Guitaring Comparison.

Guitaring Comparison.

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
21 Jul 13

The Aranjuez concierto is known as one of the greatest and most difficult to play.

I have always considered John Williams to be the master of this piece, until I found a Youtube rendition by my favourite flamenco player, and living world master, Paco de Lucia.

I have watched both, and it seems clear to me that the Spanish blood clearly out rules William's rendition.

William's has to concentrate so much, as I see in the following videos, and De Lucia just rolls it out with ease.

Williams:

De Lucia: &list=PL6B2F98B7D4B0752C

Any thoughts, from those who have interest?

-m.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Jul 13

Originally posted by mikelom
The Aranjuez concierto is known as one of the greatest and most difficult to play.

I have always considered John Williams to be the master of this piece, until I found a Youtube rendition by my favourite flamenco player, and living world master, Paco de Lucia.

I have watched both, and it seems clear to me that the Spanish blood clearly out rules Willia ...[text shortened]... ch?v=LxpRVbhWlLI&list=PL6B2F98B7D4B0752C

Any thoughts, from those who have interest?

-m.
I always thought Williams was a great technician, probably the best in the world but he doesn't have the dynamic range of those I like better, like Ida Presti, Alexander Lagoya and Julian Bream. If you remember the Ida Presti Alexander Lagoya duo's of the 50's and then the Julian and John duplication of their work in the 60's or the 70's, forget exactly when but you could hear Julian's playing much more expressively then John's and neither one could hold a candle to the original.

And in this case, who can play the Aranjuez better than a grandmaster flamenco artist? It was MEANT for a flamenco player and Williams is all about precision over heart. I hear a bit more fingernail in Paco and more dynamics which of course is the hallmark of the great flamenco players.

BTW, how did you know the guitar on the piece I showed you was shyte? Could it have also just been the quality of the recording equipment or the mastery of the recorder?

RHP Member No.16

Moves
23 Jul 13
3 edits

Here's a nice presentation of aranjuez with Chet Baker and Paul Desmond.

I hope it doesn't wander too far off topic since the OP is about guitar comparison, but I really enjoy the concerto de aranjuez on almost any instrument. Of coarse guitar is at the top of the list!

<edit>
I just listened to this and unfortunately it sounds like it was chopped off about half way through. Sorry.

OK, I did some more looking and hopefully here is the whole thing rather than just the first half. I think the selection is actually from a Jim Hall album.