1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 15:02
    https://www.ted.com/talks/susan_blackmore_on_memes_and_temes?language=en#t-1148591

This is a TED Talk given by Susan Blackmore in 2008. In it she talks about genes, memes, and temes, which are technological memes. In her view (and Richard Dawkins) humans are gene replicating machines. It's the genes that are in charge, and they are using us (unconsciously) to get themselves reproduced.

Memes and temes, as second and third replicators, follow the same process as genes, and use us to get themselves reproduced. But each level has greater and greater danger, with the possibility that the third replicator (temes) will eventually be able to self-replicate, without needing us for that process any longer.

It's a fascinating 19 minutes. If anyone has the time to watch it, I'd like to hear their comments.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Oct '18 18:05
    @rwingett said
    https://www.ted.com/talks/susan_blackmore_on_memes_and_temes?language=en#t-1148591

This is a TED Talk given by Susan Blackmore in 2008. In it she talks about genes, memes, and temes, which are technological memes. In her view (and Richard Dawkins) humans are gene replicating machines. It's the genes that are in charge, and they are using us (unconsciously) to get themselv ...[text shortened]...
    It's a fascinating 19 minutes. If anyone has the time to watch it, I'd like to hear their comments.
    Sounds like you're describing the story line in the Terminator.

The machines eventually take over.
  3. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    24 Oct '18 02:26
    @rwingett

thanks,
    sort of over my head, but, it's late, i'm tired, and i feel like a meme...
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 08:57
    @rwingett said
    This is a TED Talk given by Susan Blackmore in 2008. In it she talks about genes, memes, and temes, which are technological memes. In her view (and Richard Dawkins) humans are gene replicating machines. It's the genes that are in charge, and they are using us (unconsciously) to get themselves reproduced.
    The thought is not new. I've heard about it long time ago.

And of course it has some truth in it. Like eggs are using chickens to reproduce.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree