1. Joined
    20 Oct '02
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 21:16
    Lets have some fun. A few months ago, during an act of total boredom, I challenged 50 or 60 players I had not played in 5-10 years. I was going to let them sit there forever, hoping one day for a bite. The first bite was a west coast lad named bbarr, who immediately deleted the challenge. Bennett never was big on east coast righties, I completely understood. The second rejection was from one BostonDave, who I had enjoyed a few jousts with in the past, I have no idea why he came to the site and cancelled out, I guess Dave had had enough. Then the third bite came. From one of the Ancient Ones. A lad going by the name of ~Tony~. Tony enthusiastically started a game with me, and we got to talking about what we had been doing with our lives. Apparently Tony has turned into quite the engineer, and, on the side, decided it was time to write a chess book, which he has now done. It is entitled The Killer Sicilian, Fighting e4 with the Kalishnikov.
    I cant begin to tell you how flattering it was for a lifelong strong B player to have a game with a chess author, also an author who is a real down to earth guy.
    So where is this going? Well, 10 years ago I ran a lottery here and gave away an RHP mug or a set of their coasters, cant remember which it was it was a long time ago. I have now decided to run a lottery on Tonys' book. The rules will be similar to last time. The contest begins today, and you pick a number between 1 and 10,000. The closest number to the designated number is the winner, and, with a provided address, I will mail you a copy of Tonys' masterpiece anywhere in the world you choose it to go. After you have read the book, I am certain you will recommend it to many of your chess friends and perhaps if you approach Tony nicely he will be happy to sell you an autographed copy of this fine work. Now you may ask, how do we know this will not be rigged? Cant guarantee that, except I am going to send Tony the number I have picked and he will be able to confirm it. If this makes you uneasy, don't play, but hey, it is free anyway. I have done this once before and can assure you the closest number was given the goods. Vote once, in this thread, before 8am EST 1 March all voting ends, And Tony, you have written a hell of a book, I am so glad to see you back in the RHP fold, I hope you stay a long while, and I hope you dont turn 12 shades of purple when you read this๐Ÿ™‚....1-8-15 to 3-1-15, 1-10000,,,good luck! Bob
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 21:551 edit
    Originally posted by Bobla45
    Lets have some fun. A few months ago, during an act of total boredom, I challenged 50 or 60 players I had not played in 5-10 years. I was going to let them sit there forever, hoping one day for a bite. The first bite was a west coast lad named bbarr, who immediately deleted the challenge. Bennett never was big on east coast righties, I completely understood. Th ...[text shortened]... you dont turn 12 shades of purple when you read this๐Ÿ™‚....1-8-15 to 3-1-15, 1-10000,,,good luck! Bob
    Great thread, Bob. Is this the Tony who joined RHP on September 28, 2001, and has now written and published:
    "The Killer Sicilian, Fighting e4 with the Kalishnikov"? http://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-player/!~tony~!

Quite sure it is... so my pick between 1 and 10,000 will be 2,008.
  3. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 22:11
    Of course I pick 666
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 22:14
    Hi Bob. I'm 5,555.
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '02
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 22:341 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Great thread, Bob. Is this the Tony who joined RHP on September 28, 2001, and has now written and published:
    "The Killer Sicilian, Fighting e4 with the Kalishnikov"? http://www.redhotpawn.com/chess-player/!~tony~!

Quite sure it is... so my pick between 1 and 10,000 will be 2,008.
    Sir, this is the very same Tony and I will always remember you as the very first participant in this lottery. Although politically incorrect, rooting for you from New Hampshire would be a considerable savings in shipping๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚ good luck and many thanks for participating!
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '02
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 22:36
    Thanks Andy!
  7. Joined
    20 Oct '02
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 22:45
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Of course I pick 666
    Only a Metallican would pick those digits๐Ÿ™‚
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 22:55
    Lets have some fun. A few months ago, during an act of total boredom, I challenged 50 or 60 players I had not played in 5-10 years. I was going to let them sit there forever, hoping one day for a bite. The first bite was a west coast lad named bbarr, who immediately deleted the challenge. Bennett never was big on east coast righties, I completely understood. ...[text shortened]... dont turn 12 shades of purple when you read this๐Ÿ™‚....1-8-15 to 3-1-15, 1-10000,,,good luck! Bob
    ok, I will choose 7467.

Just let me know when you want my address!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '02
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 22:58
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    ok, I will choose 7467.

Just let me know when you want my address!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Just the confidence you exude in that statement proves you are THE ONE to lead the most Alpha Clan at RHP...thank you for your guidance sir!
  10. SubscriberVise
    Skull Crusher
    In Battle
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 23:08
    Very cool, Bob and Tony. My number is 1019. Good luck to all!

Brian
  11. Standard memberontheclock
    Rakish Tenacity
    Crazytown
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 23:13
  12. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 23:16
    Lets have some fun. A few months ago, during an act of total boredom, I challenged 50 or 60 players I had not played in 5-10 years. I was going to let them sit there forever, hoping one day for a bite. The first bite was a west coast lad named bbarr, who immediately deleted the challenge. Bennett never was big on east coast righties, I completely understood. ...[text shortened]... dont turn 12 shades of purple when you read this๐Ÿ™‚....1-8-15 to 3-1-15, 1-10000,,,good luck! Bob
    It wasn't you! I didn't have time to play! I just sent another over.

My pick is 1536.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Jan '15 23:34
    Sir, this is the very same Tony and I will always remember you as the very first participant in this lottery. Although politically incorrect, rooting for you from New Hampshire would be a considerable savings in shipping๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚ good luck and many thanks for participating!
    You're welcome, NH. I appreciate your courage. How about an unrated conversational game when the smoke clears? ~MA
  14. SubscriberD4V
    Hard Spanker
    Verona, Italy
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 00:12
    Originally posted by ontheclock
    Hi pal, you almost did it! The number is 8728
  15. Subscribercarystover
    Play while you can!
    Moves
    09 Jan '15 01:53
    This is fun! 0049

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree