1. The sky
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 21:17
    Originally posted by frev
    I'm not a subscriber so I've never played a tournament in RHP so, sorry if mine is a stupid question.
    I was just wondering, can someone currently rated 1400 enter a banded tournament 1700+?
    Only if xyr rating has been 1700+ at some point within the last 30 days.
  2. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    11 Dec '06 22:04
    Originally posted by irax
    I have to say that I disagree with the exact implementation of this solution. I agree that 30 days is just a pathetic amount of time to calculate the eligibility for tournaments, forever is such a long time.

Why not just increase the number of days to something like 180 days, or 365 days, it has the same effect and Russ should be able to implement this immed ...[text shortened]... on how he's coded the limit, it could be as simple as changing 30 to 180 and then recompiling!
    Its a difficult thing to please all.

If you get a 2100 rated player who had dropped to 1400 and is then limited to only playing tournaments at say a maximum of 200 less than their best rating. This means that they could only enter tournaments at 1900+

What happens to the points calculations when that player then beats a genuine 2000 rated player who is at or around the 2000 point mark. The 1400 rated player gains a lot of points and the 2000 rated player loses a lot of points.

Do we then have to calculate points based on the previous high rating?

What we need is a ratings limiter that works both ways.

If you have a highest ever rating of 2000 then you are unable to enter any banded tournament with an entry level of less than 1800 and unless your rating is 1800 or more at the time the tournament is available then you are unable to join.

This stops the pathetic heroes who are way to good for lower rated tournments from entering and also stops the large points differences that would occur when a higher rated, but pathetic hero wins a game when their rating is several hundred points adrift of what it should be.
  3. Sydney
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 05:39
    I still think tournament moderators are the best solution. Human solutions for human problems.
  4. Sydney
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 05:56
    Originally posted by David Tebb

Then there are the really strong players who have just come out of their provisional rating period. Often these players are 500 or 600 points below their true rating and know it. But they've only recently joined the site and become a subscriber and are keen to play in as many tournaments as possible. So they enter everything that they can. By the second ...[text shortened]... players in their groups in the earlier rounds and should never have been in the tournament.
    This is exactly my position in 2 tournaments i entered right after becoming a member. Having not been rated OTB for 15 years I was unsure of what RHP rating to expect. I would gleefully withdraw and as neither tournament has progressed past the first round the damage would be minimal but i don't see any option for doing this .. perhaps the site admins can do this and if i win all the games in my section then my games can simply be removed from the calculation.
  5. Joined
    12 Aug '04
    Moves
    12 Dec '06 10:51
    Yes, it's pathetic for someone who used to be rated over 2000 to enter a tournament designed for players between 1400 and 1550.

Whether he wins it or even qualifies from his group is irrelevant. Just by being in the tournament this player is ruining it for others.

The rules need to be changed. A player's highest ever rating must be taken into acco ...[text shortened]... of 1700.

.... and so on, all the way down to the bottom.

Why wouldn't that work?
    Great point, David. Rec'd.
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 14:50
    ..............those muppets like ItsYouThatIAdore, players of 1900+ strength entering 1400-1500 tournamentsTournament 1379..........just reviewing my active tournaments I came across this one but I guess there are a lot out there............all damned Dustnrogers emulators😞
    I notice ItsYouThatIAdore was rated 1949 on 8th December but now, five days later, he/she/it is only 1506! That's quite a fall.
  7. Berks.
    Moves
    13 Dec '06 20:35
    Well vorgod has now clinched the top spot in that group.

As for a rating fall that large, it's either timeouts, saving the defeats to be resigned in one go, or just resigning to cut down on game numbers. The last one seems the case here.

Although having just done the same thing, as of yesterday I'm eligible for bands below 1300. Which I'm not entering. It's not fair and defeats the point of bands (I suspect I'd have a very good chance of winning one though).

Now I'm not intending to enter any tournaments at present anyway, but it'd be nice to have some higher bands available to me.
  8. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 12:11
    Yes, it's pathetic for someone who used to be rated over 2000 to enter a tournament designed for players between 1400 and 1550.

Whether he wins it or even qualifies from his group is irrelevant. Just by being in the tournament this player is ruining it for others.

The rules need to be changed. A player's highest ever rating must be taken into acco ...[text shortened]... of 1700.

Why wouldn't that work?
    I've now changed it to be 365 days rather than 30 days so this might provide a slight solution until a more permanent fix is found.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 13:10
    Originally posted by Chris
    I've now changed it to be 365 days rather than 30 days so this might provide a slight solution until a more permanent fix is found.
    Oh no... Then I'm stuck in my band for a whole year... :'(
  10. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 13:23
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Oh no... Then I'm stuck in my band for a whole year... :'(
    Probably not, because we will be improving the way the tournament entry system works over the next few months.
  11. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 15:16
    Thanks Chris, this will cause a lot of complaints about sandbaggers to stop. I realise that it's not the full solution as there are other problems to tackle with tournaments but it's the first step along the road.

Thanks again.
  12. Standard memberSnowman606
    Playing badly
    Underground
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 16:13
    Wow, its quite revealing seeing how much of a change there is between the highest ratings of some of my opponents from before this change to now.

I don't feel so bad about some of my impending defeats now 🙂
  13. Sydney, Australia
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 17:25
    Originally posted by idioms
    I still think tournament moderators are the best solution. Human solutions for human problems.
    But idioms, you arent human. You are australian. And you have eye brows like the mentat in David Lynch's Dune. 😉
  14. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 17:411 edit

The rules need to be changed. A player's highest ever rating must be taken into acco of 1700.

Why wouldn't that work?
    I totally agree although maybe the limit should be 150 or 200 points below the highest ever rating. This obviously would not and should not apply to players on the way up who have never had a rating above the limit level when they enter the tournament.

For example I entered Tournament 1173 not long after I joined and my rating had never been above that level here. I am now likely to win it but this was not a deliberate play. I entered a number of other bandied tournaments on my way up and I most certainly am not going to win them all.

Edit: At no point have I been able to withdraw from the tournament without losing loads of rating points so I wouldn't want to do this.
  15. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    14 Dec '06 18:46
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Edit: At no point have I been able to withdraw from the tournament without losing loads of rating points so I wouldn't want to do this.
    You can resign at the start of a round without any rating penalty.

D

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree