The Most Marvelous Position to Ever Grace the Chess Board

The Most Marvelous Position to Ever Grace the Chess Board

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B

Moves
27 Jun 20

The Babson Task is my favorite chess puzzle of all time. I made a video that explains the puzzle and discusses the fascinating history of the problem. I thought some people here might enjoy it!

(If you haven’t heard of the Babson Task, you’re really missing out)

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
28 Jun 20

@BitFlippingMuckraker

Good video. One other interesting bit of history is that the task was achieved in Selfmate form in 1926, a number of years before Yarosh's directmate in 1983.

For those interested in some extra history, there is a good Wiki article on the subject.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babson_task

B

Moves
28 Jun 20

@BigDoggProblem

Good point! Another remark from your Wikipedia link is that Pierre Drumare, who I mention in the video, also published a Babson task shortly before Yarosh but it wasn't considered satisfactory - the position was illegal and had a ton of promoted pieces on the board.

e4

Moves
13 Jul 20

Hi BitFlippingMuckraker

Good vid, linked it to the Chess Forum Thread 186231

Moves
13 Jul 20

@bitflippingmuckraker said
The Babson Task is my favorite chess puzzle of all time. I made a video that explains the puzzle and discusses the fascinating history of the problem. I thought some people here might enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDZlLw0ts3k

(If you haven’t heard of the Babson Task, you’re really missing out)
As a consummate patzer, I must say that I'm accustomed to my own humility in Chess.

But, that puzzle is humbling on all levels.
That such a position could ever be consciously contrived seems super-human. Pure genius.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
15 Jul 20

@wolfe63 said
As a consummate patzer, I must say that I'm accustomed to my own humility in Chess.

But, that puzzle is humbling on all levels.
That such a position could ever be consciously contrived seems super-human. Pure genius.

Thanks for the enlightenment.
It took years before anyone managed it. I recall a prior thread about this.