1. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    25 Jan '20 19:542 edits
    Supposedly microsoft no longer supports windows 7 users.
    This was supposed to take effect on 14 January of this year.
    I still am being sent updates to install.
    I have been sent updates on January 15, 17, 18, 21 and 24.

Have any other windows 7 users been getting these recent updates?
    Since they supposedly have quit supporting win 7, I am kind of hesitant to install any more of these, in case they are being sent from elsewhere.

Am I just being paranoid, or should I really quit installing them?
  2. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 03:16
    @mwmiller
    After Jan 14th, I have received and installed three Defender updates. Since Defender isn't necessary to run Windows 7 OS, I feel safe enough. Or, possibly, the updates were written prior to 1/14/20, and just released after 1/14/20.
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    26 Jan '20 11:47
    @ogb
    So I think you are saying that "Security Intelligence Updates for Windows Defender Antivirus" are not sent specifically for windows 7 operating systems, and therefore I will continue to receive them?

Thanks for the reply!
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jan '20 02:45
    @mwmiller
    Still, they update the definitions which change all the time so I would download them anyway.
    I have one running 7, a recording laptop with Sonar Platinum which sux because they went belly up and so not only do I have an old OS I have a belly up DAW😉
    I upgraded to a better laptop with win 10 which I am getting used to, don't really like it that much but at least it is supported for now.
    I went to Studio one pro for my DAW, I have 123 tracks of acoustic guitar and mandolin and other stuff on Soundcloud now. Learning new DAW is frustrating but it seems simpler to use than my old Sonar (Cakewalk, out of Boston, but now Bandlab in Singapore)
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    06 Feb '20 10:441 edit
    Also, there was this too (another "final" patch) :

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/01/27/windos_7_patch_me_baby_one_more_time/

edit : Also, I'm curious why the resistance to moving to Windows 10? Now very mature and stable.
  6. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    07 Feb '20 15:17
    @Russ

My take on Windows 10 is that it tries to control the user , and find out way too much information about you. Also, it has removed many options/settings from the user's hands..
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Feb '20 15:26
    @russ said

edit : Also, I'm curious why the resistance to moving to Windows 10? Now very mature and stable.
    I have a 7 and a 10. I prefer the 7 but do all my serious stuff, banking etc on the 10(dont like edge or the layout).
  8. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    07 Feb '20 15:34
    @badradger said
    I have a 7 and a 10. I prefer the 7 but do all my serious stuff, banking etc on the 10(dont like edge or the layout).
    So how was the transition to 10 (from 7)? I'm still on the fence...
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    07 Feb '20 15:54
    @badradger said
    dont like edge
    Surely you are not using Internet Explorer still though?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Feb '20 16:07
    @russ said
    Surely you are not using Internet Explorer still though?
    I have chrome, did try firefox but its not compatible with santanders security. trie to download ubuntu on the 7 but couldnt get it to run.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Feb '20 16:09
    @ogb said
    So how was the transition to 10 (from 7)? I'm still on the fence...
    dont like the 10 set up had the acer 10 for 18 months still prefer to mess about on my 7 another acer thats so old its steam driven.
  12. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    13 Feb '20 16:23
    @russ said

My computer came with Windows 10 installed. It was OK for a few months and then it started to spend a great deal of time trying,and re-trying,to install updates that failed to install. Microsofts help page didn't and only cost me more time. In the end I installed Linux mint and since then have had no problems at all.
  13. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    14 Feb '20 05:15
    @biffo-konker said
    My computer came with Windows 10 installed. It was OK for a few months and then it started to spend a great deal of time trying,and re-trying,to install updates that failed to install. Microsofts help page didn't and only cost me more time. In the end I installed Linux mint and since then have had no problems at all.
    Is Linux Mint a commercial program? So all the Windows 7 programs will run w/o any problems?
  14. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    14 Feb '20 15:26
    @ogb said
    Is Linux Mint a commercial program? So all the Windows 7 programs will run w/o any problems?
    Linux Mint is a free program that uses open source free software.
    It is easy to install and run without being a computer expert.I suggest you look at this link if you want to find out more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint
  15. Joined
    04 May '11
    Moves
    17 Feb '20 12:08
    @ogb said
    In my experience, unless you have specialized needs, all programs you need either run on Linux or have good quality alternatives that do.

Of course, if you've spent a lot of time learning Photoshop, switching to GIMP or Inkscape might not feel very appealing, and if you're an avid gamer, things are somewhat trickier(I've not run into too many games that won't run on Linux if you use up-to-date versions of kernel and Wine, although sometimes getting them to run requires trickery).

At the end of the day, it's free and easy to try out, and only you can tell whether it fits your needs or not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree