1. Joined
    15 Aug '12
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 04:463 edits
    I have a friend who has just within the past couple months picked up chess. He's learning. But this was a game he played this week. He was outplayed the entire game, but I was very pleased to see how he wrapped it up!

He played black.

I slapped him on the back for that one. His opponent was highly frustrated. With Rh1+ I knew he saw what he was doing. So in response to some players on here who consider playing on in a hopeless position bad sportsmanship (per some other threads on here) this is a case in point of a poor performance being salvaged.
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 12:05
    Originally posted by King Tiger
    I have a friend who has just within the past couple months picked up chess. He's learning. But this was a game he played this week. He was outplayed the entire game, but I was very pleased to see how he wrapped it up!

He played black.

[pgn] 1. d4 Nf6 2. h3 g6 3. Bf4 Bg7 4. e3 d6 5. c3 0-0 6. Nf3 Nh5 7. Bh2 Bf5 8. Bd3 Bxd3 9. Qxd3 e5 10. d5 Re8 11. ...[text shortened]... p (per some other threads on here) this is a case in point of a poor performance being salvaged.
    Up until the blunder of the knight on b3 I thought black played really well. To be playing like this after a couple of months is impressive.
  3. e4
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 14:22
    Yeah Black was doing fine. 10...f5 or 10...Nd7-Nc5 etc would have given
    him a perfect set up.

Pity about move 20 when he dropped the Knight. He had 20...Nd4 there
    again with a good game.

White must have missed a handful of forced mates but was waiting for
    mate in one to appear on the board.

Good. All you need do is to tell him that chess giveth and chess taketh away.
    There will come a time in the future when he will draw a game he should have won.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 16:44
    Originally posted by King Tiger

He played black.

[b]deleted pgn as it won't come up

I slapped him on the back for that one. His opponent was highly frustrat ...[text shortened]... p (per some other threads on here) this is a case in point of a poor performance being salvaged.[/b]
    Thanks for saying which side he was, some people do forget that. I had a game recently where someone carried on right to the bitter end. It wasn't a problem as he had been making one move a day consistently and carried on at that rate - it's when they have an awful position in correspondence games and suddenly slow down from multiple moves a day to one move a week that it's poor form. I'm guessing that game was over the board, so the clock prevents excessive dragging out of the game.

When I resign it is to save myself the pain of playing on in a position that is hopeless. In over the board games, if it's as bad as all that, I wait until the time control to resign. I think it's the right balance.
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '12
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 16:49
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Up until the blunder of the knight on b3 I thought black played really well. To be playing like this after a couple of months is impressive.
    Jeremy, the friend, shows good promise of being a pretty decent chess player-he's been playing I think since November. I was watching the game and was pleased up until the knight blunder. I'll pass that on to him though-and that I posted his game. I've mentioned RHP to him-not sure he is actually interested in joining but we'll see.
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    02 Mar '15 18:59
    With his raw talent and your guidance I'm sure he'll do great.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Mar '15 14:42
    Fine game for a beginner. He was a bit weak spotting his opponent's knight moves; not surprising for a beginner, especially if he was mis-taught that knights move in an "L" shape. Teach him that they move in a circle.

8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    04 Mar '15 06:35
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Fine game for a beginner. He was a bit weak spotting his opponent's knight moves; not surprising for a beginner, especially if he was mis-taught that knights move in an "L" shape. Teach him that they move in a circle.

[fen]8/2p1p3/1p3p2/3N4/1p3p2/2p1p3/8/8[/fen]
    Hexagonal

And they hop, hop hop hop 😕
    Always alternating colors and very much center hungry.

I like the hop hop hop hop part

hop hop hop hop hop
    (Knight's tour)
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Mar '15 12:52
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Hexagonal
    Octagonal.
  10. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    05 Mar '15 20:40
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Octagonal.
    LOL
    I meant octagonal, thanks pal.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 14:14
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    LOL
    I meant octagonal, thanks pal.
    You get two extra hops for free!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree