1. Joined
    06 Jan '10
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 20:051 edit
    Arg.

My Avast! antivirus updated itself this morning, and has now decided that redhotpawn is nothing but malware, thus blocking me. I've been able to add it to the exclusion lists, but Avast! is still being ever so helpful by warning me with every page I visit on redhotpawn (along with the added advantage of a 3-4 second delay for each page load as it readies the warning).

Anyone else having this problem? How do I stop the warnings for redhotpawn, but not warnings from (supposedly) real malware?

If I figure it out, I'll post...

UPDATE: I just noticed that some of the banner ads for redhotpawn aren't showing up. Perhaps the code for the ads has been changed to something that Avast! doesn't like?
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 20:34
    change your crappy anti-virus software?
  3. Joined
    06 Jan '10
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 20:39
    LOL. Yeah, I've been thinking about it. Any suggestions?

Both McAfee and Norton are two I refuse to go back to. This is the first problem I've had with Avast!, but not having the ability adjust settings easily and intuitively is more than a little annoying.
  4. Joined
    06 Jan '10
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 22:13
    Apparently it was all a huge glitch with Avast! Their website was being hammered with people with the same problem. They seem to have it sorted out now.

Still, any suggestions for a better anti-virus system? The cheaper the better. I'm a cheap bastard.
  5. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 22:18
    AVG for nowt is fine along with MS Malicious Software Removal Tool ...used in conjunction with google chrome is simpleton proof and pretty smooooth as far as I'm concerned.
  6. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    11 Apr '11 23:18
    AVG and Avira both have freeware versions and both seem to work pretty well.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    12 Apr '11 00:31
    Free plain-vanilla Microsoft Security Essentials seems to work just fine.
  8. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    12 Apr '11 07:56
    I've had problems with Norton and AVG. I've been using Avast for some years now and it's not given me any grief. If you liked it before, and the problem has now been fixed, why not just carry on with it?

There's loads of stuff you can use and each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Whichever one you choose, there will always be some self-appointed smartarse to tell you it's "crappy" and to use their preferred software.
  9. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    12 Apr '11 13:36
    Originally posted by Mombak
    Arg.

My Avast! antivirus updated itself this morning, and has now decided that redhotpawn is nothing but malware, thus blocking me. I've been able to add it to the exclusion lists, but Avast! is still being ever so helpful by warning me with every page I visit on redhotpawn (along with the added advantage of a 3-4 second delay for each page load as it read ...[text shortened]... ing up. Perhaps the code for the ads has been changed to something that Avast! doesn't like?
    /start sales pitch
    Keep your AV software, just remove ads by subscribing!
    /end sales pitch

Norton seems many times better than it used to be. That is, it doesnt kill your PC like it used to.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Apr '11 21:07
    Originally posted by Russ

Norton seems many times better than it used to be. That is, it doesnt kill your PC like it used to.
    should be their new advertising solgan... 'norton - we don't kill your pc like we used to'
  11. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 15:42
    I am very disappoint. I thought there were going to be pirates in this thread.
  12. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 18:14
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    There are four pirates, you just have to find them

Reveal Hidden Content
    Pirate 1

Reveal Hidden Content
    Pirate 2

Reveal Hidden Content
    Pirate 3

Reveal Hidden Content
    Not here, keep looking

Reveal Hidden Content
    Pirate 4
  13. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 18:15
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    There are four pirates, you just have to find them

Reveal Hidden Content
    Pirate 1

Reveal Hidden Content
    Pirate 2

Reveal Hidden Content
    Pirate 3

Reveal Hidden Content
    Not here, keep looking

Reveal Hidden Content
    Pirate 4

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree