Castling in set board setup

Castling in set board setup

Help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
13 Jun 09

I'd like to set up the first six moves, and then start a new game with another player. When I try to castle, however, it says

"Illegal piece positioning for white king side castle"

despite the fact that Castling Available is on. Is there a trick to castling other than just moving the king two spots right? Once this happens, it no longer presents the "start with this board" button.

F

Moves
13 Jun 09

Originally posted by markinmadison
I'd like to set up the first six moves, and then start a new game with another player. When I try to castle, however, it says

"Illegal piece positioning for white king side castle"

despite the fact that Castling Available is on. Is there a trick to castling other than just moving the king two spots right? Once this happens, it no longer presents the "start with this board" button.
In order to answer your question, I think we need the FEN for your set up position. Can you copy the FEN and paste it into here?

m

Moves
14 Jun 09

r2qkbnr/ppp2ppp/2np4/4p3/4P1b1/2NB1N2/PPPP1PPP/R1BQK2R w KQkq - 0 1

There's the board after four moves. I'm trying to castle to the king side. "Castling available" is checked. If I try to castle, I get the error messages.

markinmadison

F

Moves
15 Jun 09

Originally posted by markinmadison
r2qkbnr/ppp2ppp/2np4/4p3/4P1b1/2NB1N2/PPPP1PPP/R1BQK2R w KQkq - 0 1

There's the board after four moves. I'm trying to castle to the king side. "Castling available" is checked. If I try to castle, I get the error messages.

markinmadison
I don't see anything illegal with this. No error message should be shown. The part "KQkq" says that both sides can castle both ways.

I suggest you give a "send feedback" to the RHP staff and ask them. There's a link at the bottom of each page. Refer to this thread. And please tell us what happens.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
17 Jun 09

When using the "set up board" option, play the moves, but move the king and rook individually to castle, then switch off the check box that says castling is available.

This will remove the "error" and allow you to start the game.