1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 02:121 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby on another thread
    [Thumbs down express disapproval] as well as personal dislike of being threatened and subliminal hatred as well as cowardice in lieu of reply.

"... thumbs up": likes as with Facebook; "thumbs down": kneejerk emotional reactions sans rational thought.

I don't use Thumbs Down myself [although I may have given a couple to Dasa when he was advocating genocide for Muslims about three years back]. I occasionally give a post a Thumbs Up if I think it was well written.

In the context of this forum's community [as opposed to Clans, Debate, General etc.], to what extent do posters here think a Thumb Down represents:

dislike of being threatened

subliminal hatred

cowardice

knee jerk emotional reaction

something done without rational thought

What do any of you Deployers Of Thumbs Down out there make of these assertions?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 02:28
    Maybe Grampy Bobby would like to expand on his theory about the meanings or causes of Thumbs Down?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 02:402 edits
    I usually go for the thumbs down because what most here don't realize is that in ancient Rome thumbs down really meant thumbs up and vice versa.

Thanks everyone for all the unknowing support over the years. 😵

In fact, I even provided you with a couple FMF. Kudos!!
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 02:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    [Thumbs down express disapproval] as well as personal dislike of being threatened and subliminal hatred as well as cowardice in lieu of reply.

"... thumbs up": likes as with Facebook; "thumbs down": kneejerk emotional reactions sans rational thought.

I don't use Thumbs Down myself [although I ...[text shortened]... l thought[/b]

What do any of you Deployers Of Thumbs Down out there make of these assertions?[/b]
    Originally posted by FMF
    [bump for Grampy Bobby]

I have never given any post a thumbs down. I occasionally give a post a thumbs up. I take a tiny bit of [until now secret] pride when I give a thumbs up to a post that expresses something that I disagree with but does so very well or for its entertainment value.

Taking a look at your posts in this forum and the General Forum, *{not "In the context of this forum's community [as opposed to Clans, Debate, General etc.]"}* I'd say there may be quite a lot of people who actively dislike you and who often don't like your posts, and so you get quite a few thumbs down as a result of this, I reckon. A thumbs down is a signal of disapproval, right?

What do you think "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" actually represent?

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby Thread 158417 (Page 3)
    As a general observation *{not "assertions"}* since July, 2007:

"... disapproval" as well as personal dislike of being threatened and subliminal hatred as well as cowardice in lieu of reply.

> Please note *{inaccurate premise text insertions}*. Thanks.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 02:52
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [...]Originally posted by Grampy Bobby[/i] Thread 158417 (Page 3)
    As a [b]general observation *{not "assertions"}* since July, 2007:
    [...] > Please note *{inaccurate premise text insertions}*. Thanks.[/b]
    If you claim to have observed something and then air it in public as your opinion regarding what you see as being the truth of a matter, then it is an assertion, pure and simple. I don't think my choice of vocabulary is inaccurate at all.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 03:35
    Originally posted by whodey
    I usually go for the thumbs down because what most here don't realize is that in ancient Rome thumbs down really meant thumbs up and vice versa.

Thanks everyone for all the unknowing support over the years. 😵

In fact, I even provided you with a couple FMF. Kudos!!
    In ancient Rome they used to conduct business while having
    a communal squat ... but presumably you don't do that?

And I think most people know the thumbs down story! 😴
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 05:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    [b][Thumbs down express disapproval] as well as personal dislike of being threatened and subliminal hatred as well as cowardice in lieu of reply.

I don't use Thumbs Down myself [although ...[text shortened]... l thought[/b]

What do any of you Deployers Of Thumbs Down out there make of these assertions?[/b]
    I wish they gave the names of the thumbers. Wouldn't that be interesting!
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 05:54
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    In cases where the thumbs down are from people posting in the thread in question then that would certainly undermine Grampy Bobby's assertion that Thumbs Down can constitute "cowardice in lieu of reply".
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 06:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    In cases where the thumbs down are from people posting in the thread in question then that would certainly undermine Grampy Bobby's assertion that Thumbs Down can constitute "cowardice in lieu of reply".
    Gah, GB long ago embraced his status as the King of the Thumbed Down Post. It's a twisted form of attention-whoring. I don't believe any of that rubbish about 'cowardice'.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 06:131 edit
    I don't believe any of that rubbish about 'cowardice'.
    So with Grampy Bobby, you reckon the "cowardice" smear is all about "personality cult and personal attack" on his part? If so, that would be rather 'ironic' in view of what he posted on the "Which Topics Stimulate The Most Interest?" thread: Grampy Bobby: "Many online public forums have become preoccupied with personality cult and personal attack." One wonders why he would want to cast his detractors as 'cowardly' if he is genuinely against "personal attacks".
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 06:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    So with Grampy Bobby, you reckon the "cowardice" smear is all about "personality cult and personal attack" on his part? If so, that would be rather 'ironic' in view of what he posted on the "Which Topics Stimulate The Most Interest?" thread: Grampy Bobby: [b]"Many online public forums have become preoccupied with personality cult and personal attack." One wo ...[text shortened]... e would want to cast his detractors as 'cowardly' if he is genuinely against "personal attacks".[/b]
    It's all about the bizarro-personality cult centered on him. He takes pride in being loathed. Kind of like a 'heel' character in pro wrestling. The worst reaction is no reaction.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 06:31
    In some cases, someone has already said all that needs to be said, and someone else wants to show approval without adding any dross to it. For this, a thumbs up is appropriate.

In other cases, someone has so utterly and obviously put his foot in his mouth, that it deserves only a silent gesture in reply. For this, thumbs down is appropriate.

"Whereof we cannot speak, thereof we must be silent." Wittgenstein
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 06:411 edit
    Originally posted by moonbus
    In some cases, someone has already said all that needs to be said, and someone else wants to show approval without adding any dross to it. For this, a thumbs up is appropriate.

In other cases, someone has so utterly and obviously put his foot in his mouth, that it deserves only a silent gesture in reply. For this, thumbs down is appropriate.

"Whereof we cannot speak, thereof we must be silent." Wittgenstein
    Well reasoned impersonal conclusions, moonbus: Thumbs Up. Also, like the quotation. Thanks.

Postscript: Still "wondering whether there is a dog"?
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 06:58
    Comments on the topic from another site public forum: Thread 156975
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Mar '14 07:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    something done without rational thought

What do any of you Deployers Of Thumbs Down out there make of these assertions?
    That last one just needs a little adjustment then I'll accept it:
    Something done because the post in question is not worthy of rational thought.
    I most often give a thumbs down because the post is so bad its just not worth the time to reply to it.
    I most often give a thumbs up because I agree with the sentiments and saying so in a post seems unnecessary clutter for the thread.
    I will occasionally give a thumbs up because a post is just so good it deserves lots of thumbs up.
    I am however not a heavy user of either button.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree