A new moderation system.

A new moderation system.

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
30 Sep 04

To stop any future personal abuse of the moderators, I have implemented a new system for forum moderation.

If a post receives n alerts, it will be hidden.

Only subscribing members may alert posts, so this system cannot easily be abused.

If your post is hidden, then you have no individual moderator to blame – the forum is self-regulating, and if sufficient number of subscribing members’ believes your post is inappropriate, then that is that.

Admittedly, this system is experimental, and n maybe modified over time, but actual human intervention should be kept to a minimum.

If people alert posts continuously, and appear to be targeting the posts of one user for no good reason, they could find themselves the recipient of a forum ban, in much the same way as someone who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ

f

Boulder, CO

Moves
30 Sep 04

Originally posted by Russ
To stop any future personal abuse of the moderators, I have implemented a new system for forum moderation.

If a post receives [b]n
alerts, it will be hidden.

Only subscribing members may alert posts, so this system cannot easily be abused.

If your post is hidden, then you have no individual moderator to blame – the forum is self-regulating, and ...[text shortened]... in much the same way as someone who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ[/b]

Pure and utter genius.

-f

p
High Priest

The Volcano

Moves
30 Sep 04

Out of curiosity -- how many is n? (Not that you have any obligation to say)

T

Moves
30 Sep 04

You mean people will need to be resposible in what posts they alert? Gosh! Will we cope?
Fingers crossed that people finally manage to see the difference between a post being "offensive" and those that are "something they do not agree with".
I'm not confident, but why not try it on: you never learn without asking, or so it is said.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
30 Sep 04

n is n, because I do not want to say what n is. πŸ˜‰

(For the time being, at least.)

-Russ

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
30 Sep 04
1 edit

If a post receives [b]n

Only subscribing members may alert posts, so this system cannot easily b ...[text shortened]... ne who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ[/b]
With all due respect, is there any reason for withholding what the value of n is?

PS I didn't see your above post, but I'd still appreciate an answer if you don't mind.

c
Semi-Sensitive Uncut

Inside

Moves
30 Sep 04
1 edit

If a post receives [b]n

Only subscribing members may alert posts, so this system cannot easily b ...[text shortened]... ne who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ[/b]
So for example a clan with n members can decide upon the fate of a post if they act as a team?
Great Idea Einstein
πŸ™‚
*Edit*
This sounds like the worst type of " I wash my hands of responsibility " since the 13+

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
30 Sep 04

Originally posted by claretnblue
So for example a clan with n members can decide upon the fate of a post if they act as a team?
Great Idea Einstein
πŸ™‚
sigh...good grief. Is this really productive!?

TheSkipper

c
Semi-Sensitive Uncut

Inside

Moves
30 Sep 04

Originally posted by TheSkipper
sigh...good grief. Is this really productive!?

TheSkipper
My apologies - I meant to write " If Russ has an idea it must be wonderful "
πŸ™‚

D

Moves
30 Sep 04

Originally posted by no1marauder
With all due respect, is there any reason for withholding what the value of n is?

PS I didn't see your above post, but I'd still appreciate an answer if you don't mind.

I'd actually rather "n" remain undisclosed. I've only been a member for a year, but during that time it's become apparent to me that there are several groups of members that like to function as a unit within the forums.

If Russ were to reveal the value of "n" it would be a relatively simple matter for these groups to exert their own perspective on forum moderation by using group attacks on people and/or topics they don't like.

Russ, I think your idea is a good one, but it will be an important (and I believe you'll find, very challenging) task to track who is alerting against who to try to exert their own version of censorship.

FNM

Moves
30 Sep 04

Originally posted by claretnblue
My apologies - I meant to write " If Russ has an idea it must be wonderful "
πŸ™‚
Claretnblue,

Be Quiet.

Regardes, FNM πŸ˜€

The RudeΒ©

who knows?

Moves
30 Sep 04

Ha,I had foreseen this system in Forum Wars,I'm a prophet........πŸ˜‰

d

Moves
30 Sep 04

If a post receives [b]n

If your post is hidden, then you have no individual moderator to blame – the forum is self-regulating, and ...[text shortened]... in much the same way as someone who posts inappropriate material continuously will be.

-Russ[/b]
sounds reasonable to me...

The RudeΒ©

who knows?

Moves
30 Sep 04
1 edit

Oooooooiii,this system is by far the most abusable by the so called wolves.

s

ruislipwoods

Moves
30 Sep 04

ONE
I will put an alert on this.
If the next person puts TWO and an alert then we should find out what N is.

Russ this was a good callange but I fine chess more of a challange.