Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
www.redhotpawn.com - Play Online Chess

Forgot it?

Only Chess Forum

Chess players told to cover their cleavage

Original post by Standard member moon1969, 23 Mar '12 13:58
  1. Houston, Texas
    Moves : 14347
    The European Women’s Individual Chess Championship being held in Turkey has new rules that include banning cleavage from the competition.

According to MarySue.com, the organizers are calling a halt to low necklines because of crude comments from the audience.

According to the new rules, women chess players in the tournament may only leave two buttons open on their blouse.

“I heard many comments from spectators and coaches,” Sava Stoisavljevic, the European Chess Union General Secretary, told Chessbase News. “There is dress code in many different sports, and we decided to establish our rules as well.”

… Players who are in violation of the new rules will receive several verbal and written warnings before being forced to leave the competition if they still refuse to comply. Stoisavljevis said they had noticed a lot of improper clothing during tournaments and decided something needed to be done.

The New York Times elaborates:

Headgear, except for religious reasons, is not allowed. Players must be “free of body odor.” Clothing should be free of holes and have “a pulled-together, harmonious, complete look.” And only jewelry “coordinated to the outfit may be worn.”

One would assume lipstick is encouraged given their banner [which depicts a rook lipstick dispenser].

http://blog.chron.com/hottopics/2012/03/chess-players-told-to-cover-their-cleavage/
  2. Joined : 21 Jan '12
    Moves : 3516
    “free of body odor.”

do they mean no perfume?or bathe the day you play (prior to the game)?
  3. Houston, Texas
    Originally posted by Wilfriedva
    “free of body odor.”

do they mean no perfume?or bathe the day you play (prior to the game)?
    I thought they meant body odor (not perfume). After all, they are primarily Europeans.
  4. Joined : 21 Jan '12
    so my smelly feet won't win me any more games

yes,am guilty of being european
  5. Houston, Texas
    so my smelly feet won't win me any more games

yes,am guilty of being european
    I was just kidding.
  6. Joined : 21 Jan '12
    i wasn't
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves : 2120
    Originally posted by moon1969
    The European Women’s Individual Chess Championship being held in Turkey has new rules that include banning cleavage from the competition.

According to MarySue.com, the organizers are calling a halt to low necklines because of crude comments from the audience.

According to the new rules, women chess players in the tournament may only leave two ...[text shortened]... .

http://blog.chron.com/hottopics/2012/03/chess-players-told-to-cover-their-cleavage/
    This story was reported about two weeks ago by newspapers such as the
    'New York Times' and the 'Daily Mail' (if that tabloid may called a 'newspaper'.
    The 'Daily Mail' has a photo of IM Jovanka Houska 'showing off her enviable
    figure', but its caption incorrectly gives her age as '24' (she was born in 1980).

In the 1998 championship of South Australia, Robert Cowley (born in 1948)
    excused his defeat (4-2) to Ngan Phan-Koshnitsky (born in 1974) by claiming
    that he lost because he was too distracted by her cleavage. In response, she
    denied that she had intended to distract him and accused him of finding it too
    painful to accept losing to a much younger woman. I don't know what their
    ratings were in 1998, but she has a higher peak FIDE rating than he does.
  8. Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves : 78383

According to the new rules, women chess players in the tournament may only leave two ...[text shortened]... .

Personally, I'd want to see photographic proof before I rush to judgment.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves : 2120
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    The 'Daily Mail' has a photo of IM Jovanka Houska 'showing off her enviable
    figure', but its caption incorrectly gives her age as '24' (she was born in 1980).
    Perhaps the photo of Jovanka Houska was taken when she was 24 years old.
    In that case, however, the 'Daily Mail' should have made it clear that the photo
    was not recent.
  10. Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves : 78383
    What a slippery slope we are being led down- any day now I expect to be forced to cover my bald spot. Oh the glare!
  11. Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves : 47385
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    What a slippery slope we are being led down- any day now I expect to be forced to cover my bald spot. Oh the glare!
    If you play poker you might want to do that.
  12. Joined : 18 Jan '07
    Moves : 3358
    Ridiculous and childish.

I'd like to see them enforce these rules in beach volleyball...

Richard
  13. Joined : 21 Jan '12
    Gave it some thought and decided I'd much rather lose to a nice cleavage than get blasted off the board in 15 moves by a snotty kid who has memorized half MCO.
  14. Zen master
    fifth element
    Moves : 31429
    Gave it some thought and decided I'd much rather lose to a nice cleavage than get blasted off the board in 15 moves by a snotty kid who has memorized half MCO.
    with nice cleavage, you could get into serious time trouble.
  15. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves : 875
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Ridiculous and childish.

I'd like to see them enforce these rules in beach volleyball...

Richard
    Interesting. That is in fact the very last rule I'd like to see them enforce in beach volleyball.

Each their own,

Q