1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 May '15 10:44
    Anyone know how to get tree sap from a fir tree off a car? I parked my car where I usually do, under my neighbors tree, a huge fir tree. Last night it rained tree sap all over my car, looks like drops of water but it is sap. I don't think soap and water will do it. Anyone know what will get that stuff off without damaging the paint? The windshields are covered with it, at least a razor blade can scrape that off but not the paint.
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    20 May '15 11:041 edit
    I just checked a couple of hits on youtube for "removing tree sap from car", and it looks like what you need is some hand sanitizer or some rubbing alcohol, some rags, and some elbow grease.

Sounds like it will come right off. I wouldn't be surprised if you may need to do a wax job after that, but maybe not. It sounded like there was no damage to the finish. Probably doing this in a shady well ventilated spot would be smart.

I didn't spend too much time looking at some of the other hits so you may want to check google and youtube yourself and see what else they have out there.

Rubbing alcohol is very inexpensive but even hand sanitizer isn't all that costly either.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 May '15 11:37
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    I just checked a couple of hits on youtube for "removing tree sap from car", and it looks like what you need is some hand sanitizer or some rubbing alcohol, some rags, and some elbow grease.

Sounds like it will come right off. I wouldn't be surprised if you may need to do a wax job after that, but maybe not. It sounded like there was no damage to the f ...[text shortened]... re.

Rubbing alcohol is very inexpensive but even hand sanitizer isn't all that costly either.
    Thanks! I would not have thought about rubbing alcohol. We have Isopropal at work, I may be able to do the worse of it there.
  4. Standard memberMammy Blue
    Delicious Monster...
    Moves
    20 May '15 12:04
    I had the same problem, although with a pine tree. I just soaked the sap with clean water, and did a rubbing job with a soft cloth afterwards. Dunno if the sap is different to the fir tree's.
  5. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 May '15 12:13
    Originally posted by Mammy Blue
    I had the same problem, although with a pine tree. I just soaked the sap with clean water, and did a rubbing job with a soft cloth afterwards. Dunno if the sap is different to the fir tree's.
    Fir and pine sap is no fundamental difference, as long as the sap is fresh alcohol should do the trick.

Hoever if it is polymerized, the problem gets big.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 May '15 12:49
    Originally posted by Ponderable
    Fir and pine sap is no fundamental difference, as long as the sap is fresh alcohol should do the trick.

Hoever if it is polymerized, the problem gets big.
    How long do you think it takes to polymerize?
  7. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 May '15 13:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    How long do you think it takes to polymerize?
    depends on time, UV-radiation or catalysts, I would say: days.
  8. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    20 May '15 13:47
    The guy on this youtube link is talking about sap that has been on the car for 7 years and still coming off easily using hand sanitizer and a rag..

YouTube
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 May '15 14:12
    Originally posted by mwmiller
    The guy on this youtube link is talking about sap that has been on the car for 7 years and still coming off easily using hand sanitizer and a rag..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri-Hi_3QrHE
    Well, I tried Isopropanol and it did nothing. I used it on the windshield just in case it would hurt the paint but it didn't dissolve it at all. I might try ensolv, that is a good solvent but don't know if it effects paint. I will also try the hand sanitizer, see if that works.
    I wonder if goo gone would do it also? Just don't want to use products that effect the paint.
  10. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    20 May '15 14:15
    Anyone know how to get tree sap from a fir tree off a car? I parked my car where I usually do, under my neighbors tree, a huge fir tree. Last night it rained tree sap all over my car, looks like drops of water but it is sap. I don't think soap and water will do it. Anyone know what will get that stuff off without damaging the paint? The windshields are covered with it, at least a razor blade can scrape that off but not the paint.
    fir sap tends to burn well,
    i would choose to use fire...
    spread lots of fir branches, upon yer ride,
    then ignite the beautiful pyre...
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 May '15 14:59
    Originally posted by rookie54
    fir sap tends to burn well,
    i would choose to use fire...
    spread lots of fir branches, upon yer ride,
    then ignite the beautiful pyre...
    AND it would be quick🙂
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    20 May '15 16:22
    AND it would be quick🙂
    Just don't use the fire for cooking anything otherwise you'll get the taste of the sap.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree