1. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    23 Apr '24 18:29
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/04/23/immigration-jobs-economy/
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '24 18:47
    @Phranny
    Duh🙂 But they are just not rich or white enough for the Christian nationalists bent on turning America total white and they will just invent AI powered robots to pick fruit so SCREW those cursed immigrants and they can't even speak ENGLISH.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    24 Apr '24 17:21
    @phranny said
    Behind a paywall, no can do.

I can't speak for America, but where I live, the native population cannot supply the needs of the local economy. I'm not talking about back-breaking dumb labor (fruit pickers) either. In the medical industry here, fully half the doctors and nurses are non-natives. Universities simply cannot educate enough people. I suppose it is similar in many other countries.
  4. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    24 Apr '24 21:44
    @phranny said
    But we would have to get around this pesky problem. Libs never close their posts. The intent being to make everything look rosy, it would appear.. It is not rosy.
    I will prob start making my posts linky like Marauder. I don't blame you if you find them boring. Just attempting to round out issues, without my own opinions. We get enough of that. This post is a good start.

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/23/housing-crisis-migrant-immigrants-homeless
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '24 21:54
    @moonbus said
    Behind a paywall, no can do.

I can't speak for America, but where I live, the native population cannot supply the needs of the local economy. I'm not talking about back-breaking dumb labor (fruit pickers) either. In the medical industry here, fully half the doctors and nurses are non-natives. Universities simply cannot educate enough people. I suppose it is similar in many other countries.
    FYI - You can read a couple articles per month for free. Just sign in with your email.
  6. Joined
    09 Jan '22
    Moves
    24 Apr '24 21:57
    @phranny said
    yeah them migrants streaming across the border, they're filling all kinds of job positions.
    get real.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Apr '24 22:59
    @Cliff-Mashburn
    You mean those jobs they are paying taxes on and maybe union dues? How DARE they think they can pay taxes, we only want AMERICAN taxes.
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '24 23:17
    @phranny said
    slavery was good for the economy too
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Apr '24 23:27
    @Mott-The-Hoople
    And you fervently wish you had a dozen or so. So you could have a reason to wear your Ku Klux Klan robe and head cover.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 00:571 edit
    @cliff-mashburn said
    yeah them migrants streaming across the border, they're filling all kinds of job positions.
    get real.
    They're trimming and packaging our Mary Jane, doing construction work, picking fruit, manning kitchens, doing maid work...
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 02:01
    @mott-the-hoople said
    Yeah, the Civil War was just GREAT for the economy.

What a dumbass.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 02:57
    @cliff-mashburn said
    get real.
    What do you think they are doing?
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 08:56
    @wildgrass said
    FYI - You can read a couple articles per month for free. Just sign in with your email.
    I don't want 'them' to have my email. I don't like spreading my digital footprint all over the Internet. That's why I buy 'The Economist' at the local news agents.
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 09:00
    @mott-the-hoople said
    If you think it was, then I suggest you offer yourself into slavery, work for no wages until you can't anymore, then come back and tell us how you liked it. Oh, and don't forget to tell us what useful skills you learned along the way (harnessing an ox behind a plow, how to use a hoe and sharpen an axe, pulling bugs out of cotton balls, etc).
  15. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 10:45
    @moonbus said
    If you think it was, then I suggest you offer yourself into slavery, work for no wages until you can't anymore, then come back and tell us how you liked it. Oh, and don't forget to tell us what useful skills you learned along the way (harnessing an ox behind a plow, how to use a hoe and sharpen an axe, pulling bugs out of cotton balls, etc).
    why don’t you offer yourself as an illegal immigrant and work for below minimum wage, while American citizens are put out of a job?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree