.

The CFL has a bigger field, 12 men on the field and only 3 downs instead of 4. This places a higher degree of accuracy and precision on the offense. Running backs and wide receivers have to read the defense and break o give credit to the defense, rather than slap the offense for not adapting, then alright.
    I see; you watch fake football and think real football should be played like it! That makes you an idiot.

EDIT: Yeah for excitement try the 2007 Grey Cup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Grey_Cup

Two offensive touchdowns and three safeties! Yeah, those offenses in fake football are awesome!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree