1. USA New Mexico
    Moves
    12 Oct '13 23:09
    montagueX and I are playing 2 tournament games. He has a vacation flag up but his time out has expired. He doesn't answer my messages to please move or resign. What do I do?
  2. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    13 Oct '13 12:48
    Originally posted by leokins
    montagueX and I are playing 2 tournament games. He has a vacation flag up but his time out has expired. He doesn't answer my messages to please move or resign. What do I do?
    Nothing. One of the benefits of subscription is the 36 days per year of vacation time which can be set so as to prevent being timed out whilst you sip pina coladas on some idyllic verandah.
    Unlike other chess websites RHP time continues to tick so your opponent will have less time to finish the game when he returns. For opponents who move during vacation time but are using it to augment their game load various strategies can be applied. Playing slower so that they waste more vacation time whilst waiting for your move is a good trick as they will have less vacation time in round two and will time out big style later in the year. Anyway he's moved - good luck!
  3. California
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 01:11
    So subscribers can cheat?
  4. California
    Moves
    03 Nov '13 01:15
    Essentially you are saying that a 21 day, no timeout no vacation tournament is a farce, and is false advertising. If a player is losing, or in danger of a draw, he can spend two weeks avoiding a timeout defeat.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    04 Nov '13 06:30
    I've always felt that tournaments with 0 days per move and only a lump of timebank should be excluded altogether from the vacation system. Perhaps we should take this back to Site Ideas yet again, because nobody will see it in this forum.
  6. Joined
    15 Apr '11
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 13:49
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I've always felt that tournaments with 0 days per move and only a lump of timebank should be excluded altogether from the vacation system. Perhaps we should take this back to Site Ideas yet again, because nobody will see it in this forum.
    100% agree. I am tired of playing hardcore tournaments where players use the vacation to extend the game. If the advert is vacation phobic then it should run ex vacation rules.
    Thought the purpose of offering different lengths of move time and timeout was to get like playing habits playing together.
  7. Joined
    15 Apr '11
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 13:51
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    Nothing. One of the benefits of subscription is the 36 days per year of vacation time which can be set so as to prevent being timed out whilst you sip pina coladas on some idyllic verandah.
    Unlike other chess websites RHP time continues to tick so your opponent will have less time to finish the game when he returns. For opponents who move during vacation ti ...[text shortened]... time in round two and will time out big style later in the year. Anyway he's moved - good luck!
    When I started the 36 days was much less ... 21 or 24. This was much better and less abuse. Who goes on vacation for 36 days per annum where they cannot move?
  8. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 19:38
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    I think no vacation in the hardcore 0/21 fair enough.

The site championship is not so clear as the finalists may need to play 3 rounds which takes most of the year and it is unreasonable not to expect them to take holiday. BUT, as the clock continues to count down anyway maybe not...
  9. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    18 Nov '13 19:54
    Originally posted by GruffGriff
    When I started the 36 days was much less ... 21 or 24. This was much better and less abuse. Who goes on vacation for 36 days per annum where they cannot move?
    Sorry I think your memory fails you or you have confused RHP with another site. RHP's current vacation system was introduced in March 2007 with 36 days (3 days a month) from it's inception as this thread from the announcements forum shows Thread 63417 following the consultation vote the year before [vid]13[/vid]

Personally I have a liking for both 1 day games and disappearing off on my bicycle (with limited technology) several times a year so I find it quite easy to use up my allotted 3 days average a month.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree