P. G. Wodehouse

P. G. Wodehouse

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N

Moves
25 Jul 13

Anyone a fan of his writing? I'm reading [i]Death at the Excelsior and other stories[\i], my first Wodehouse. It's good light and humourous reading with a few scattered, nicely perceptive but throwaway insights keeping the interest up. Apparently these stories are "darker" than his typical output, meaning (if that perturbs you) still several million miles and a train ride to southern Sweden away from Scandinavian crime fiction.

Moves
26 Jul 13

I'm a big Wodehouse fan and have read much of his work, though not the book you've mentioned (I've quickly ordered it online - so thanks for that!)

As for the rest of his stuff I'd recommend the Psmith books. Psmith has to be the funniest character ever put to print. Enjoy!

N

Moves
26 Jul 13
2 edits

Originally posted by neilarini
I'm a big Wodehouse fan and have read much of his work, though not the book you've mentioned (I've quickly ordered it online - so thanks for that!)

As for the rest of his stuff I'd recommend the Psmith books. Psmith has to be the funniest character ever put to print. Enjoy!
I will look out for Psmith 🙂. If its useful to you, I got Wodehouse's complete works (pub. Golgotha) from Apple's iBookstore for £2.99. I did check a couple of other eBook stores including Kindle and it wasn't available through them.

I never saw enough of Jeeves & Wooster on TV to become a devotee but I'm looking forward to reading those stories as they are so well-loved.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
28 Jul 13

Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
Anyone a fan of his writing? I'm reading [i]Death at the Excelsior and other stories[\i], my first Wodehouse. It's good light and humourous reading with a few scattered, nicely perceptive but throwaway insights keeping the interest up. Apparently these stories are "darker" than his typical output, meaning (if that perturbs you) still several million miles and a train ride to southern Sweden away from Scandinavian crime fiction.
I've read several by Wodehouse. 'Right Ho, Jeeves' is my all time favorite.

N

Moves
28 Jul 13

Originally posted by rwingett
I've read several by Wodehouse. 'Right Ho, Jeeves' is my all time favorite.
I finished "Death at the Excelsior and other stories" yesterday. Every time I felt like I might be about to get bored there was a pure genius comic plot twist that had me chuckling until the end. The two crime stories were the weakest, probably, but even they had a bit of magic to them.