1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Oct '18 11:36
    Technology is not neutral. All technologies are embedded with a host of values that only manifest themselves upon the widespread adoption of that technology. They then serve to condition the way we view the world and exert an influence upon the choices we subsequently make.
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 04:36
    @rwingett said
    Technology is not neutral. All technologies are embedded with a host of values that only manifest themselves upon the widespread adoption of that technology. They then serve to condition the way we view the world and exert an influence upon the choices we subsequently make.
    Yes, but, don't you agree that Apple products have lately gone to crap?
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 13:11
    @rwingett said
    I think this is pretty much true and gave it a thumbs up to offset the haters. In particular, there is a trend now to let the tools of technology use us, rather than us using the tools.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 18:16
    Don't get me wrong...I am a fan of Technology and the advancements it brings...I just think we should apply it from a base of good values.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 18:233 edits
    @rwingett

Where do you start? A blade? It can be a surgeon's scalpel, or a thug's murder weapon. The wheel? It can be used on a hey cart or a war chariot. Fire? It can cook your meat or start a forestfire. In most cases, technology is neutral; the intentions of the users determine whether technology is good or evil.

Of course, there are some exceptions. Biological weapons, for example, or hydrogen bombs. These were designed to be weapons of mass destruction.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 18:40
    @moonbus said
    @rwingett

Where do you start? A blade? It can be a surgeon's scalpel, or a thug's murder weapon. The wheel? It can be used on a hey cart or a war chariot. Fire? It can cook your meat or start a forestfire. In most cases, technology is neutral; the intentions of the users determine whether technology is good or evil.

Of course, there are some exceptions. Biological weapons, for example, or hydrogen bombs. These were designed to be weapons of mass destruction.
    His point is that the biases of the designer carry over into the actual design. I fail to see how this is controversial.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 16:48
    @bigdoggproblem said
    His point is that the biases of the designer carry over into the actual design. I fail to see how this is controversial.
    No, my point is that technology forms the biases of the designer. The way we interact with the world, the things we think about, and even the way we think, are all conditioned by our technology.
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 17:011 edit
    @moonbus said
    @rwingett

The values embedded within technology are those of hierarchy, centralization, specialization, and a general estrangement from nature. The more advanced the levels of technology a society adopts, the more those values will manifest themselves in that society. This is not something that is incidental to technology, nor could it turn out any other way. Every society that adopts advanced technology will exhibit an increased incidence of those values. Those values are therefore embedded within the technology itself, waiting to manifest themselves. Of course any technology seems neutral to an individual user, but upon the widespread adoption of technology by society, those values invariably manifest themselves within that society.
  9. SubscriberBenjamin Barker
    Demon Barber
    Fleet Street
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 17:03
    @rwingett

So this is the counter theory to SCOT?
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 17:10
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Don't get me wrong...I am a fan of Technology and the advancements it brings...I just think we should apply it from a base of good values.
    Modern dentistry and hydrogen bombs are a package deal. You cannot have one without the other.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    17 Oct '18 17:15
    @benjamin-barker said
    @rwingett

So this is the counter theory to SCOT?
    I'm not sure. I'm not sure what the term (social construction of technology?) entails.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Oct '18 00:33
    @moonbus said
    @rwingett

So does this tech forum mean we can talk about power tools?
  13. SubscriberBenjamin Barker
    Demon Barber
    Fleet Street
    Moves
    18 Oct '18 09:33
    @rwingett said
    I'm not sure. I'm not sure what the term (social construction of technology?) entails.
    It's a part of the field of social constructivism... the theory being that technology does not determine human action, but that rather, human action shapes technology. Therefor the way technology is used cannot be understood without understanding how it is embedded within its social context.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    18 Oct '18 10:181 edit
    @benjamin-barker said
    It's a part of the field of social constructivism... the theory being that technology does not determine human action, but that rather, human action shapes technology. Therefor the way technology is used cannot be understood without understanding how it is embedded within its social context.
    I would take the opposite position, then. That technology determines, or at least heavily influences, human action. While human action undoubtedly shapes technology, it also works the other way, with technology shaping human action. The more immersive technology becomes, the more it tends toward the latter. As Henry David Thoreau said, "We have become the tools of our tools."
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Oct '18 10:33
    @rwingett said
    I would take the opposite position, then. That technology determines, or at least heavily influences, human action. While human action undoubtedly shapes technology, it also works the other way, with technology shaping human action. The more immersive technology becomes, the more it tends toward the latter. As Henry David Thoreau said, "We have become the tools of our tools."
    🔥

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree