Football just lost me

Football just lost me

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
142d

I used to like watching NCAA and NFL Football - - No More! The last few years have seen a slow but steady rise in the amount of airtime spent on ads. I understand ad revenue is important, but this has gotten out of hand. 1 NFL game I watched recently had fully 40% of the airtime on ads for everything from cars to insurance to armpit spray (I very much want to take a machine gun to Mr. Yellow insurance guy and his stupid bird!) From now on its 10 min. a week to check the scores on the internet and the rest of football can go and jump in a lake! 😕

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
142d

@mchill said
I used to like watching NCAA and NFL Football - - No More! The last few years have seen a slow but steady rise in the amount of airtime spent on ads. I understand ad revenue is important, but this has gotten out of hand. 1 NFL game I watched recently had fully 40% of the airtime on ads for everything from cars to insurance to armpit spray (I very much want to take a machine gu ...[text shortened]... in. a week to check the scores on the internet and the rest of football can go and jump in a lake! 😕
When I was following Fantasy Football, I got a sub to NFL: Red Zone, and they covered just the highlights, mainly the scoring plays, even for games that were not broadcast. I can't say there's fewer commercials, but it doesn't seem as intrusive because the coverage of each game is minimal, especially if it was a low-score game.

Moves
141d

@suzianne said
When I was following Fantasy Football, I got a sub to NFL: Red Zone, and they covered just the highlights, mainly the scoring plays, even for games that were not broadcast. I can't say there's fewer commercials, but it doesn't seem as intrusive because the coverage of each game is minimal, especially if it was a low-score game.
FYI, you still have a dead team going in the RHP fantasy football, maybe next year either play or remove your team?

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
140d

@mchill said
I used to like watching NCAA and NFL Football - - No More! The last few years have seen a slow but steady rise in the amount of airtime spent on ads. I understand ad revenue is important, but this has gotten out of hand. 1 NFL game I watched recently had fully 40% of the airtime on ads for everything from cars to insurance to armpit spray (I very much want to take a machine gu ...[text shortened]... in. a week to check the scores on the internet and the rest of football can go and jump in a lake! 😕
I sometimes watch baseball when it is broadcast in the UK.
I just record it and fast forward the adverts

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
111d

I went to watch a football game and ended up watching a soccer game instead. I went to a fight and hockey game broke out. Life is funny sometimes.

-VR

greatest site

or just a tribute

Moves
111d

greatest site

or just a tribute

Moves
111d

@Very-Rusty baseball or cricket

mlb62

Moves
99d

@mchill
very good. I gave up professional sports years ago... Especially the STUPID BOWL...

Moves
76d

@mchill said
It's not football that's lost you, it's commercial television.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
65d

@shallow-blue said
It's not football that's lost you, it's commercial television.
...and maybe the business that has been made from football...

Moves
55d

@ponderable said
Same thing, really.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
53d

@ponderable said
Business takes precedent over everything including what is laughingly called "sport" in the modern era.
Read just this morning that if Man Utd do not qualify for some European league(can't remember which one) their kit sponsors will reduce their sponsorship by ten million pounds.
Is it any surprise that teams cheat on the pitch to try to secure a favourable result?

S

Moves
12d

Same thing everywhere

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12d

@a-unique-nickname said
FYI, you still have a dead team going in the RHP fantasy football, maybe next year either play or remove your team?
Perhaps the manager, you know, the guy running the game, could remove my team?

Shocked it hasn't happened already.