Incomplete game history issue

Incomplete game history issue

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
31 Jan 08
2 edits

Originally posted by Nemesio
If in a chess tournament, suddenly a fire breaks out in the building and everyone has to
evacuate, should the chess clocks remain on? Of course not.

This is a [b]correspondence
chess site, which means I should be able to submit my moves whenever
I want. The old ones used to work by email; this one has provided the sorts of features that
remove ...[text shortened]... is just to give 24-48 hours timeout/timebank suspension. I hope you understand now.

Nemesio[/b]
If in a chess tournament, suddenly a fire breaks out in the building and everyone has to
evacuate, should the chess clocks remain on? Of course not.

I said the clocks should stop.

This is a correspondence chess site, which means I should be able to submit my moves whenever
I want

As long as you stay within the time limit you and your opponent agreed upon before the start of the game.

Consequently, if I arrive at the site during the only period of my day (say, during my lunch break
at work) to find that I am unable to submit my move, I am being penalized unfairly. That is,
I knew I needed to make a move before a certain time frame, I arrived to make my move,
and wasdenied the possibility. I met my obligation, the site did not meet its obligation.

Guess you better have longer time out time banks next time on your games if your going to wait until the last minute to submit your moves on certain games.
This is why it is just to give 24-48 hours timeout/timebank suspension.
This is your opinion. Mine is your better keep checking to see if the site has come back online if you've been holding off on making your moves on certain games for long periods of time. And I think it's just that I or anyone should still be able to claim a timeout when the clock expires and not be penalized from claiming one longer than what was agreed upon because the site went down.. I hope you understand now.

David

I'm done talking or explaining on this subject. My point is clear. And it won't change.

Moves
31 Jan 08

Originally posted by KingDavid403
I'm done talking or explaining on this subject. My point is clear. And it won't change.
Personally i am enjoying your perspective - although i disagree with it.

I think you are off on one point that you continually bring up - that somehow YOU are being penalized if they are given 24/48 more hours. Really, the one who loses the game due to a timeout is penalized. I don't think comparing a loss (the penalty to the one timed out) to you having to wait a few hours (your so called penalty) is a fair assessment of the situation. I think, when i doubt, it makes sense to err on the side of the person in jeopardy of timing out.

after all this is chess, a game, to be played.

i'm not trying to persuade you to change your opinion, i'm just trying to be clear and vocal for the "other side"

m
Moo

UK

Moves
31 Jan 08

Originally posted by inwerds
Personally i am enjoying your perspective - although i disagree with it.

I think you are off on one point that you continually bring up - that somehow YOU are being penalized if they are given 24/48 more hours. Really, the one who loses the game due to a timeout is penalized. I don't think comparing a loss (the penalty to the one timed out) to you havi ...[text shortened]... uade you to change your opinion, i'm just trying to be clear and vocal for the "other side"
Indeed.

Even more so if it was a short-timeout game that happened to be in progress. The site is down when that player would normally go on, and when they return the next day they've been timed out? That would be hugely unfair.

I don't think it's any great hardship to wait a small amount of time after site outages before being able to take a skull. It's not as if site outages are a regular occurance.

F

Moves
31 Jan 08

Um, it seems to be back, my games do not have histories and have error messages. Will I lose the data despite my opponents knowing my moves?

f

Moves
31 Jan 08

Why are you all so sad about time outs. some of us just like a game of chess. Are you ome of those people who check their e mails every two minutes just because you might miss something.

Fogie.

Chessaholics!!

Sunny California

Moves
31 Jan 08

I lost 2 important games because of the outage not fear!!!!!!!!!!!! u should have give time bank to all the games!

Moves
31 Jan 08

You say this loss of data shouldn't affect current games then can some one please explain why white manage to have two goes on the trot in this game.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=4284893

Hopefully the link will work, if so have a look at moves 43 onwards.

S

New York

Moves
31 Jan 08

Originally posted by Talem16
I lost 2 important games because of the outage not fear!!!!!!!!!!!! u should have give time bank to all the games!
I agree, this is throwing me off, I am afraid to make a move. I now have to resign a game because a piece of mine is missing which was never captured. This sucks!

A
D_U_N_E

Arrakis

Moves
31 Jan 08

Originally posted by SilentSpic
I agree, this is throwing me off, I am afraid to make a move. I now have to resign a game because a piece of mine is missing which was never captured. This sucks!
From what I've seen in my own games, the games are only corrupt if I use the analysis feature to look at them. Maybe other people have corrupt games w/o using that feature, but none of mine are.

I want to applaude the RHP staff for their efforts to fix the problem and I believe people should realize that things can and do go wrong at times.

Arrakis

N

The sky

Moves
31 Jan 08

Originally posted by Arrakis
From what I've seen in my own games, the games are only corrupt if I use the analysis feature to look at them.
Same here. Only the move history is corrupt; the reached position is shown correctly. If I open the analysis board, it also shows the correct current position, so I can still use the analysis board normally as long as I don't go back in the history.

I am not sure if the corrupted move history might affect conditional moves in some way, so I won't use that feature for any corrupt games. But that feature is still in beta anyway and thus not available to most players. I wouldn't worry about normal moves.

F

Moves
31 Jan 08
1 edit

Seems that everything is working from now on. Only moves during the 'glitch period' are gone. Gone from history and PGNs.

I really miss the PGNs from the corrupted games though. Any possibility to bring them in order again would be much appreciated. Even PGNs from other games than my own.

F

Moves
31 Jan 08

I hope that the moves will be kept though, I won a piece and don't really want to give it back.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
31 Jan 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Nordlys
Same here. Only the move history is corrupt; the reached position is shown correctly. If I open the analysis board, it also shows the correct current position, so I can still use the analysis board normally as long as I don't go back in the history.

I am not sure if the corrupted move history might affect conditional moves in some way, so I won't use that ...[text shortened]... l in beta anyway and thus not available to most players. I wouldn't worry about normal moves.
Same here also.
I also find if I use the analyze board on a corrupt pgn game. It works fine going forward, but when I reset the pieces to go over it again, it's corrupt again, and I have to reopen the analyze board tool on the game all over again to get back to the original state of the game.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
31 Jan 08

Originally posted by SilentSpic
This is not the case.

The current game state for all games remains the same, before and after the problems.

If you review the game history, the error is there, not in the current game position.

-Russ

Reepy Rastardly Guy

Dustbin of history

Moves
31 Jan 08

Russ,

FYI..

I've noticed that a warning about missing moves has been added in red to the analyze board for some games. I've also noticed at least one game which does have moves missing, but does *not* have the warning. I'm not sure if it just got missed or if you are still in the process of identifying the effected games.

[gid]4512497[gid]

Missing moves are 7. Bc4xf7 .. Kxf7