1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    17 Sep '07 11:55
    surprisingly there is a first major upset i the tournament Cambridgean a 1900+ gives up both games against a 1200...
  2. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Sep '07 19:261 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 04:31
    cambrigean gave up the games because he realized that the pairing was completely unfair. he would rather resign and take the point loss than win in a completely unfair match up.

if you have any doubts about this, please private message him to ask him directly. please do not blast away in the forums unless you check on it.
  4. Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 07:37
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    surprisingly there is a first major upset i the tournament Cambridgean a 1900+ gives up both games against a 1200...
    Can't see what the problem is ......

I gave BritCommando 2 games so that pretty much evens up the group such that any of the 4 can go through to the next round, including me!

I'm now playing BritC in an unrated game where i can spend some time coaching him rather than just blasting through 2 games with the sole purpose of winning 😏
  5. Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 07:40
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I've forwarded on your email to the moderators. Read response to

Can I suggest in future you put what small brain you have in gear before you engage your mouth

Read my response to ponderable, dickhead
  6. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 11:251 edit
    Originally posted by cambridgeian
    Can't see what the problem is ......

I gave BritCommando 2 games so that pretty much evens up the group such that any of the 4 can go through to the next round, including me!

I'm now playing BritC in an unrated game where i can spend some time coaching him rather than just blasting through 2 games with the sole purpose of winning 😏
    You shouldn't be able to resign two of your games on purpose just so someone other than yourself goes to round 2. Besides, what if BritC wins enough games to knock you out of the tournament?

As for your statement, "I'm now playing BritC in an unrated game where i can spend some time coaching him rather than just blasting through 2 games with the sole purpose of winning", tournament pairings are random most of the time.

You're really supposed to play out your games wheter it seems fair to you or not. 😠

I also have a problem with this because you gave him your rating points by resigning after two moves. If you're gonna resign a game, it should be before it even starts.

While you say the group seems unfair, any one of them could pull off an upset over you, so you shouldn't underestimate people based on their ratings.
  7. Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 11:35
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    You shouldn't be able to resign two of your games on purpose just so someone other than yourself goes to round 2. Besides, what if BritC wins enough games to knock you out of the tournament?

As for your statement, "I'm now playing BritC in an unrated game where i can spend some time coaching him rather than just blasting through 2 games with the so ...[text shortened]... pull off an upset over you, so you shouldn't underestimate people based on their ratings.
    I don't believe the pairings are entirely random (my experience to-date is that in a group of 4 there's at least 1 high-rated and 1 low-rated)

I would add that as they are my games I'm entitled to do what I want with them. What's hacked me off is the suggestion that I had ulterior motives. I don't.

Without wishing to belittle, but its likely the result would have been only me progressing. Seems to me now that everyone gets a chance, and if I don't win all four remaining and go out then that's fine ... there's always another tourney 🙂
  8. Standard memberadim
    Brian Hugh Warner
    On top
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 17:20
    DD boy, you want to make this thread the next greatest thing that ever happened to you?

P.S. I know you pick your targets very high, kiddo (and I'm not talking about rating here). First Derek, now cambridgeian.... Cludi, get ready! 😀
  9. Canada
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 17:16
    I think DD is correct a bit on this one. The pairings are as they are, so what, most players complain about getting placed in a group with 3 to 5 extremely strong players. While in this case, you get an extremely low rated player, which means almost everyone else in the group is going to have a better rating then him anyhow, and then you resign those two games in order to give him a chance? Sounds rather silly no offence, and I am trying to say this in the nicest way since I have a lot of respect for you Camb from our prior games. I think if you really wanted to help him, you did the right thing by setting up a couple games to coach him. Otherwise the resigning was really not needed. But then again, its with in the rules, and you have done nothing wrong.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 08:49
    Ridiculous.

I suppose the All Blacks & Springbocks should have thrown some of their games to give others in their groups a chance?
  11. Joined
    29 Mar '05
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 23:17
    Would be nice if the ratings could take into account performance within games as well as the final result.
  12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    05 Oct '07 23:27

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Joined
    27 Apr '05
    Moves
    06 Oct '07 10:45
    Originally posted by ItsYouThatIAdore
    I think DD is correct a bit on this one. The pairings are as they are, so what, most players complain about getting placed in a group with 3 to 5 extremely strong players. While in this case, you get an extremely low rated player, which means almost everyone else in the group is going to have a better rating then him anyhow, and then you resign tho ...[text shortened]... was really not needed. But then again, its with in the rules, and you have done nothing wrong.
    With hindsight what I should've done was resigned 1 game against each of the lower rated. Eitherway, Brticommando played 1 unrated game with coaching, and he played ok. I think a lot of players play far too many concurrent games here with the result that their true rating is lower than their capability. For the Trigz76 games we discussed each move in both games and again he played better that his rating. Without trying to be smart, i hope both gained more from the games than just playing in a tourney.

The current position (check it out) is that I've got my 12 points, but Britcommando can still get 18 and Prodigy 12. If the games now go to rating then there'll be 3 players going through ... if not, then i could be out ! Seems to me this is a much more interesting group ...

I have to say that I often play rated games where (if requested) we discuss the moves, and there have been occasions where a 'take-back' has been manufactured to keep the game going ...

I've long since passed the stage here on RHP where the winning is all.

Camb

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree