1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 10:033 edits
    The vote is now up - [vid]16[/vid].

The names are listed in the order in which they volunteered.

-Russ

edit : saffa73 was added shortly after the vote was created.
    edit 2 : Phlabibit added.
  2. Joined
    02 Sep '04
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 10:22
    Hello applicants,

do you mind to put down a few lines about yourself and your motives and qualifications to take up this post?!

I must admit that about half of the applicants are well known and outspoken on the forums as for others just checking their profile is not enough for me to decide weather or not they are suitable for the gamemmod team.

Thanks for your efforts.

Dooser2004
  3. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 10:48
    Originally posted by dooser2004
    Hello applicants,

do you mind to put down a few lines about yourself and your motives and qualifications to take up this post?!

I must admit that about half of the applicants are well known and outspoken on the forums as for others just checking their profile is not enough for me to decide weather or not they are suitable for the gamemmod team.

Thanks for your efforts.

Dooser2004
    I think I`m one of these "well known and outspoken on the forums" applicant, but if anyone has particular questions I`m ready to answer.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 11:491 edit
    Can't we keep all of the volunteers and create 2 independent mod teams?

That would also help if there was suspicion about a single game mod, as the other team could check him as usual without any conflict of interest.

Also, this could mean more investigations and therefore faster processing on average.

Edit - Please go to Thread 89512 if you have any comments about this suggestion.
  5. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 12:32
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I would just keep them all. That's it.
  6. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 13:17
    Originally posted by Palynka

That would also help if there was suspicion about a single game mod, as the other team could check him as usual without any conflict of interest.

Also, this could mean more investigations and therefore faster processing on average.

Edit - Please go to Thread 89512 if you have any comments about this suggestion.
    2 teams is a bad idea, the team needs to know what everyone is doing.

Gate and Tebb will both make the team with luck. They work great together, but would probably end up on separate teams since they are so experienced. If you have 2 teams, one will always be better suited than the other.

Also, Gate explained his problems with this idea and they are similar to mine:

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Would it not be simpler if a suspect or connected moderator is recused, and the case investigated and deliberated upon by the remaining moderators?

In the case of two teams, unless carefully coordinated from above (which is unlikely), you could get significant duplication of effort if suspects are reported to more than one team. Wouldn't the evidence gathered by one team be beneficial to the other? The idea just seems a little unweildly, inefficient and impractical.

I often get a PM from a user to add a name. If I add a name to team 2, team 1 may already be working it. Sure we could contact each other and ask, but all the mods working together is the best. Time dictates who to work on, and who to wait on. 2 teams doing this is not an advantage.

P-
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 13:28
    Originally posted by dooser2004
    Hello applicants,

Thanks for your efforts.

Dooser2004
    Dooser,

My basic function as a game mod last time was limited running of batches, reviewing results posted, answering PM messages, and it helps me as a forum mod when people get into an uproar as a player is removed or is under suspicion.

I also came up with ideas for a few of the tools the game mods used last time around, and am sure to come up with new ideas for us to consider. Same goes for Forum moderation, I'm very active there and consider myself a problem solver when a new tool or idea is needed to keep the forums going smooth and happy for most users on either side of any dispute.

Being in both positions for some time now has given me the ear of Russ who I can contact and usually get a quick response. I will in no way be as powerful a number cruncher or have the extensive understanding of results like the higher rated chess players should, but I believe myself a valuable asset.

P-
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 14:16
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    2 teams is a bad idea, the team needs to know what everyone is doing.

Gate and Tebb will both make the team with luck. They work great together, but would probably end up on separate teams since they are so experienced. If you have 2 teams, one will always be better suited than the other.

Also, Gate explained his problems with this idea and they ar ...[text shortened]... ime dictates who to work on, and who to wait on. 2 teams doing this is not an advantage.

P-
    I'll answer this in Thread 89512.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 15:51
    And what a surprise, open only to subscribers. 😞

Why do you people allow this rip-off?
  10. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 16:15
    I think this type of personality contest is counter productive.
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 16:18
    Originally posted by Lenzar

What ? Who is ripping of whom ?
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 16:36
    Originally posted by Lenzar

Lanzar... you could make 100 names, or someone could make 200 names and jack the vote up.

That is why you pay to play in votes.

P-
  13. Joined
    20 Apr '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 16:37
    My opinion of this whole process of idol and cult of worship forum vote is as stupid as it gets. Lets let the loudest forum voices influence the core of what is a chess site! This is allowing the site to lose it's purpose. If there was any sense to this whole process it would be done transparent to the forums with no mod team mentioned. Having a most popular vote proves absoulely nothing other then the owners have no direction no spine and no vision!!
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 16:57
    Originally posted by Katonah
    My opinion of this whole process of idol and cult of worship forum vote is as stupid as it gets. Lets let the loudest forum voices influence the core of what is a chess site! This is allowing the site to lose it's purpose. If there was any sense to this whole process it would be done transparent to the forums with no mod team mentioned. Having a most popular vote proves absoulely nothing other then the owners have no direction no spine and no vision!!
    Just like last time, the vote is only something for the admins to consider. Perhaps they are just saying, "We are considering this, but need to think. Please help us think."

The results of the vote may be very different than the team chosen when all is said and done.

Elected officials are also a popularity contest, only those results are put into action (in most instances.)

P-
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Mar '08 17:092 edits
    Originally posted by Katonah
    There are two names which very few would dispute are more than capable, and I would be surprised not to see those two names when the voting is done. So it only comes down to one position that is actually available in my very humble opinion.
    I had thought they might put more than 3 on the team though, it seems like quite a load of work for 3 men to look after on a site as big as this with all the members...Anyone aware of how many members we have on this site? I am sure it is massive !

P.S. I assume the final decision regardless of vote will be decided by the Site Owner. Keep in mind this is an assumption on my part, I don't know this as fact! I just checked in at the voting booth and yes it is indeed the Site Owners Decision...The Vote is to see what the Membership wants and would influence the decision.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree