1. Bucharest
    Moves
    21 Dec '23 14:571 edit
    What good practical drawing book do you recommend?

For an older beginner from an engineering like professional area. I could do a good realistic sketch of a locomotive from a photo with lots of painstaking effort. That is slow, fatiguing, and feels close to cheating the drawing art (I could do it faster and more precise with explicit measurements). I did some slow 3D models too.

I am mainly interested to draw nature to feel realistic and fairly accurate representation. Biology students must have had some related courses to get the essential skills relatively fast. Even astronomy was done with accurate hand drawings for a long time. Reliable accuracy of around half an hour on a 12 hour clock dial is fine. Proportions should be within 5% too.
  2. Bucharest
    Moves
    22 Dec '23 10:37
    I can't find drawing communities and resources of similar scale and quality as the chess communities and resources.

Thinking at an equivalent of the top recommended chess books for drawing. Like an equivalent of: "The Top 10 Chess Books Every Chess Player Should Read" https://www.chess.com/article/view/top-10-chess-books

Some of the top artists working at Disney or Pixar must have written good drawing books. Some of the people restoring old art must be scientific doctors of drawing and painting with well enough tuned hand strokes and feel too. Thinking at an equivalent of "My System" or of "Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess" for drawing.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 Feb '24 16:02
    @mihai said
    What good practical drawing book do you recommend?

For an older beginner from an engineering like professional area. I could do a good realistic sketch of a locomotive from a photo with lots of painstaking effort. That is slow, fatiguing, and feels close to cheating the drawing art (I could do it faster and more precise with explicit measurements). I did some slow 3D models ...[text shortened]... ccuracy of around half an hour on a 12 hour clock dial is fine. Proportions should be within 5% too.
    All I can suggest is to try an art supply store. Failing that Amazon.com has a good selection (see link below)

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=drawing+pads&crid=2MCBT1RTC0J0N&sprefix=drawing+pads%2Caps%2C158&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree