1. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 13:06
    There are many verses that would sum up how we should live, or how we should relate to God.

Some would chose the Great Commandment (Love the Lord .... and love your neighbour) and some might prefer John 3, 16.

I for one quite like Micah 6:8, which really puts it in a nutshell:
    He has shown you, o man, what is good, and what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God?

If we lived by this maxim, most of the current threads would sort of lose their point... Messing around with peripherals at best!
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 13:39
    Originally posted by CalJust
    There are many verses that would sum up how we should live, or how we should relate to God.

Some would chose the Great Commandment (Love the Lord .... and love your neighbour) and some might prefer John 3, 16.

I for one quite like Micah 6:8, which really puts it in a nutshell: [quote] He has shown you, o man, what is good, and what does the Lord requir ...[text shortened]... f the current threads would sort of lose their point... Messing around with peripherals at best!
    Very nice verse and also conforms to what Christ and the Apostles said.

The reason for all the peripherals is that most Christians believe that nothing is required of anyone except to have faith, and living by the maxim you quoted is automatic once you are saved.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jul '14 20:29
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Very nice verse and also conforms to what Christ and the Apostles said.

The reason for all the peripherals is that most Christians believe that nothing is required of anyone except to have faith, and living by the maxim you quoted is automatic once you are saved.
    As are works. Works are a consequence of walking in Jesus. They are not the yardstick for salvation. No, the "reason" for all the peripherals is those "Christians" who think they know better than others always want to tell others how they should act, and love to stand over them with their "holier-than-thou" attitude and tell them smugly that they are just not doing it right and deserve to rot in hell.

These are the "Christians" Jesus says He will tell them "depart from me, ye that work iniquity."
  4. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    20 Jul '14 07:131 edit
    In this thread I really do not want to get into the "works vs faith" debate, nor into OSAS.

All that I want to point out is that this behaviour, as succinctly put in this verse, is attractive to everybody out there as well as to God.

The old proverb: [i]You attract more flies with honey than vinegar[i] is also appropriate. How many "flies" has the Fundamentalist "vinegar" on this site attracted so far?

In the Book of Acts the Christians were held in high esteem, even by their opponents, who could not fault their behaviour and attitude.

Would that it were still so...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree