1. USA
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 04:20
    Whats the significance of winning a tournament (octets, banded etc.) when there is going to be another touranament almost identical to the previous one in 2 weeks or so?

(I think thematics are excluded from this)
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 05:33
    winning tournaments is the most significant achievement possible
  3. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 06:51
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    Whats the significance of winning a tournament (octets, banded etc.) when there is going to be another touranament almost identical to the previous one in 2 weeks or so?

(I think thematics are excluded from this)
    It is about competing against your fellow chessplayers.
    It is a measure of consistency.
    I have won 20 tournaments so far.
  4. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 11:21
    Originally posted by caissad4
    It is about competing against your fellow chessplayers.
    It is a measure of consistency.
    I have won 20 tournaments so far.
    Also, to become a better player
  5. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 12:02
    For me the only significance of tournament play is the fact that it makes me try a bit harder than I would in a one off game as there is something at stake rather than a few points difference to your rating, I doubt I will ever win a tournament but it gives me an incentive to play more carefully when I enter them.
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    17 Oct '07 20:14
    For me it's a symbol of sustained excellence. In my case, I often get to round two (or much latter in duels) but I often slip up in one or two games against lower rated players thus ruining my chance to win the entire thing. One of my goals is to be able to sustain my play at a level that allows me to win a tournament. Unfortunately, this goal isn't compatible with my other goal of playing 100+ games simultaneously thus deriving maximum enjoyment from this site.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree